Shiono vs. Joo Sae Hyuk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2013
Hi,

Who do you think is better?Shiono or Joo?
I think,
Joo was better a few years ago compared to Shiono nowadays. But atm I think Shiono is better because of the better attack!
Tell me your opinions!

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀
Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
I think Shiono has huge potential! It's interesting that that only since recent times hes recently shown himself. I am looking forward to him taking on the likes of Ma Long and Zhang jike. Sure will be good to watch!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
Masato Shiono is a great defender and far more spectacular than joo se huyk but against experienced and patient players, I believe he won't achieve great results.

Check this match against primorac,

PRM played with tons of patience and waited for the right ball to take masato off guard

He used slow & soft spinny topspins (bouncing at the middle of masato's side of the table, very difficult for a defender to attack, and to chop also) and not all out attacks unless it was absolutely necessary.

Primorac's experience was the crucial factor in this 1/4 final, 43 years old he cant beat sirucek,machado,koki niwa,xu chenhao, chen chien an (all of them lost to masato shiono) because of his age, but when it comes to tactics he is still great

says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
I don't think you can make the comparison yet. Shiono came out of nowhere to win one world tour title, he beat a string of good players however none were Chinese as mentioned above and he struggled with the European style of combatting defensive players.

Joo was top 10 in the world for many years, he won bronze at the world cup and silver at the world championships, I think Shiono is not on this level yet and he has only recently emerged on the international scene, he is not young, I don't feel he has time to achieve what Joo has achieved as a defensive player. My vote goes to Joo for sure.

Reactions: Mikael Berglund

Fab

This user has no status.

Fab

This user has no status.
Nov 2013
My vote goes to Joo Sae Hyuk, too.

In my opinion the best defensive player in the world. He is safe on both sides when defending, he has a strong and powerful topspin and can bring back more topspins than any other defender. The only thing that he don't play is a backhand topspin.

I think his results and achievements are great when you consider that he is a defender.
He was among the Top 5 in the world and over years top-ranked in the ITTF world ranking.

Of course Shiono is also a good defender with an spectacular style. But I miss the safety and the coolness in his game.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2013
I love watching top level choppers play against top level attackers.

The only problem is guys like Ma Lin and Wang Hao eat Joo Sae Hyuk alive.

This was a while ago but I was watching a game that was being commentated by the British chap, that does a lot of commentary. He said the record between Ma Lina and JSH was 10-3 in favor of Ma Lin.

Ma lin just won't make mistakes, he can loop all day.

I watched JSH play Timo Boll right after I watched Ma Lin play him. Timo ended up losing the game and it seemed to me that he had a rather hard time against him. Granted both Timo and Lin have very good forehand loops, so I tried to identify and differences in execution. From what I was able to tell, Ma Lin hit angles that Timo Boll wasn't. Timo tended to hit most of his forehands straight down the middle, where as Ma Lin tried to hit them into the corners, and change the angles when he could.
Timo was forced into JSH's rhythm whereas Ma Lin forced JSH into his.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2013
I think that Masoto Shiono is better than Joo Se Hyuk, because he plays many more topspins than Joo.
Joo's Defense is stronger, but Shiono will have a so strong defense like Joo in two years. Than he will beat
the top chinese players!

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Shiono is surely fun to watch, a great story, and he is likely not yet reached his potential.

Is he or will he be as good as Joo S H ???

I do not think so.

Someone please notify me when he hangs in or around the WR top 10 for a DECADE and reaches semis in the WM and other important tourneys.

I agree with others who comment that Shiono gets the spotlight now as he was closer to WR 100 than WR 10 before he started doing well in some ITTF tourneys. When Shiono achieves what Joo has and does it at that high level for a FULL DECADE PLUS, I will be open to a different opinion.

Also, NO ONE on ITTF tour excites crowds like Joo, I mean NO ONE. Evry time you see Joo play a top player, the crowd is on its feet roaring with cheers, oohs, ahs, and the like. You do not see this for Ma Long, Wang Hao, Zhang Jike, Ma Lin, Timo Boll, or any other top player. When Joo is doing his thing in rallies, it is unbelieveable to see live and is compelling as all let-out. No one on hte tour compares with him for this.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2012
I like shiono's defensive play than joo, shiono turn the rubber to chop more often than joo. I think someday he will be more dangerous than joo.