Table Tennis Equipment

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2013
Help for setting up my paddle

Hey guys ! I started to play TT 2 years ago ! until now i have had only pre-assembled paddles ! and now i want to buy tabletennis11
i was thinking of this combination :

Blade : DHS Power G3 OFF

FH : DHS Hurricane 3 NEO
BH : Tibhar 1Q XD !!

what do u think ? can u suggest smth else.. max budget 100 EUR !!!

thnx !

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
you would be better off with

DHS PG8
Xiom asia both sides if you dont have good experience with hurricanes.

if you have good experince with Hurricanes then go with one Hurricane rubber and one xiom asia

Which Xiom rubber are you saying he should get the Asia hardness for? Omega IV, Sigma I, Sigma II?

I personally like softer rubber for the backhand than Asia. Everyone is different.

Omega IV is good rubber. I tried Sigma II. I like it even better than Omega IV. But both are great. Sigma II feels like it grabs the ball just as well as Omega IV but it is not quite as jumpy. And the Xiom rubbers last a long time and spin the ball really well.

But the edges of the Omega IV are a little delicate and tend to get little tears in them. It does not affect the play of the rubber, but somehow the edges are more delicate than most rubbers. I think the Sigma II might be a little bit better for that than the Omega IV though.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2013
Read 7 reviews
You have not talk about your level but 2 years of play should have all the basics covered. 100 euro is a lot for a first custom blade. If it is me I will go for the Donic Baum Esprit, great value for a Timo Boll Spirit clone, with Nittaku Fastarc G1/S1 both sides should set you back under 75 euro.

I will only buy products with discount from TT11, unless I can go over 300 euro in my total order and take a big 30% off. I think they had raised their price quite a bit and their normal price is nothing special anymore.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Which Xiom rubber are you saying he should get the Asia hardness for? Omega IV, Sigma I, Sigma II?

I personally like softer rubber for the backhand than Asia. Everyone is different.

Omega IV is good rubber. I tried Sigma II. I like it even better than Omega IV. But both are great. Sigma II feels like it grabs the ball just as well as Omega IV but it is not quite as jumpy. And the Xiom rubbers last a long time and spin the ball really well.

But the edges of the Omega IV are a little delicate and tend to get little tears in them. It does not affect the play of the rubber, but somehow the edges are more delicate than most rubbers. I think the Sigma II might be a little bit better for that than the Omega IV though.

I just completed my first week using Xiom Sigma II Euro on FOREHAND of a very flexy ALL+ Looping blade and that rubber plays GREAT on that setup. I do have a very high blade speed at impact and can generate heavy spin with any modern rubber, but Sigma II Euro on this blade is super good.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I can give a suggestion for beginners, but it is so low priced and plays so well, it is ridiculous and no pundit will jump on that bandwagon.

My coach just asked me after our club tourney to come up with 5, yes FIVE more of my ALL+ looping blade form China that costs $10 - $15 USD before shipping depending on who you get it from. haha, she said that right after I ordered 4 already just to keep ONE as everyone in Korea at every club I go to asks me to hook them up with one of these blades after they see me play and I let them use it.

Galaxy 896 with dawei XP 2008 Super Power, a $7 rubber. What a control outfit for anyone, beginner, intermediate, or even lower advanced player.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
H3 Neo is a pretty nifty rubber. Decent low priced, excellent control, and usable on both BH and FH (in an emergency) H3 holds up very well in humid conditions. T05 really sucks when you play in max humidity. I see nothing wrong with our friend trying H3 Neo, but like everyone says, we all need equipment suiting US, not the mainstream sometimes.

This user has no status.
the Galaxy 896 blade is indeed a blade with a super excellent price/quality ratio !!
i dont know the Dawei XP2008 super power rubber, but having seen Der Echte's backhand with it (the youtube film posted on this forum) , it seems totally OK !!!

as for a cheap rubber tip for forehand i would suggest a Friendship New 729-2 sensor (in 1,8 mm), i have played with it during more than a competition season, really good spin, not tacky but very grippy , really good control, it is clearly faster than the regular/standard friendship 729 FX (which i find really slow)
durability is excellent, i boosted it with 2 small layers of paraffine oil (lamp oil) , and i have to warn also that the rubber has to be played in for about 5 hours before the sponge gets dynamic
sponge hardness is something like 47° (for me a Sriver L is 40° as a reference), but unlike other hard rubbers (i am thinking about eg the regular 729 FX), it feels less hard (44° ish)

good for near the table push, block, topspin, but also for 2nd position play

when you smash with it it isn't very very fast though, there is on passive strokes no catapult effect, but on fast strokes you get good speed

i am convinced this is a very good rubber to learn all strokes of table tennis

either way, the Galaxy 896 that Der Echte has mentioned is surely good enough for even a very decent player !!
i would suggest to listen to the advice of us "older" guys, who have tested a lot of equipment during the years (like Der Echte, Carl, Azlan ...)

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Help for setting up my paddle

Hey guys ! I started to play TT 2 years ago ! until now i have had only pre-assembled paddles ! and now i want to buy tabletennis11
i was thinking of this combination :

Blade : DHS Power G3 OFF

FH : DHS Hurricane 3 NEO
BH : Tibhar 1Q XD !!

what do u think ? can u suggest smth else.. max budget 100 EUR !!!

thnx !

If you want something excellent and very inexpensive, go for the wood and rubber Der_Echte has suggested.

But, there is information some information from you that would help us give you more informed information about setups that might be good for you.

What is your level of play? Are you an offensive player, allround player or a defensive player? Do you loop from both sides? Do you like playing close to the table, playing at mid-distance or far from the table? Do you do chop? Lob? Smash? Loop?

Give some details about how you play.

Also, give some details about what you would like from a new racket: fast? slow? in between? Control over Speed? or Speed over Control? Spin over Speed? or Speed over Spin?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Before you answer to what UpSideDownCarl asks,is hard to figure out what you need.
There's a immense universe about TT equipment,some suits some gameplays,some others.
Anything between Allround game is easily setted up with an all+/off- blade,and some non catapult rubbers.
If you are more Allround offensive,you get a Forehand fast rubber,on the blades i mentioned,makes the difference when attacking.
For BackHand,just loop for something with good control,if you dont have that great technique with your BH,it should improve it.
Feel free to question us.

Good luck

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2013
If you want something excellent and very inexpensive, go for the wood and rubber Der_Echte has suggested.

But, there is information some information from you that would help us give you more informed information about setups that might be good for you.

What is your level of play? Are you an offensive player, allround player or a defensive player? Do you loop from both sides? Do you like playing close to the table, playing at mid-distance or far from the table? Do you do chop? Lob? Smash? Loop?

Give some details about how you play.

Also, give some details about what you would like from a new racket: fast? slow? in between? Control over Speed? or Speed over Control? Spin over Speed? or Speed over Spin?

Well ! Intermediate level ! Im an offensive player , i can loop from both sides , i like playing close to the table and mid-distance . when im far from the table the ball goes in to the net 40 % for now like i said i like playing close to the table and mid-distance !
I chop but rarely coz I try to loop the ball again and again or block it , and I Smash whenever I have a chance.

i want a fast racket , speed over spin

ps. sorry for my english . In our country its not the mother language :) !

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Well ! Intermediate level ! Im an offensive player , i can loop from both sides , i like playing close to the table and mid-distance . when im far from the table the ball goes in to the net 40 % for now like i said i like playing close to the table and mid-distance !
I chop but rarely coz I try to loop the ball again and again or block it , and I Smash whenever I have a chance.

i want a fast racket , speed over spin

Okay. So based on what you have said, you can do all the strokes but you are primarily an offensive player.

As an intermediate player who is looking to build a racket for the first time rather than buying a preassembled bat, it is common to think you want speed over spin. Probably Off- or even All+ is enough more speed than the rackets you are using. I would not recommend something too fast. Definitely not Off+ and probably not Off. Most developing offensive players make the mistake of getting a racket that is Off or Off+ and the interesting thing is, a racket at that speed can inhibit your development. It ends up being so fast that you cut down your stroke without having a REALLY good stroke, even if your stroke is decent for your level. It ends up having so little dwell time that, if you do not already know how to keep the ball on the rubber, you will never learn to do that really well with the faster blade.

Probably what Der_Echte has suggested is really one of the best setups for you, and definitely what Der_Echte recommended is the best price for anything anywhere close to as good as that.

Galaxy 896 blade with
Dawei XP 2008 Super Power Rubber

The rubber phillypong mentions for forehand would be good as well.

If you are not satisfied with something that is that inexpensive, you could get something like this:

Stiga Tube Allround
Xiom Vega Pro FH
Xiom Vega Europe BH

That setup would not be that much better than the Galaxy 896 setup but, it would be a little. The Galaxy Setup would cost $30-$35.00 USD (22-27 Euro), The Stiga setup would cost $110-130 USD (86-94 Euro). It would be a little better and a have a little more zip. Not much. Definitely not as much as the price differential. :)

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
By they way, I could list hundreds of rubbers that would go nicely with either setup aside from the ones mentioned.

Dawei Inspirit, Dawei Saviga, Joola Mambo, Sriver, Sriver FX, Yasaka Mark V.

These are all rubbers in the category of not too expensive and not as reactive to spin as something like Xiom Omega IV or Butterfly Tenergy. You should wait till after you have used rubbers like the ones listed above for a while before you try some of those speed glue effect/new technology rubbers.

But, Xiom Vega is close enough in performance while not being quite as expensive and the Dawei rubbers are all really good and very inexpensive for what they can do.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Galaxy 896 with dawei XP 2008 Super Power, a $7 rubber. What a control outfit for anyone, beginner, intermediate, or even lower advanced player.

Hey Der_Echte, can you give him a link to a website where he can get these? :) Okay, I know you can. So, go for it. :)

Last edited:
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I buy my 896 from www.colestt.com or from www.eacheng.net

I would also buy the 896 from Nexy if they had it, but they got the n Series as their primary all-wood galaxy blade.

I use the XP 2008 on BH wing, as it costs next to nothing and has great control, but my Fh is always pickier. Honestly, I can play well with most inverted rubbers 2.1 or max on BH wind, it really doesn't matter to me. Since I can play well with XP 2008 and it costs next to nothing and lasts... I primarily use that and sometimes try out different rubber on BH wing that I tried on FH and wasn't in love with it.

The H3 NEO could be effective on FH and I can sometimes get by with it.

On the 896, I find Aurus, Aurus soft, Xiom sigma I Euro, and Sigma II Euro work great as a FH rubber, even in Sigma I is a little lower throw. I have been really impressed with Sigma II Euro on 896 blade. Calibra LT Sound could work there I reckon.

The fastest, spinniest counterlooping rubber for this blade by far has been Andro Rasant. All In all though, I love Aurus and Sigma II on FH wing for this blade.

I have been dying to get my hands on the Arirang when it comes out and will switch to that blade when I can get it. Until then, playing more rallies, like I am always forced to do when testing slower ALL+ or OFF- blades is helping my game big time and when I get the low to medium range OFF blade I like going for me, I will be liking both worlds. Until then, it is 896 all the way.

Whenever I would like to keep ONE 896, it seems I have to order 5, yes FIVE or so of them as everyone in the club, the coach, a friend, or even players from other clubs text me to stop by again with another 896.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
On my last order from echeng, I also got some Dawei Inspirit Quattro on sale and slapped together a bat with XP 2008 and Quattro as FH rubber. I played a match with our club No 2 player and won by the same margin I usually win, usually 3-1 with several close games. I couldn't generate as much spin as I do with the latest modern rubbers I prefer, but I still landed my shots and won, even if I was more than a little wanting more spin.

This just goes to show that confidence and feel, while indeed important aspects of selecting equipment, are not the everything. Results count for a lot as well.

Having said that, I will likely give that bat to coach for her students she is trying to assemble a lot of bats.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Another thing to consider for an OFF player is to get the heaviest weight available of the model you like.

The 896 is supposed to com in at 85 grams and that is real light to me already and right at the ALL+ speed zone.

I ALWAYS specifically ask to send me the heaviest ones remaining in the inventory.

WHY? You get a better feeling blade with more power and good control. An 89 gram version of the 896 plays like an OFF- blade.

When I get a TBS, if it isn't 90+ grams, it feels too weak and slow to me.

That just isn't me, a LOT of top amateur and pro players will insist on the heavy side for the same blade.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Furry, I like playing from distance if I am forced to do so. I like slugging it out from distance. You always have some fun looking rallies that way, but I always stay close to the table if I can.

When someone is trying to loop topspin from distance, although you need a very forward stroke with very solid impact, you still have to lift the ball a little, whether that is with blade angle or swing plane. You just need to get someone to keep giving you these topspins at mid distance to get used to the timing and the type of swing you need. You can loop from distance with any 2.1 or max sponge effective enough, although some rubbers will work better or easier for you when you try them all out. Another thing is sometimes we over estimate the incoming spin, that will make you net your shot and look at you bat in disbelief. Could be a lot of things making your loop from distance go into the net. Just try practicing some more and experiment with your bat angle and also your swing plane. Do not drop shoulder like you are looping bottom spin, but drop down waist a little and use those legs and hips to start it all off. The counter topsin from distance is a very natural shot once you learn the timing or your partner's ball.

Reactions: --Furry--
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2013
Furry, I like playing from distance if I am forced to do so. I like slugging it out from distance. You always have some fun looking rallies that way, but I always stay close to the table if I can.

When someone is trying to loop topspin from distance, although you need a very forward stroke with very solid impact, you still have to lift the ball a little, whether that is with blade angle or swing plane. You just need to get someone to keep giving you these topspins at mid distance to get used to the timing and the type of swing you need. You can loop from distance with any 2.1 or max sponge effective enough, although some rubbers will work better or easier for you when you try them all out. Another thing is sometimes we over estimate the incoming spin, that will make you net your shot and look at you bat in disbelief. Could be a lot of things making your loop from distance go into the net. Just try practicing some more and experiment with your bat angle and also your swing plane. Do not drop shoulder like you are looping bottom spin, but drop down waist a little and use those legs and hips to start it all off. The counter topsin from distance is a very natural shot once you learn the timing or your partner's ball.

thanks for the advice Der_Echte :) I'll try