Lobs/Paddle

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2013
Read 6 reviews
When every i play against an oppenent i tend to drive a lot forcing them into lob but whenever they lob and i hit the ball most of the time the ball goes out for no reason and i am aiming my paddle down by a lot. (FYI my paddle is preassemled) So could the reason be that its because of my paddle because i read online that preassembled paddles tend to hit out more than paddles that are bought seperated. Please help everytime i hit it out it is very frusterating.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
When every i play against an oppenent i tend to drive a lot forcing them into lob but whenever they lob and i hit the ball most of the time the ball goes out for no reason and i am aiming my paddle down by a lot. (FYI my paddle is preassemled) So could the reason be that its because of my paddle because i read online that preassembled paddles tend to hit out more than paddles that are bought seperated. Please help everytime i hit it out it is very frusterating.

Probably, it would be technique. You may be misjudging the topspin on the lobs.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
A prebuilt racket is usually not good for a variety of reasons. Often the wood is not such high quality. Often the rubbers are not of a quality where you can really grab and spin the ball and therefore learn proper technique. When the racket has good wood and high quality rubber, you are not choosing the specific rubber you want for your forehand and backhand and are just stuck with what the racket comes with which is okay for some people.

So, if a prebuilt bat had a Butterfly Timo Boll ALC with Tenergy 05 on both sides, it would be that quality of racket and the only thing would be that, for many people 05FX or T80 or T64 or T25FX or T64FX might be better for the backhand. :) But for some people T05 on both sides is fine.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2013
Read 6 reviews
My technique is very good my forehand is exactly like how timo boll plays it however on lobs i tend to try to smash it and randomly, the ball goes out. I kinda of blame my paddle but im not sure because the rubber kind of feels really smooth so that could be the reason or its the table because, my table is kinda of not as bouncy.

This user has no status.
no offence but I can't imagine you've got good techniques judging from your first post.

Timo Boll rarely hits the ball but lobs mostly instead, which means u don't play like him. Also when driving against lobs the ball will go out for sure if u're using the kind of bat angle which Timo uses for his lobs. Try keeping the bat angle even lower.

Moreover there's no way u can use proper techniques like Timo if u're using some cheapish pre-assembled rackets(unless it's an expensive one which is unlikely i guess). Looping is almost impossible with those slippery rubbers.

Last edited:
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Lobs or fishing can be tricky to play if you are not careful to watch what opponent is doing. There are many players who play this style and get free points from tis situation. Watch the impact, the flight, and the bounce. Be in position, That is very important. If you do not pay attention, you can easily miss. many players are good at making you miss in these lobs and fishing shots. It is not so much your equipment, but good equipment makes it easier to finish the point.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Now I re-read Ur post and notice you talk about the table. That is also important to know, how the ball bounces from the table.

We have Champion Pro 9 tables for our normal tables at our club, but our training tables are from Peace. Both are ITTF approved, but the Peace tables are much older and the bounce is very dead compared to the Pro 9 tables. So... if you paly some matches on the Pro 9 tables then go to the Peace tables for your lessons, you will tend to miss several balls in the first few shots. That is normal in our club. After a few balls, you become accustomed to the bounce and do not miss those easy ones any more.