• Total voters

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀
Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Umpire refuses to change a bad call even after Matthew Syed from the commentary box confirms ball hits the table,then refuses to see re run on TV screen. The ITTF should take note and pay their international umpires a decent salary, also needed is Hawk Eye as in tennis so bad calls can be corrected. Again I state more respect for the players is needed!

000802ab4a630a174fe807.jpg

Photo by: Sohu.com

What do you think? Should Ai Fukuhara have won the point...

Why dont Pro Tours use Video Technology? and do you think they should use them for this very reason from now on?

says Where will table tennis be in the future? And what ideas...
says Where will table tennis be in the future? And what ideas...
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
Definately should have been Ai Fukuhara's point. Yes they should have video analysis as tennis have it, but also because table tennis is so fast it can be very hard to see edges at times. I often see edges that nobody else seems to see and vice versa, sometimes it can be so minor that the ball has hardly any deviation sometimes possibly almost none at all.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2011
I understand the umpire making his initial mistake..since it is hard sometimes to be 100% sure it touched the edge...But he should have changed his final decision and just admitted he made a mistake. I mean everyone knew it touched except him! Glad she won it in the end though.:D

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
I respect a lot Ai Fukuhara. The point in contention was huge as whoever took the 5th game would have a big psychological advantage leading 3:2. Fukuhara kept her composure, equalised in the 6th and went on to win convincingly in the last game. Wen Jia, on the other hand, must have seen it clearly that was an edge ball.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
I respect a lot Ai Fukuhara. The point in contention was huge as whoever took the 5th game would have a big psychological advantage leading 3:2. Fukuhara kept her composure, equalised in the 6th and went on to win convincingly in the last game. Wen Jia, on the other hand, must have seen it clearly that was an edge ball.

Good point -- If Wen Jia was a true sportswomen should would of conceded the point. Remember that match where the guy physically went and turned the score board over after he was the only one who knew he faulted on the serve.

Shame on Wen Jia.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
Good point -- If Wen Jia was a true sportswomen should would of conceded the point. Remember that match where the guy physically went and turned the score board over after he was the only one who knew he faulted on the serve.

Shame on Wen Jia.

Indeed, and I was watching the match on ittf live streaming as it happened. Wen Jia was right in front of the ball and must have seen it touched the edge of the table, yet she was so aggressive in her body language etc immediately after, as if she was the one being wronged! Goodness.

And the guy you were referring to was of course Wang Liqin. The true world champion.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
It's unfortunate that this kind of stuff happens at times. But I would have to say that video replays would do more to hurt the sport than help. We want to be fair, but I think there are also important aspects against having replays.

After this past world cup there was alot of clamor to introduce video replays, but one of the main arguments against it was that it would hurt the flow of the game, and I think that is true with table tennis also. One of the main reasons they changed the point system to 11 points from 21 was because they want the game to be more intense and exciting. To introduce video replays would over complicate things, hinder the flow of the game, and create a lot of unnecessary stoppage.

says http://N-Box.co.cc [IMG] My Best Player after Ma Long...
says http://N-Box.co.cc [IMG] My Best Player after Ma Long...
Oct 2010
REALLY iLike Ai Fukuhara so much :)

At the risk of putting people offside, as a qualified umpire I must comment from a different perspective on this controversy: Yes, the ball clearly hits the edge when viewed on television reply.

However, There are a few points that need to be said on this video clip. 1. It was the assistant umpires call, not the chair umpire's, the chair umpire cannot overrule the assistant on that side of the table. 2. the rules clearly state that the umpire must be believed by tournament referrees and/or organisers on a point of 'fact'. In this case it was an unfortunately mistake by the assistant umpire, but we all wear these decisions in sport. 3. The only recourse for the chair umpire to reverse the call was 'if the opponent acknowledges the mistake by the assistant umpire', this obviously was not forthcoming, and regardless of any intervention by the tournament referee, organiser, coaches, players, or anyone else the decision stands. 4. The whole saga of Matthew Syed intervening from the commentary box is moot, he had no right whatsoever to intercede any anyones part, that was purely and simply sensationalism for the viewing audience. In fact it is within a referee's rights to have anyone ejected from the arena in these types of circumstances. having said all that I am so pleased she went on to win. :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
Yeah, but how many times is it really crucial to have video replays? I mean other than this particular point, I can't think of any other points that have been in controversy. To have to implement a entirely new system would cost a lot of money, and effort, which isn't worth it when you consider how much it would actually be used. most of the time, edge balls are really obvious, and both sides will admit it. Even in the case of balls that are ebing questioned as to whether they are edge or side balls, after a little discussion, the two players just let to it go, and go with the umpire ruling. I really don't think it's that big of a deal.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2011
The ball was totally IN. It should be a video analysis but only for particular cases