September World Rankings 2013

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Review Moderator
Jul 2011
Read 7 reviews
The ITTF has updated the rankings again! The new rankings were published on September 5, 2013. According to ITTF's calendar, the next release will be October 3, 2013.

--- Liu Shiwen breaks Ding Ning's 22 months streak ---

Do you remember when Ding Ning won the Women's World Cup 2011 by beating Li Xiaoxia in the finals, just like at the WTTC a couple months earlier? Ever since then Ding Ning has been at the top of the world. 22 months later finally someone manages to break her streak; Liu Shiwen is the new world number one!
Meanwhile Ma Long stays at WR-1 on the men's list.

LIU%20Shiwen%20(CHN)_big.jpg

Liu Shiwen - Back at the top of the world. Photo by: hktta.org.hk

August has been a busy month! While many European players were preparing for, or already starting their first season's matches for their clubs, there were still some big competitions including the Brazil Open, the Harmony Open and the Czech Open!

calderano_11_08_13_Large.jpg
samara2_14_10_11_Large.jpg

Hugo Calderano and Elizabeta Samara - 2013 Brazil Open winners - Photos by: ITTF

The Brazil Open mainly featured American players but also notable were team India, hungry for World Tour titles, and women's top seed Elizabeta Samara who has been travelling around the globe recently.

Team Brazil managed to secure the gold in the men's event by beating Harmeet Desai from India in the semi-finals. The final saw a very impressive record; Hugo Calderano wins the final as he beats countrymate Gustavo Tsuboi and with that he is the youngest ever World Tour winner.

After her loss in the finals at the US Open Elizabeta Samara went for revenge in Brazil. In the final she met Ankita Das. Samara seemed very confident and grabbed the title with a 4-2 victory.

ma_long_18_08_13_Large.jpg
chen_meng_27_08_13_Large.jpg

Ma Long and Chen Meng - 2013 Harmony Open winners - Photos by: ITTF

While most of the top European players stayed in Europe to prepare for Bundesliga, Pro A, ETTU or Champion's League, the Asian players battled at what might be the strongest World Tour of the year: The Harmony Open in China.

Japan's future stars Koki Niwa and Kenta Matsudaira caused a surprise in the early rounds through great upsets; defeating China's Yan An and Wang Hao. The result; they had to play against eachother for a spot in the semi-finals. While Koki Niwa won in a very exciting 4-3 match, Germany's Dimitrij Ovtcharov defeated Chuang Chih-Yuan from Chinese Taipei. Unfortunately, both were not capable of causing more upsets. In the final it was Ma Long who beat countrymate and friend Xu Xin.

The women's event showed something remarkable. After Liu Shiwen defeated the last non-Chinese player, Cheng I-Ching from Chinese Taipei, in the semi-finals, she met Chen Meng in the final. Chen Meng had been lucky to get a W.O. in the semi-final and repeated this when Liu Shiwen had to withdraw due to a shoulder injury while being 1-0 up. Chen Meng defends the title she already won the year before, but for Liu Shiwen it was just enough the still reach the world number 1 spot this month.

shiono_23_06_13_Large.jpg
pavlovich_15_09_12_Large.jpg

Masato Shiono and Viktoria Pavlovich - 2013 Harmony Open winners - Photos by: ITTF

Finally, Europe also had its World Tour event, the Czech Open, altough Japan also sent a very strong team of young players.

As both top seeds in the men's event, Taku Takakiwa and Patrick Franziska lost in the early rounds, anybody could make it to the finals. Spain's Carlos Machado played consistently and reached the finals without getting into problems however, the other finalist was a well-known challenger: The popular chopper Masato Shiono once again confirmed that he deserves more attention as he takes his 2nd World Tour title of this year by winning 4-0.

In contrast to the men's event, the women's event did end up with a battle between the two top seeds. Belarus' Viktoria Pavlovich wrote history by beating Netherlands' Li Jiao in the final, which meant that for the first time ever a World Tour event was won by two defensive players.

This month's notable changes
13 (18) Koki Niwa
18 (24) Kenta Matsudaira
25 (34) Zhan Jian ^
52 (86) Masato Shiono
55 (68) Liu Yi
64 (96) Carlos Machado
70 (91) Daniel Gorak
79 (102) Ruwen Filus
89 (112) Pavel Sirucek
95 (122) Masataka Morizono
101 (133) Hung-Chieh Chiang
106 (147) Masaki Yoshida
188 (260) Hugo Calderano

01 (02) Liu Shiwen
13 (08) Shen Yanfei
22 (42) Cheng I-Ching
45 (82) Ri Mi Gyong
67 (101) Hu Limei
84 (157) Yui Hamamoto
94 (123) Seira Ushijima
103 (154) Miu Hirano
136 (236) Jiang Yue

Men's World Rankings
01 (<<) Ma Long
02 (<<) Xu Xin
03 (<<) Wang Hao
04 (<<) Zhang Jike
05 (<<) Timo Boll
06 (<<) Dmitrij Ovtcharov
07 (<<) Chuang Chih-Yuan
08 (<<) Yan An
09 (<<) Ma Lin
10 (11) Fan Zhendong
11 (10) Wang Liqin
12 (<<) Vladimir Samsonov
13 (18) Koki Niwa
14 (<<) Hao Shuai
15 (13) Jun Mizutani
16 (15) Joo Se Hyuk
17 (16) Gao Ning
18 (24) Kenta Matsudaira
19 (17) Chen Qi
20 (19) Jiang Tianyi
21 (<<) Patrick Baum
22 (20) Michael Maze
23 (22) Marcos Freitas
24 (25) Ryu Seung Min
25 (23) Adrian Crisan
25 (34) Zhan Jian ^
27 (28) Tang Peng
28 (27) Chen Chien-An
29 (28) Bastian Steger
30 (31) Kim Min Seok
31 (26) Oh Sang Eun
32 (<<) Lee Jung Woo

Women's World Rankings
01 (02) Liu Shiwen
02 (01) Ding Ning
03 (<<) Li Xiaoxia
04 (<<) Feng Tianwei
05 (<<) Zhu Yuling
06 (<<) Guo Yan
07 (<<) Chen Meng
08 (09) Wu Yang
09 (10) Kasumi Ishikawa
10 (11) Feng Yalan
11 (12) Guo Yue
12 (15) Viktoria Pavlovich
13 (08) Shen Yanfei
14 (13) Jiang Huajun
15 (14) Ai Fukuhara
16 (<<) Kim Kyungah

Discuss!

Last edited:

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Excellent review as always Steven! Liu has done very well breaking Ding Ning's streak. Incredible keeping it for 22 months without winning the Olympics or Worlds.

Great jump from Koki, probably the first time Mizutani he has been ranked below a Japanese player before :)

says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
Excellent review as always Steven! Liu has done very well breaking Ding Ning's streak. Incredible keeping it for 22 months without winning the Olympics or Worlds.

Great jump from Koki, probably the first time Mizutani he has been ranked below a Japanese player before :)

Agree, great review. In terms of Ding Ning I think a shocking reflection of the inaccuracy of the system in this case. Call me biased for being a fan of Li Xiaoxia, but to win an Olympics, then a Worlds, then the China Open and beat the world number 1 and two on a handful of occasions across these three events, to be still at number 3 on the list is pretty ridiculous really and I'm surprised that Liu Shiwen somehow got to number 1 on account of these results too!

Dan

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Agree, great review. In terms of Ding Ning I think a shocking reflection of the inaccuracy of the system in this case. Call me biased for being a fan of Li Xiaoxia, but to win an Olympics, then a Worlds, then the China Open and beat the world number 1 and two on a handful of occasions across these three events, to be still at number 3 on the list is pretty ridiculous really and I'm surprised that Liu Shiwen somehow got to number 1 on account of these results too!

I agree with you Matt, but something must of caused it. Perhaps Li Xiaoxia did not play enough tournaments? It is rather odd how she never managed to get to number 1. It's a shame you couldn't ask her now in a new interview, with her thoughts on this :)

Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
I agree with you Matt, but something must of caused it. Perhaps Li Xiaoxia did not play enough tournaments? It is rather odd how she never managed to get to number 1. It's a shame you couldn't ask her now in a new interview, with her thoughts on this :)

Haha yea I duno if that opportunity will arise again just yet. I'm sure given her results she probably isn't that concerned. I think she will win the national games too so it will even further define her right to be in the top spot though of course it won't count. I'm just puzzled as to how Liu Shiwen managed to get past her given that Xiaoxia beat her in the China Open final. Seems odd.

Dan

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Haha yea I duno if that opportunity will arise again just yet. I'm sure given her results she probably isn't that concerned. I think she will win the national games too so it will even further define her right to be in the top spot though of course it won't count. I'm just puzzled as to how Liu Shiwen managed to get past her given that Xiaoxia beat her in the China Open final. Seems odd.

Your prediction is correct :) Yeah it would be interesting to find out what calculations the ITTF rankings take... perhaps someone knows more information on this? I think Ding Ning may have stayed at the top for so long because of the amount of points she accumulated before Li Xiaoxia started winning..

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2013
This month Li xiaoxia drop 56 points for Olympic title 13 months ago, and Ding Ning 49 points for runner-up. Li Xiaoxia's bonus point only 172, with a highest rate point 2950 (Liu Shiwen 2904, Ding Ning 2917). The change of pointing rules in 2011 has its problem

says bebakhshid.
says bebakhshid.
Jun 2012
Your prediction is correct :) Yeah it would be interesting to find out what calculations the ITTF rankings take... perhaps someone knows more information on this? I think Ding Ning may have stayed at the top for so long because of the amount of points she accumulated before Li Xiaoxia started winning..
Ranking points = rating points + bonus points

Rating points calculated after every match and will add to previous rating points.
If a player lose a match he will lose some rating points ( the opponent is stronger, the less points he lose).
If a player win a match he will win some rating points ( the opponent is stronger , the more points he win).
Each kind of tournament ( pro tour, World Championships,world cup) will be one of these 3 categories: R1, R2, R3.
R1: WTTC, WTTTC, OG
R2: World cup, Pro tours (super series), Pro tour grand finals,..
R3: Pro tours (major series),...
In R1 category more points transfers than R2 category and R2 more than R3.

Bonus points calculated after every tournament. If a player reach higher in a tournament he will won more bonus points. A player who have won some bonus points in a tournament will lose them yearly.
Example 1: A player won 40 bonus points in OG, he will lose 10 points every year until next OG.
Example 2: A player won 40 bonus points in a pro tour, he will lose 40 points next year.
Example 3: A player won 40 bonus points in a WTTC, he will lose 20 points every year until next WTTC.
Each kind of tournament ( pro tour, World Championships,world cup) will be one of these 4 categories: B1, B2, B3, B4.
B1: OG, WTTC
B2: World cup, Pro tours (super series), Pro tour grand finals,..
B3: World junior championships,...
B4: ...

Rating and bonus points tables: http://www.ittf.com/ittf_ranking/pdfs/2013/2013_Rating&BP_Tables.pdf

Reactions: NDY and Dan