Is there any rule regarding serving the ball with your hand?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
I have a tricky backhand serve that the ball impact the back of my hand to create a weird drop shoot. The lefties hated it since they usually stand way on the right side of table and my serve would put the ball on their far left close to the net. Many of them told me it is illegal to serve with my hand but so far I have not been able to find any rule about that.

I developed it while practising Ovtcharov's heavy backhand serve and the ball accidentally hit the back of my hand, that surprised the heck out of my partner and decided it might be a useful serve.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2011
Well the official rule states that it is legal the ball to hit any part of your hand down to the point of the wrist. Any point further the ball touches up your arm would count as fault.
I think in the higher pros level it might not be such a challenging serve so you dont see it very often (beside the effect of the sureprise of course)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2013
I don't use it often but I can usually get 1 to 2 points per game with this serve. The surprise effect usually cause the opponent to pop the ball up for me to kill.

I really want to see this serve now... Sounds pretty crazy, so lets see some video? :D

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2013
There is one high-level player here in the US who uses this serve. At most he will do it once or twice per match. It is an effective surprise even at that level.

As to the comment about "double touch": As of more than three years ago, unintentional double-hits like that are legal. They were very hard to judge and often led to arguments. They are now the same as hits off the edge of the bat, off the hand or fingers, etc.

- LoopinFool

says Aging is a killer
The rule is there to cover accidental hits same as double hits, volleying (obstructing) a netted serve and hitting with the bat edge. But they are legal and some players do take advantage. I would say that it would not be gentlemanly to deliberately use them. But I'm getting old.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
www[DOT]youtube[DOT]com/watch?v=lvv_HKJs7q4

Here is a little video I made, it's difficult to see the hand impact even in slow motion. I can usually get the ball to bounce twice on the opponent's side. Please don't comment on my throws, I know I don't always throw the ball high enough. :p

I'm not able to post link on this site, please replace [DOT] with period in the above link.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
www[DOT]youtube[DOT]com/watch?v=lvv_HKJs7q4

Here is a little video I made, it's difficult to see the hand impact even in slow motion. I can usually get the ball to bounce twice on the opponent's side. Please don't comment on my throws, I know I don't always throw the ball high enough. :p

I'm not able to post link on this site, please replace [DOT] with period in the above link.

Very interesting serve, I feel like even though the surprise factor is great, I don't think you would be able to do it more than 1 or 2 times during a match though. Thanks for the visual!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
That depend on the playing style of my opponent. Like I mention before, some lefties stay on the far right side of their table and they are most vulnerable to this serve. Beside, I also have a very spinny (top or under) backhand serve which prepare them for the next surprise.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
BTW, when I got sweat on my hand, it generates some kind of funny spin too.

I am pretty sure that the last one in the video is a double bounce and goes off your hand first but then hits the racket. Which means that one would not be okay.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2013
http://www.ittf.com/ittf_handbook/ittf_hb.html
2.06 THE SERVICE
2.06.01 Service shall start with the ball resting freely on the open palm of the server's stationary free hand.
2.06.02 The server shall then project the ball near vertically upwards, without imparting spin, so that it rises at least 16cm after leaving the palm of the free hand and then falls without touching anything before being struck.
2.06.03 As the ball is falling the server shall strike it so that it touches first his or her court and then, after passing over or around the net assembly, touches directly the receiver's court; in doubles, the ball shall touch successively the right half court of server and receiver.
2.06.04 From the start of service until it is struck, the ball shall be above the level of the playing surface and behind the server's end line, and it shall not be hidden from the receiver by the server or his or her doubles partner or by anything they wear or carry.
2.06.05 As soon as the ball has been projected, the server’s free arm and hand shall be removed from the space between the ball and the net.
The space between the ball and the net is defined by the ball, the net and its indefinite upward extension.
2.06.06 It is the responsibility of the player to serve so that the umpire or the assistant umpire can be satisfied that he or she complies with the requirements of the Laws, and either may decide that a service is incorrect.
2.06.06.01 If either the umpire or the assistant umpire is not sure about the legality of a service he or she may, on the first occasion in a match, interrupt play and warn the server; but any subsequent service by that player or his or her doubles partner which is not clearly legal shall be considered incorrect.
2.06.07 Exceptionally, the umpire may relax the requirements for a correct service where he or she is satisfied that compliance is prevented by physical disability.