Largest Table Tennis playing crowd in Europe/USA

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Hi guys,
I am planning to pursue my graduation studies either in USA or Europe. If things go according to the plan, i might be spending at least 4 years.

I just wanted to know which place you think has really good number of people playing TT in Europe and USA. This would help me select the Universities accordingly ! :)

Thanks
Abhay

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Basically my plan is to pursue my doctorate :)
I will be applying to many universities , some them which are in my mind are

1. Austria - TU Wien, University of Innsbruck,
2. Germany - many universities
3. Switzerland - University of Lugano
4. Sweden

This is just an initial list :) Which country in Europe is Table Tennis most popular?

Last edited:
says Hello FbERN! I think it is a good choice :)
says Hello FbERN! I think it is a good choice :)
Dec 2012
From these you have listed i would go with Germany.
Switzerland is rather small (and expensive) and doesnt have many players.
Sweden has now good youth programmes and I am sure you will find some places to play! :)

Austria also has many tt-players although on the first look you won't notice :)
If you will enter at TU Wien (a very good university) just tell me. I live in Vienna and will guide you through.
We can play together in a club where i have the keys so we can play as much and whenever we want :) if you plan to stay longer you can even play league in my club or even in my team :)

you should click on my signature, if you haven't heard of Piing of Power, i am one of these guys, i'm sure we would have a lot of fun! :)

Reactions: Dan and abhay
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Aug 2012
Sweden has now good youth programmes and I am sure you will find some places to play! :)

If you will enter at TU Wien (a very good university) just tell me. I live in Vienna and will guide you through.
We can play together in a club where i have the keys so we can play as much and whenever we want :) if you plan to stay longer you can even play league in my club or even in my team :)

you should click on my signature, if you haven't heard of Piing of Power, i am one of these guys, i'm sure we would have a lot of fun! :)

in austria you have the schlager academy, have you ever trained there?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013

Thanks Christian :) Appreciate a lot! We sure will have lot of fun :)

I have liked your facebook page and subscribed to your channel in youtube :) Good luck with that !

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
In Germany every big and small city has a table tennis club where you can play, in fact nearly every village has one.
Do you want to study in a city with a professional club in the 1st league? or with a big club with good and enough (not professional) players?

I would like to start below and practice eventually making my way up. So, yes i would like to play in a professional club in the 1st league if not with a big club.

How are the admission/entry to any of the clubs(be it big or small ) in Germany made? What is the mode of selection , basically?

ZJK

This user has no status.

ZJK

This user has no status.
Jan 2013
Every city/village has one (or more) gyms for schools and they use it in the morning/afternoon.
In the evening (or late afternoon) they are free for different kind of sports e.g. table tennis. Most table tennis clubs have training 2-3 times a week where everyone from the club meets and they play together. At the beginning you can just go to the training and check if you like the club. If you want to train regularly or would like to compete in a league (games are at the weekend) you have to pay a fee (normally around 60€ per year) and than you are member of the club.

Of course professional players (and i think also players from 2nd league but I'm not sure) don't train together with you they have separate training times & places.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dan
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
When will you know what uni go to ? :)

It generally takes a lot of time may be 2 - 3 months ! I am applying to various universities based on the vacancies. :)

How are things in other european countries like Netherlands, Denmark, Belgium ?

This user has no status.
Most (central) European countrys have quite a good TT-Base. At least it is much better than e.g. in the US. But the largest (and probably best) ist by far in Germany, then followed by France. Netherlands, Belgium, etc. of course also have many clubs and quite some good players. And don't forget that you can't compare it to what you know from India. ;) I don't know your playing level, but in general it is so much more higher in Germany/Europe than in India. Forget to play in 1st, 2nd or 3rd League in Germany if you are not among the couple of best Players in India. :p
E.g. in Aachen (where I was rsponsible for the TT University sports) there are quite a lot of students coming from India. And many think that they are good in TT unless they learn the truth.. Sorry if it sounds harsh and I don't want to screw anybody, but among all the students I have met there wasn't anybody able to make it higher than 4th or 5th lowest league in germany (of 12-14 leagues, depending which region you are in and if they have more or less urban leagues).

And apart from all that I wouldn't choose your University according to the TT sorrounding unless you're willing and capable of getting quite some money through playing (and that probably won't be the case..)
But if you decide for Germany perhaps I can get you some hints or contacts cause I know quite a lot of people from my time in University sports :)

Reactions: abhay
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Most (central) European countrys have quite a good TT-Base. At least it is much better than e.g. in the US. But the largest (and probably best) ist by far in Germany, then followed by France. Netherlands, Belgium, etc. of course also have many clubs and quite some good players. And don't forget that you can't compare it to what you know from India. ;) I don't know your playing level, but in general it is so much more higher in Germany/Europe than in India. Forget to play in 1st, 2nd or 3rd League in Germany if you are not among the couple of best Players in India. :p
E.g. in Aachen (where I was rsponsible for the TT University sports) there are quite a lot of students coming from India. And many think that they are good in TT unless they learn the truth.. Sorry if it sounds harsh and I don't want to screw anybody, but among all the students I have met there wasn't anybody able to make it higher than 4th or 5th lowest league in germany (of 12-14 leagues, depending which region you are in and if they have more or less urban leagues).

And apart from all that I wouldn't choose your University according to the TT sorrounding unless you're willing and capable of getting quite some money through playing (and that probably won't be the case..)
But if you decide for Germany perhaps I can get you some hints or contacts cause I know quite a lot of people from my time in University sports :)

Thanks Vega for the reply :) I do understand the standard between Indian and German players and I for one is certainly not even close to any of the two. I am more of an average player :)

What i am looking for during my stay in Europe is continuous training on a daily basis with assistance of a coach, so just wanted to get a picture regarding this.