Ask Jan Ove Waldner

This user has no status.
Jan-Ove-Waldner.jpg

If you could ask Jan Ove Waldner one question, what would it be?

Last edited:

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀
Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
I am very interested in the structure of Jan Ove Waldner's training when he was a young boy. What type of practice did he do and did he believe when he was young that he could become the worlds best player of all time?

I want to know if he thinks he is talented or did he put in ridiculous hours of training as a youngster.

This user has no status.
Dan, J-O answered that question in an interview earlier, you can check it out here, http://www.pingisfan.se/2010/04/interview-with-waldner-english-version/
He said he played 6-7 hours every day with members of the national team since he was 14. In the documentary "Bragden" they talk about the revelation they got when they came to China for the first time. They changed their way of practice after that.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
I would like to know his opinion on today´s modern table tennis, compared to the pre-VOC ban age, since in my opinion, the game used to be more tactical and one had to be one step ahead of the rival, where you didnt look for long rallys but to outwit your opponent, where as now, I think the only strategy is to serve safe and kind of tricky, go for the third ball, and end the point asap.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2013
Good point. I agree with that. Today's players tend to be similar to each other, especially for men, that's one of the reasons I pay more attentions on women's players.
I would like to know his opinion on today´s modern table tennis, compared to the pre-VOC ban age, since in my opinion, the game used to be more tactical and one had to be one step ahead of the rival, where you didnt look for long rallys but to outwit your opponent, where as now, I think the only strategy is to serve safe and kind of tricky, go for the third ball, and end the point asap.