Table Tennis Injury

Today while I was biking downhill I pulled the brakes on my front wheel too suddenly and I flipped over my bike and it crashed. I was bleeding on my right knee and right elbow. Those were the major injuries but I'm not bleeding as badly on my left elbow and on a small area on my right wrist. We've wrapped it up and bandaged it. How long should it take for me to play again. My club meets on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Saturdays. I went to the club on Saturday and then the injury happened later. So how long should I wait until I get to practicing and until I go to the club to play seriously with other players. I should mention my elbow is feeling way better but my knee is still very stiff and I can barley bend it.

Last edited:
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
WIPEOUT!

DCB, from what you are saying, it sounds like we need someone from the city to go checkout the pavement to make sure it is not mortally wounded.

Bleeding from breaking the skin is nothing, unless you lost a couple liters of blood, no big deal. Preventing infection will be important. I am assuming you broke no bones, because you would know it by now. Only stress fractures are difficult to discern.

It is very normal after a trama injury to a joint for some swelling and stiffness. Usually, it takes a few days for the swelling to go down before an MRI exam can tell anything. A lot of times, it is the person himself who can tell better than a doctor what is going on with their body. Give it a few days rest, keep it clean, and try it out lightly to get an idea where you are and go from there.

As you learned by now, you use too much front brake, you will spill over the front of the bike and destroy anything in your path.

A couple summers ago, I was biking from one club in Seoul to another 8 km away. Me and my friend had to go over some serious hills to get to the club. I wore out ALL my bike's brakes going down the largest hill (250 meters) it was straight downhill and we had to ride our brakes all the way down. By the time we got to flat ground, I had zero brakes. We had one more small hill to take on (40 meters) and on the downside, I was moving pretty fast (40-50 kph) in the right lane, cars were going faster than me, so I had to stay in right lane. A bus pulled in front of me and suddenly stopped. I wanted to go left and get by the bus, but a taxi was right on my tail and just moved and was riding on the edge of the lane. No chance to go left around the bus.

I had 3 options...

1) Run into the bust at full speed... NOT my first choice

2) Go left and get run over by the taxi... NOT a good choice, I like to live

3) Go to the right and take my chaces flying off the bike and eating the sidewalk for lunch.

I chose the go right. There were some knee high bushes. I swerved right into the bushes, flew over the handlebar, hit the bush, skidded across the bush, grazed my head on a tree, spun and rolled on the sidewalk. That bush and the combat roll really save me. I had a knock on my knee and bleeding. It all depends on how you impacted.

EDIT: My helmet saved me from damaging the tree and bleeding all over it. :)

I made it to club, washed it off and played 4 hours there, then put the bike on the subway with me back home.

You will know better than anyone if you need to get checked out at the clinic, give it a couple days and see where you stand.

Last edited: