'Note' from ITTF president

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀
Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Hey everyone, I think its important to show you this, does anyone know whats happening about the event "World Championships of Ping Pong". Tournament Thread

Hes what the ITTF president sent to the company organising the event. The tournament thread HERE

adham_sharara_24_08_08_Large.jpg

Photo By: Kazuyuki Takahashi

Dear friends,

On February 7-8, 2011, an event called "World Championships of Ping Pong" or "Ping Pong World Championships" is planned to be held in Las Vegas, USA. This is NOT an ITTF event and definitely is NOT a World Championships. The ITTF has sent through our lawyers in Lausanne to the organizers a "Cease and Desist" notice for the use of the word "World". The ITTF encourages private organizers to stage table tennis or ping-pong events as long as these events do not infringe on the rights of the ITTF or its member national associations. In this case, we take issue with the use of the phrase "World Championships" to identify the Las Vegas event, as this is in direct conflict with the ITTF's own World Championships.

The purpose of this message is to inform you that according to the ITTF Rule 3.7.1.3, the ITTF does not provide participation permission to any player to take part in this event. For avoidance of doubt, any player taking part in the Ping Pong World Championships to be held in Las Vegas on 7-8 February 2011 will not be allowed to take part in any ITTF events indefinitely or to a date to be determined by the ITTF's competent authority. Please inform all your members accordingly.

It has been rumoured that players from Germany, the USA and Israel, among others, are taking part in this tournament representing their respective country. In fact, most of these players are residing in the USA.

Please take this directive very seriously and make sure that the players from your association are aware of the consequences. I reiterate that the ITTF has nothing against the staging of private events; however, we take issue with the name of the event, which includes the phrase "World Championships", which is an exclusive property of the ITTF.

Adham Sharara

ITTF President

Does anyone have any news on this event and whats going to happen...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
its really not that big of a deal. They probably would have had more legal issues if they had used the words table tennis. I mean afterall, ping pong is just the Chinese name for table tennis. I find it kind of lame that the ITTF is going so far to ban any ITTF player from participating. This event is held in las vegas, it probably has a good pot of money for the winner, to forbid players who play in ITTF events from participating seems kind of draconian, since many players who aren't in the top 50 or so, probably don't make that much money as professional table tennis players, and this would be just another good chance to make some