says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
Administrator
Oct 2010
GAC Group 2013 ITTF World Tour, US Open, Americas Challenge Series ,03 Jul 2013 - 06 Jul 2013, Las Vegas, USA

The Asian Championships has now moved into the singles stages, elsewhere in the table tennis world we have the US Open World Tour! The US Open is the eighth World Tour of the year and will take place in the city of Las Vegas from Wednesday 03rd to Saturday 6th July, a tournament with a total prize fund of 'unknown as of yet'. Sweden's Jens Lundqvist leads the Men's Singles seedings at the upcoming ITTF World Tour US Open. Recent Japan Open winner Masato*Shiono*enters the tournament as the number 8 seed!

Total number of entries so far is: 183

Main Draw

Men's Singles
Women's Singles

Live matches from the US Open can be watched in the ITTF Live Streaming which has playback on demand with integrated chat!

Sweden's Jens Lundqvist, the World #56 has entered the US Open as the #1 seed.

jensusopen.JPG

Jens Lundqvist the no.1 seed, photo by: Reuters/Charles Platiau

Men's Singles Seeds

zoranusopen.jpg

Croatia's Zoran Primorac enters the tournament as the #2 seed - Photo by: An Sang Ho

01) Jens Lundqvist
02) Zoran Primorac
03) Wang Eugene
04) Robert Svensson
05) Ryusuke Karube
06) Marcos Madrid
07) Andrei Filimon
08) Masato Shiono
09) Filip Szymanski
10) Kentaro Miuchi
11) Ryan Jenkins
12) Chen Hongtao
13) Pierre-Luc Theriault
14) Jishan Liang
15) Zhou Xin
16) Tatsuya Ono

For full Men's entries click here.

Women Singles Seeds

samaraus.jpg

Elizabeta Samara enters the tournament as the #1 seed - Photo by: libertatea.ro

01) Elizabeta Samara
02) Georgina Pota
03) Petrissa Solja
04) Lily Zhang
05) Ariel Hsing
06) Ana-Maria*Erdelji
07) Liying Tang
08) Mo Zhang

For full Women's entries click here.

Live matches from the US Open can be watched in the ITTF Live Streaming which has playback on demand with integrated chat!

What an interesting line up we have here guys! Who will be crowned US Champion? Can recent Japan Open winner Masato*Shiono*cause huge upsets on the scene. Can Sweden's Jens*Lundqvist prove his seeding, will table tennis legend Zoran Primorac give the young players a run for their money.

We can use this thread as a means to display all the latest results, videos and news from this spectacular World Tour event! What are your predictions from each event.

Administrator
Oct 2010
Last 16 Results - Men's Singles - 5th July

Jens Lundqvist 4-1 Pierre-Luc Theriault
Marcos Madrid 4-0 Ryan Jenkins
Wenzhang Tao 4-1 Kentaro Miuchi
Wang Eugene 4-1 Wang Qingliang
Yang Ce 4-1 Ono Tatsuya
Tatsuo Seyama 4-0 Li Tianyu
Masato Shiono 4-0 Yuan Xiaojie
Zoran Primorac 4-2 Takanori Shimoyama

Administrator
Oct 2010
Masato Shiono the Japan Open Champion who defeated world number 6 (Chuang Chih Yuan), 28 (Kenta Matsudaira), 58 (Li Hu), 19 (Koki Niwa) and 26 (Chen Chien-An) is now out as he lost to experienced Zoran Primorac in 6 sets!

shionomasato.jpg

Photo - ITTF Facebook Page

What are your thoughts?

Reactions: MDanielCRO
says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
My thoughts areeeee....saw it coming lol

I knew Primorac would struggle at first, but considering he comes from a 38mm era where choppers were much more effective and the fact that his slower more control spin style would be more consistent against Shiono, I'm not surprised at the result.

I had picked that Shiono would either outright win the US Open or he would find it very hard, primarily because at Japan Open he faced no European players, the style is different, they hit the ball later and Primorac wasn't going to hit through him, so there is less risk and he is less likely to make easy errors.

I think experience won out, when you can't hit through somebody you need superior tactics in order to win and it was that reliance on clever tactics which brought Primorac through in the end. Also Shiono really didn't have the passive/aggressive balance right, his moments on attack were very effective but few and far between and I think that made the difference in the end.

Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
My god! Eugene Wang and Megumi Abe are the champions. Eugene overcame Lundqvist 4-0 and Yang Ce 4-1 in the final. Yang Ce had beaten Primorac 4-1 in the semifinal, another great effort by a young chinese player in their maiden World Tour appearance.

Megumi Abe is ranked 203 in the world, she basically did a 'Shiono' she won 4-1 against Ariel Hsing WR 101, 4-0 against Petrissa Solja WR 64, 4-1 against Georgina Pota WR 62 and then 4-1 in the final against Elizabeta Samara WR 19! Amazing run of wins for Abe :D