PDA

View Full Version : Defensive Players

DruvCarbonBlade
07-06-2013, 08:48 PM
So obviously the majority of major table tennis players are offensive. Although there are a few major defensive table tennis players such as JOO Se-Hyuk and CHEN Weixing (Even though Joo is WAY better than Chen). However I seem to have trouble finding other players that are defensive. Why do you think that there aren't as many defensive players. Do you think there are any benefits to the defensive playing style?

tan.theveteran
05-16-2014, 03:34 AM
So obviously the majority of major table tennis players are offensive. Although there are a few major defensive table tennis players such as JOO Se-Hyuk and CHEN Weixing (Even though Joo is WAY better than Chen). However I seem to have trouble finding other players that are defensive. Why do you think that there aren't as many defensive players. Do you think there are any benefits to the defensive playing style?
mentally maybe? I mean it is kinda frustrating to miss some easy shots caused by a defender. especially if those unforced errors pile up. and defenders can have a lot of variety in terms of return. backspin, no spin or side spin. If you are not consistent enough or focused enough you would end up self destructing.. atleast that's what I think.
I also wonder if its as much tiring to make a defensive shot as to make a power loop or spin.

mahomedy13
05-16-2014, 05:19 PM
Offensive is better than defensive-the results prove this.

also there arent many defenders in the top 20(actually theres only 1!)

so futuristic players might see these stats and choose differently.

Old School
05-16-2014, 07:53 PM
I like SEO Hyowon, female def playing is more fun to watch then male for some reason.

mahomedy13
05-17-2014, 03:21 PM
in male tt ,I like JSH the most,because he plays brilliantly.

However,I also enjoy watching Masato SHiono play.He puts on a great show,and I think he will be replacing JSH as no.1 defender

For women-Yuka Ishigaki-she plays really well

akonebrahim
05-17-2014, 04:42 PM
For me-shiono!

anchorschmidt
06-10-2014, 10:09 AM
Chen Weixing has a terrible attitude. I've seen him throw his bat so many times. Joo Se Hyuk is more skilled and has much better temperament.

GrumpyJoe
06-11-2014, 12:44 PM
Playing a defensive game is not as easy as you might think. To compete at a high level you need to be good at offence and defense. Its easy to go to a club and find someone to do FH to FH or BH to BH drills. Try to find anyone to help a defender practice chops. Its not as easy as you would think. Nowadays a lot of people are just looking for the quick kill. Get the point over as soon as possible. And thats fine. If you want that type of game. Defenders also have a different state of mind. I wont go into a game thinking I'm going to hit it thru him. I look at it like "go ahead and try to get it past me". To compete at the pro level as a defender is very difficult. The ball is so fast nowadays it's almost not worth even trying. So give us Defenders a break and understand what we are going through.

Der_Echte
06-11-2014, 06:23 PM
CWX (and his attitude) totally rocks !!

HEY GRUMPY !!! :cool:

Der_Echte
06-11-2014, 06:26 PM
Old School... SHW's CHOs are moar fun too.

toripoff
06-13-2014, 01:11 PM
i agreee.. its true

Gustav.Lindroth
06-13-2014, 01:50 PM
my favorite defencive player is Ruwen Filus

TTournaments
06-13-2014, 02:49 PM
Wang Xi and Filus are my favorites!

iammaru
07-13-2014, 06:37 PM
I love Ruwen Filus, too. He is very unpredictable, unlike other defensive players (not that they aren't good). At the top level, offensive is better than defensive, but if there are less defensive players, the offensive players won't be familiar with the defensive style and it will give the rare defensive players some advantage.

MV_Smoove_BHD
07-14-2014, 10:34 AM
How about Yuto Muramatsu?
Especially the young japanese players like Muramatsu, Shiono etc. are on the rise.

boxpox
07-14-2014, 11:26 AM
there are not much defensive players because the game has been speeden up alot because of these new carbon blades... so its very difficult to sustain for these defensive players !! :)

Fab
08-22-2014, 12:27 PM
There are some reasons why only few defensive players are among the top 100.

The defensive style is - after some practice - easy to calculate for attackers. With long pimples there are not many variations possible.
Defenders have to learn more strokes than attackers (modern defenders).
There are only few coaches who focus on defenders in their training group.
And even less coaches who really can develop a defender to world class level.
Also it is easier for an attacker to attack a backspin ball very hard because of the ball's curve.
And, with the ratio for pimples the pimple rubbers are less dangerous than they have been before that ratio.

Jo Se Hyuk is a brilliant defender because he is the safest defender in the world. He can defend both sides and his topspin is as hard as any topspin of top 10 players.
That is what makes him special for a defender, besides his footwork and anticipation for the ball.

I think at the moment there is no other defender who can play on a similar level which Joo has had a few years ago.

Gesendet von meinem iPad mit Tapata

ranniely
08-22-2014, 12:55 PM
Imo, Gionis Panagiotis is the king of defensive game in Europe. I can't believe he hasn't been mentioned before!

ZhangJikeTheBest
08-22-2014, 07:36 PM
I think Muramatso has a bright future ahead of him! He is the next Matsushita; just look at his performance in the YOG!

rafayoga
08-29-2014, 03:55 PM
To win against a defensive, u have to use lot of pacience and lot of variation in your strong. Strong spins and soft spins make u crazy

SquareBall
08-30-2014, 01:14 PM
Gionis Panagiotis is so fun to watch defensive player :p