Comparing traits of Xu Xin and Ryu Seung Min's footwork

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀
Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Amazing footwork and cross stepping from Ryu Seung Min! What is cross step?

aa46208930.jpg

Photo by: butterfly-world.com

Here is Xu Xin's footwork that got caught captured in training on multi ball.

Can we see any similarities perhaps differences? These two players are known for there footwork, and its believed there one of the quickest side to side athletes in the world!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
that is just amazingly motivating to see, and I will try these exercises with my teammates..

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2011
footwork is really important right? a beginner like me should always train footwork all the time for a good timing.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
Since Xu Xin is taller, his feet are very close to the ground the whole time. Ryu Seung-min has slight more jumping motion in it.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
both are amazing , but unless both are put on multiball it will be unfair to Ryu to compare the footwork. Because he is doing it with multi-ball, it looks Xu has abbreviated his movements to bare minimum and hence looks that much faster and amazing

This is a great point. Xu Xin looks way faster but he is fielding multiball.

Ryu Seung Min covers a lot of ground with just one one-step when he is going from deep forehand to deep backhand or the other way. In the video of Xu Xin when he is going from deep backhand all the way to deep forehand he uses two one-steps. Each step is a little smaller but he is covering more ground. It also looks like Xu Xin's positioning is more precise and accurate. He is always in the right place. Every so often Rhy Seung Min is a little out of position and has to reach.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2011
As if you compare the two video, most of Ryu's hitting are move > stop > hit > move, repetition. This may due to that he had to return the ball precisely back to the training partner.

But for Xu Xin, he doesn't need to care about where the ball goes. Therefore, the drill he perform is hit the ball while still in moving motion.

Basically, the leg muscle used by both of them are quite similar. May be Ryu has a little larger motion than Xu Xin. But I had to see the similar multiball practice by Ryu before can conclude if they has slightly different footwork or not. I think this is impossible right now, because Ryu is quite old while Xu Xini is way too young to compare with :(

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
This is a great point. Xu Xin looks way faster but he is fielding multiball.

Ryu Seung Min covers a lot of ground with just one one-step when he is going from deep forehand to deep backhand or the other way. In the video of Xu Xin when he is going from deep backhand all the way to deep forehand he uses two one-steps. Each step is a little smaller but he is covering more ground. It also looks like Xu Xin's positioning is more precise and accurate. He is always in the right place. Every so often Rhy Seung Min is a little out of position and has to reach.

Agree with you Carl and the reason I said in unfair is because normally if you are put on multi-ball since it is not a "live ball" it is easier to anticipate where the ball is coming. When somebody is blocking the movement can only start ( especially with seasoned pro's ) only after the ball has left the opponents paddle . And on top of that the point that dici made .. Ryu has to make sure he hits it back precisely . Hence summary :
Xu Xin : Movement + Shot Making
Ryu : Movement + Shot Making + Control + Anticipation/Adjustment

Last edited: