New Skyline 2 NEO lost all tackiness

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2013
Hey guys,

recently I got a new sheet of Skyline 2 Neo, however I'm facing a big issue with it. I've played with it exactly 5 times (1h session) with pauses between the sessions. The rubber lost all its tackiness and feels totally dead. What could be the issue? Can I restore it somehow? The topsheet still looks like It's new, but the magic is not there.

I did use plastic cover sheets and cleaned with it a little bit of water.

Last edited:
says http://cinemagr.am/embed/148758536
says http://cinemagr.am/embed/148758536
Feb 2013
Hey guys,

recently I got a new sheet of Skyline 2 Neo, however I'm facing a big issue with it. I've played with it exactly 5 times (1h session) with pauses between the sessions. The rubber lost all its tackiness and feels totally dead. What could be the issue? Can I restore it somehow? The topsheet still looks like It's new, but the magic is not there.

I did use plastic cover sheets and cleaned with it a little bit of water.

You shouldn't use tacky plastic cover sheets, I don't know about cleaning tacky rubber with water, but you payed maybe 20$ for it, what did you expect?

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Easy way to bring the tackiness back to life.

Clean rubber with water and lemon juice.

Rub Olive Oil onto topsheet in a few coats.

Wipe dry with clean cloth.

Moisten topsheet with breath and immediately place regular plastic protective sheet on topsheet and rub with finger to ensure it sticks.

Leave overnight.

VOILLA! You have a new tacky topsheet each time.

You can forward me the price of my BH rubber for this advice.

William.

BTW, my BH rubber in my sig costs a whopping $7.

Cheers.

Reactions: MDanielCRO
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2013
Easy way to bring the tackiness back to life.

Clean rubber with water and lemon juice.

Rub Olive Oil onto topsheet in a few coats.

Wipe dry with clean cloth.

Moisten topsheet with breath and immediately place regular plastic protective sheet on topsheet and rub with finger to ensure it sticks.

Leave overnight.

VOILLA! You have a new tacky topsheet each time.

You can forward me the price of my BH rubber for this advice.

William.

BTW, my BH rubber in my sig costs a whopping $7.

Cheers.

Wouldn't olive oil make bubbles on the topsheet & soften the sponge?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2011
There few reasons, but I would say check on the playing environment first. If the playing place has alot of dust? Like usually people wear not playing shoes and walk around at the TT playing floor. This will leaves alots of dirt and catched by the ball, then by the rubber.

I was used to play inside a church, so I having the similar of issue too. The only way is keep cleaning it and cover it. In fact, there is no issue with using either the plastic protector or any cleaner.

Right now I moved to other country, and we play TT inside a squash court, which the floor is much much cleaner. So far, I don't have this issue even my last piece of TG2 is from last year. Although I still changed it just for a competition last week.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2013
There few reasons, but I would say check on the playing environment first. If the playing place has alot of dust? Like usually people wear not playing shoes and walk around at the TT playing floor. This will leaves alots of dirt and catched by the ball, then by the rubber.

I was used to play inside a church, so I having the similar of issue too. The only way is keep cleaning it and cover it. In fact, there is no issue with using either the plastic protector or any cleaner.

Right now I moved to other country, and we play TT inside a squash court, which the floor is much much cleaner. So far, I don't have this issue even my last piece of TG2 is from last year. Although I still changed it just for a competition last week.

Yeah but if the issue is related to the environment & dirt, once I clean the topsheet the tack should be back no?
The mixture of lemon juice & water helped a bit, at least It can pick up the ball now for 1-2 seconds :)

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
The lemon juice and water will give back over 1/2 the original tackiness back. You can moisten with breath, cover with regular plastic protective sheets overnight and get it back to 80%.

The Olive Oil is super for tacky rubbers and gets you all the way back to normal.

Anyone doubting this treatment to clean/restore can ask Hookshot over at MyTT or OOAK. He will tell you the deal and it works.

Although William IS a JOKER (and PROUD of it) I was completely serious in the Olive Oil recommendation.

I am convinced that if this is a 7 day old rubber, the playing surface of the table and floor made the rubber less tacky.

H3 NEO is NOT an extremely Tacky rubber. it can hold the ball 5-7 seconds if you condition it right, but it is not nearly as tacky as true Chinese topsheets.

Myself, I like my H3 Neo only half tacky. great balance that way, at least for me...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2013
The lemon juice and water will give back over 1/2 the original tackiness back. You can moisten with breath, cover with regular plastic protective sheets overnight and get it back to 80%.

The Olive Oil is super for tacky rubbers and gets you all the way back to normal.

Anyone doubting this treatment to clean/restore can ask Hookshot over at MyTT or OOAK. He will tell you the deal and it works.

Although William IS a JOKER (and PROUD of it) I was completely serious in the Olive Oil recommendation.

I am convinced that if this is a 7 day old rubber, the playing surface of the table and floor made the rubber less tacky.

H3 NEO is NOT an extremely Tacky rubber. it can hold the ball 5-7 seconds if you condition it right, but it is not nearly as tacky as true Chinese topsheets.

Myself, I like my H3 Neo only half tacky. great balance that way, at least for me...

I'll try the olive oil treatment soon :) And I'm using TG2 Neo, not H3 :D When I received it It held the ball for 15s +

@decoy, I'll try WD40 is the Olive Oil doesn't work.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
shey should both work as well as each other really.. just remember to wire the oil off before playing. quick way to know if your rubber is tacky enough is to run it agaisnt your arm if it squeaks you are in good shape. but reeally you should need to teat the rubber if you jsut bought it. there subbers do accumilate dust fast damp cloth and some wiping should be enough.

also if the rubber has a identification number on the rubber side then its the new gen topsheets.. which arent as tacky as the old gen rubbers

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
The two major Chinese semi-tacky topsheets I use are H3 and 999. Both are only JUST tacky topsheets, not extreme tacky topsheets.

I allow some buildup and wipe frequently to get the topsheet to be less tacky than original. I like it 1/2 as tacky as original. That helps the pace and makes it play more Japanese/Euro. Both topsheets on a decent sponge are excellent rubbers for humid conditions in the summer. Very stable and you know what you are getting. There are too many horror stories over a great rubber like T05 go completely to crap in extreme humidity.