Please help me choose a bat

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2013
I've been playing table tennis on and off over the years and I am at a reasonable standard. My style tends to be quite aggressive, with lots of topspin drives. I just went to my local club for the first time and used the club bat. All good and well, but I fancy something a little better. :) I am prepared to spend £100 or less on a decent bat.

Ideally, I would like to something where its fairly fast and where I can do some nice looping topspin drives. I like the idea of a bat that is already made up, rather than having to glue it, although the option to do that in future would be nice (if I get into a league or something).

What would you recommend I get?

Thanks,

Jon

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Jon, wherever you order your gear from, the place will assemble the bat for FREE.

There are endless combinations of blade and rubber for that price range as long as you do not spend too much on your balde.

Looking at Tees Sport Online...

Try...

BTY Korbel OFF for 39 GBP

Rubbers Tibhar Aurus for GBP 30 and Aurus Soft for 30 GBP or H3 Neo for 23 GBP

This will get you a great bat right around your specified budget.

Of course, this is not the only way to go for an OFF flexible topspin attacking game. Dozens or hundreds of other combos possible at this price. You need a controllable OFF blade and decent modern rubbers. This will certainly fit the bill at your price point.

Reactions: Kenta Cipriano
This user has no status.
I would recommend tabletennis11 shop.
The service is just fast and clean,and the prices are pretty fair,with dozens of choices and reviews.
Im a kind of offensive-agressive player,with some pace-control counter-attack game,based in topspin and drives,and today i just tried DHS skyline 2 neo,which i found great for FH,and fine(great blocks and lifts,not much speed) for BH.
In the blades oppinion,you could go for and OFF one,like Der_Echte said,it might suit you well for attack,and still with a good ball feeling,and if you think you need faster,then you look for something with carbon,or even an off+.

Blades (looping offensive close to mid distance from table,and at a good price/performance relation,classified as OFF+,but the feeling is great,so i fell like they seem between OFF/OFF+):

-Xion Extreme S - http://www.tabletennis11.com/other_eng/tt-blade-xiom-extreme-s#.UdTi3G20T5I

-Yasaka Max Wood(the one im using) - http://www.tabletennis11.com/other_eng/tt-blade-yasaka-max-wood#.UdTjmG20T5I

-DHS pg7 - http://www.tabletennis11.com/other_eng/tt-blade-dhs-pg7-off#.UdTkL220T5I

All of these blades are within same ball feeling(wood constrution),and same speed and control,being the variation quite small between them.
The quality of them are very good normally.
Im speaking in terms of experience with this blades,not of reviews checking.
And could say more of them here,but the prices would go higher,and maybe they are not what you really need.
About rubbers...

Price/performance,always ...:

-g666 (many loopers are using this,guess why :) ) - http://www.tabletennis11.com/other_eng/tt-rubber-dhs-g666#.UdTmSW20T5I

-Donic desto f3 big slam - http://www.tabletennis11.com/other_eng/tt-rubber-donic-desto-f3-big-slam#.UdTnBW20T5I

-Tibhar Aurus (good rep rubber amoung the forum) - http://www.tabletennis11.com/other_eng/tt-rubber-tibhar-aurus#.UdTnaG20T5I

-dhs tg2neo/tg3neo (tried and loving it) - http://www.tabletennis11.com/other_eng/tt-rubber-dhs-skyline-2-neo#.UdTn8m20T5I
http://www.tabletennis11.com/other_eng/tt-rubber-dhs-skyline-3-neo#.UdTn7W20T5I

and many other choices :)

Just look around the site and check(not advertising),by the reviews you may find something that calls your attention,if you know what i mean :)

Good luck with that...

keep trainin'

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2013
Thank you for your detailed replies! I do find it all a bit daunting.

Would a Stiga Titanium ready made bat be suitable?

I am not that great at interpreting the characteristic from the sales blurb.

Also, where would you recommend I buy a bat from? Tabletennisdirect.com seems to be on holiday right now.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2013
Read 7 reviews
Thank you for your detailed replies! I do find it all a bit daunting.

Would a Stiga Titanium ready made bat be suitable?

I am not that great at interpreting the characteristic from the sales blurb.

Also, where would you recommend I buy a bat from? Tabletennisdirect.com seems to be on holiday right now.

Usually premade is not recommended for the high price and low quality ratio, but I found an interesting one in the Racket section of tabletennis11.com. A Donic Waldner Senso Carbon pair with Bluefire JP01 for a price lower than buying seperately. Don't know if it is assembled by TT11 or supply direct by Donic. It should be one great and fast blade in the price range. A genuine bargain. Problem is it may be too fast for you.

http://www.tabletennis11.com/other_eng/tt-racket-donic-waldner-legend-carbon-tt96601439

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2013
Usually premade is not recommended for the high price and low quality ratio, but I found an interesting one in the Racket section of tabletennis11.com. A Donic Waldner Senso Carbon pair with Bluefire JP01 for a price lower than buying seperately. Don't know if it is assembled by TT11 or supply direct by Donic. It should be one great and fast blade in the price range. A genuine bargain. Problem is it may be too fast for you.

http://www.tabletennis11.com/other_eng/tt-racket-donic-waldner-legend-carbon-tt96601439

It's assembled by them.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2013
After a bit of research, What currently attracts me is:

Rubbers - Tibhar Aurus. Not sure which version though.
Blade - Butterfly Balsa Carbo X5.

Would that be a good combo for what I want? Or would the Blade be too fast? i.e. would I be better off with a Butterfly Primorac Classic?

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I would favor the Primorac Wood blade over the X5 Balsa any day of the week. Korbel if you want a little more pop from a BTY wood blade or a Korbel 7. Want a little less pace but great spin and control go for my $10 special Galaxy 896. Either version of Aurus is very spinny, soft has great control but you wont blast it though the wall vs anyone with Aurus soft.

Try regular on FH and Soft on BH. I can get by with soft on FH on a wood blade, but on composite blades, I hate on soft real fierce.

Primorac with Aurus is a good choice for a flexible OFF control attacking game for sure.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2013
I've read that the Primorac is a very popular bat. One question that comes to mind is that the X5 Balsa is a more expensive bat, so I am curious why you would strongly favour the Primorac. I am thinking perhaps a more expensive bat is more expensive for a reason?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2013
I've read that the Primorac is a very popular bat. One question that comes to mind is that the X5 Balsa is a more expensive bat, so I am curious why you would strongly favour the Primorac. I am thinking perhaps a more expensive bat is more expensive for a reason?

Made of more expensive wood/carbon layers which means nothing. Get the Primorac Off- and slap x2 Sriver FX 2.1 or Mark V 2.0mm and you should be fine.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2013
I've read that the Sriver FX is a fairly slow rubber that is good for beginners. Does putting the 2.1 make it reasonably faster?

I don't consider myself a beginner. I just rejoined a club recently and gave good games to some league players there, even though I was using a house bat. Played 6 games, lost 5, won 1.

says Aging is a killer
The Primorac is a brilliant blade that will serve well to whatever level you achieve.
The 2.1 will ultimately have more spin but you will have to be a very good player to take advantage. It sounds weird, but at this stage, it's easier for you to achieve good spin and top speed with a Sriver 2mm.
If you use too fast equipment, you will forever be fighting to control it than simply putting the ball where you want it to go.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2013
I went for a Primorac OFF - with 1.9mm Sriver FX front and back. Thanks for all the help guys.

This user has no status.
I've been playing table tennis on and off over the years and I am at a reasonable standard. My style tends to be quite aggressive, with lots of topspin drives. I just went to my local club for the first time and used the club bat. All good and well, but I fancy something a little better. :) I am prepared to spend £100 or less on a decent bat.

Ideally, I would like to something where its fairly fast and where I can do some nice looping topspin drives. I like the idea of a bat that is already made up, rather than having to glue it, although the option to do that in future would be nice (if I get into a league or something).

Thanks,

Jon

Would that be a good combo for what I want? Or would the Blade be too fast? i.e. would I be better off with a Butterfly Primorac Classic?

I have also Butterfly Balsa Carbo X5 (71 grams) which I normally use. In my humble opinion, this blade mix between attack and control. Very comfortable and fits perfectly in my hand which is small, because my hands are too small to hold a heavy blade. Good for playing Loop, spin, and flick. And also cheap, about $75 - $84.

This user has no status.

Thanks,

Jon

I have also Butterfly Balsa Carbo X5 (71 grams) which I normally use. In my humble opinion, this blade mix between attack and control. Very comfortable and fits perfectly in my hand which is small, because my hands are too small to hold a heavy blade. Good for playing Loop, spin, and flick. And also cheap, about $75 - $84.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2012
Check out the new Uberpong blade (www.uberpong.com/blades). You can add your own rubber or create your own custom bat here: www.uberpong.com/custom-paddles

Thanks,

Jon