edge tape

This user has no status.
i often(naturally) bang my blade onto the table when i return a heavy short backspin. so far no dent or ding on my blade yet. i wonder is there anyway to prevent any damage on my blade and the table? i tried edge tape before but it is a 1/2 useful and 1/2 annoying product. my blade is 5.6~5.7mm thick, the thinnest/smallest edge tape i can find is 6mm. if i do any gluing or removing rubber, i have to remove the edge tape before doing so. from time to time, the stickness in the edge tape is gone then i have to get a new stripe. i found it so annoying!!! if i get those big roll of edge tape for 50 or 100 blades, i found it too much. waste of money. i saw couple of my friends are using duct tape. i wonder how they can cut it in a long stripe?!?! anyway, is there any other way to protect the edge of my blade? right now when i cut new rubber, i always leave 1 or 2mm of rubber sticking out instead of trimming it along the edge of the blade. some how this extra rubber help a bit but it will torn the rubber sooner or later.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
A friend of mine uses liquid electrical tape. It does the job pretty well. I would rather just ding up a blade, after all the edges are last place I wanna be contacting the ball with. Also, I don't like the extra added weight. This guy has this huge rubber grip on his handle, plus a weird wooden knob that he put on it to serve as an additional flare to keep from launching the paddle with his swing. Added to the heavily lathered liquid tape, it feels like swinging a big ol' axe around at the table. Guess that's why he likes to chop.... lololololololololol

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
I seldom ding my blade but I still put the edge tape on. I too don't feel the set up is complete unless I have the tape on...feels well, "naked" / yuk!
It is best to be careful and not ding it in the first place.
Tape can be changed when rubbers are replaced.