Paddle

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2013
Read 6 reviews
Hi all,

I have this DHS preassembled paddle and when i got it, it was really tacky and after each game i put a bit of water on the rubber and then wipe it off to clean it from dust and dirt but for some reason the black side, the 1 i use a lot for my forehand, is like completely smooth and isn't as tacky as i remember getting it. Why is it like that?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Sometimes rubber wears out. If you have used it a lot, if there is visible wear on the topsheet, it might be dead. If it is really old, or if you left it for extended periods in heat or cold conditions, that can damage the rubber as well. But since the side you use more is the side that is more worn, it really might be that it is finished and you just need a new black rubber.

How long have you had it? How much do you play?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2013
Read 6 reviews
I tend to play every Saturday and Sunday and when i do use the black rubber (my forehan rubber) i tend to put a lot of power in it. Could it be possible it is worn out maybe because i have been playing with it for maybe a few months now and it seems like when i serve that there isn't much spin where as my back hand rubber( the red side) still looks like its brand new. Should i switch my forehand rubber to the red side since it is more tacky and make my backhand rubber the black side? If i do will this work?

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Shiro, it is likely oxidation and the rubber aging.

If the rubber was tacky classic Chinese rubber, try rubbing some olive oil onto the topsheet, wipe off with a clean cloth, then wipe on some more and put a plastic protective sheet over it and roll it tight to the sponge with your finger. leave it overnight and take off the plastic. if the surface is still a little oily, wipe dry with clean cloth. Your sheet will have near original tackiness.

If the topsheet is starting to separate, you might as well replace the rubber, but since it is a premade, you might have one very difficult time removing the sponge/rubber as they use industrial heavy strong glue when adding the rubber to the bat. You will need a lot of time to remove that mess and when you do, you may wish you just bought a new blade.