Doing some service demonstrations

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
If youre an advanced server then these serves arent difficult at all, but if you never practice serves it can be very hard to pull this off

I won't consider myself as a good server. When I used to train, I had to do 1 hour of serves a day, 7 days a week.
Didn't play for many years and now coaching.
This video was a "non prepared", using my multiball racket (2 black sides if you guys noticed) and a rubber that I am not used to, and just lucky that the demotration went okay :p

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
If youre an advanced server then these serves arent difficult at all, but if you never practice serves it can be very hard to pull this off
Not really , its just about practicing as Tony pointed out. I infact find easier to learn new serves than perfecting the middle game. But WARNING there is no point in having great serves if you can't handle the spin that comes back , infact sometimes its safer to do slightly defensive serves with less spin, that way the percentage play becomes higher when you attack the return.
But anybody would like to have those in their arsenal for the special players where you don't have any other choice than serving these :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Not really , its just about practicing as Tony pointed out. I infact find easier to learn new serves than perfecting the middle game. But WARNING there is no point in having great serves if you can't handle the spin that comes back , infact sometimes its safer to do slightly defensive serves with less spin, that way the percentage play becomes higher when you attack the return.
But anybody would like to have those in their arsenal for the special players where you don't have any other choice than serving these :)

Yeah
I would say the idea is not out-spin your opponent but rather out-trick your opponent and out-place (placement) your opponent.
Some spin with no spin is good, only too much spin maybe cause problems for 3rd balls.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Neat serves Tony! You should definitely put your videos on youtube, will help spread around the youtube world :)

Great backspin! Love it!

Thanks Dan,

Yeah, I actually created a youtube account a long time ago already.
Till date, I think there is 4 or 5 videos
Need to find more time to upload all the videos

For now, my next big thing is Tony's Table Tennis (Team) VS Shaanxi Provincial Team, next Monday evening

Reactions: ttmonster
This user has no status.
I won't consider myself as a good server. When I used to train, I had to do 1 hour of serves a day, 7 days a week.
Didn't play for many years and now coaching.
This video was a "non prepared", using my multiball racket (2 black sides if you guys noticed) and a rubber that I am not used to, and just lucky that the demotration went okay :p

well I remember myself trying these serves when I saw ma lin doing it but the ball was not coming back for me, but after some time I was finally able to do it all the time

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
well I remember myself trying these serves when I saw ma lin doing it but the ball was not coming back for me, but after some time I was finally able to do it all the time

Yeah, getting the ball to spin back is pretty easy.
I think the key is to be able to do this in a realy match situation - ie the bounce over the net musn't be high, the power musn't be heavy otherwise it will bounce too high etc.

I used to be able to do L shape and reverse L shape spins too. L meaning it travels on the Side and Edge of the table lines.
I actually did a reverse L during one practice sessions when again unprepared demotrating for my students.
I guess i'm just lucky I still have this feel in me after 10 years or stopping training, other than that, my service quality has reduced alot.

This user has no status.

Yh dude, I know all that stuff. I see alot of players serve with this mindset; Im going to serve with so much spin onto the ball so it will be impossible to return. but what they dont know yet is that a serve is not meant to get point straight away but its a strategy for the 3rd all.

My 2 primary serves are just short backspin and nospin with the same motion and I also stomp at point of contact so he my opponent cant hear the diffrence.
So when I serve short with nospin and my opponent pushes it short I can easily flick the ball. If he pushes the ball long then I dont have to lift the ball that much because there is no spin on the ball what so ever.

When I have alot of options.
when the ball is pushed long I can easily attack. when the ball is short but straight to my backhand side I can make a flick with a little bit of wrist or push the ball long/short. when the ball is pushed short into the forehand side I mostly push the ball long, preparing to counter their attack. somethimes I go with a fake flick and push the ball short to confuse them.

Ofcoure Ive got alot of other serves but this are just my 2 main serves.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Yh dude, I know all that stuff. I see alot of players serve with this mindset; Im going to serve with so much spin onto the ball so it will be impossible to return. but what they dont know yet is that a serve is not meant to get point straight away but its a strategy for the 3rd all.

My 2 primary serves are just short backspin and nospin with the same motion and I also stomp at point of contact so he my opponent cant hear the diffrence.
So when I serve short with nospin and my opponent pushes it short I can easily flick the ball. If he pushes the ball long then I dont have to lift the ball that much because there is no spin on the ball what so ever.

When I have alot of options.
when the ball is pushed long I can easily attack. when the ball is short but straight to my backhand side I can make a flick with a little bit of wrist or push the ball long/short. when the ball is pushed short into the forehand side I mostly push the ball long, preparing to counter their attack. somethimes I go with a fake flick and push the ball short to confuse them.

Ofcoure Ive got alot of other serves but this are just my 2 main serves.

I hope your opponents is not on this forum too ;)