PDA

View Full Version : Difference between thicker and thinner rubbers

isidrojose
08-15-2013, 11:10 AM
what's your impressions with thinner or thicker rubbers? :):):):)

Der_Echte
08-15-2013, 04:46 PM
You can look at it from perspective of the sponge, or the topsheet.

I crave the maximum sponge that will result in 4.0 mm total thickness. Sponge is where you get power and spin, which drives your control.

I value a topsheet that will wrap the ball and allow the sponge to use its energy. This means the topsheet must be elastic, very elastic. Also, it must be durable. Counter-looping strong topsin is a severe stress to a topsheet and not many modern topsheets are totally immune to a small tear or tears in the rubber. Especially the older speed glue jobs... they simply weakened the topsheet at the expense of short term awesome performance.

Having said that, I like the modern medium and somewhat thin topsheets as they get the job done the best. I still like some thick topsheets like 999 or Dawei Inspirit. They are immortal and almost bullet-proof.

Shiro
08-15-2013, 06:42 PM
The difference between thinner and thicker rubber is that thinner rubber is often used for more control whereas thicker rubber, making the ball sink in more, give it more speed by less control

Cornerer
08-17-2013, 05:36 PM
Sinking into sponge more also means more spin.

Once u've reached a certain level thinner sponge is just simply a no-go(unless u're chopper, anti-spin player, etc ...)
When u've got good ball control thicker sponge just simply performs better