New table being scratched by balls?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2013
Hi everyone, I can't find a section dedicated to tables so I thought I'd ask this in here.

I haven't played table tennis seriously since my school days but I had a real urge to get back into it so we bought a new table.

I would've much preferred to buy an indoor table but we just don't have the space so had to go with an outdoor one.

After playing on it with the family all day, I noticed that there was specks of blue paint coming off onto the balls and there are small scratches all over the table.

Scratches everywhere.jpg

Close up of scratches
Close up example of scratches.jpg

Specks of paint on balls
Specs of blue paint on balls.jpg

We've played quite a lot of outdoor table tennis on holidays over the years (mostly Donic tables) and I never noticed specks of paint on the balls before.

Is this normal or should I be thinking about getting a refund?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2013
Thanks for the reply Carl, much appreciated. It is a Kettler Topstar II (cost £419)

They are going to replace the table tops but I think if the next ones have the same problem I'll ask for a refund.

Other than it scratching when the ball makes contact it's a nice table, plays well enough and the bounce seems pretty good really for an outdoor.

Any tips on a decent outdoor table around £400 - £450?

Been looking at the Sponeta S5-73e from sport-tiedje.co.uk (has a 6mm melamine resin top instead of the aluminium compound)