PDA

View Full Version : What Equipment should a defender use?

jmillsy2
03-04-2011, 08:56 PM
I've been chatting with my coach and we have different points of view. He thinks a defender shoal play with normal rubber both sides, whereas I play with long pimples and I thinknit is better. What do all of you guys think? I think long pips or short pips are better at top level and that's why you don't see too defenders with inverted both sides... I mean, joo Chen and hou all play with pimples, don't they?

Charlie
03-04-2011, 10:09 PM
slow blade
long pips backhand
normal rubber on the forehand slightly faster

jmillsy2
03-05-2011, 07:17 AM
slow blade
long pips backhand

I agree with you Charlie. My coach believes long pimples are limited once your opponent knows what they do, but I know that they are almost as unpredictable as normal rubber, because you can kill the spin or impart spin on the ball.

jmillsy2
03-05-2011, 07:18 AM
slow blade
long pips backhand

I agree with you Charlie. My coach believes long pimples are limited once your opponent knows what they do, but I know that they are almost as unpredictable as normal rubber, because you can kill the spin or impart spin on the ball.

Charlie
03-05-2011, 11:59 PM

thats why you do what joo does every chop he does is different sometimes slightly more side spin then a little more heavier and so on to keep your opponents guessing

azlan
05-03-2011, 02:47 PM
I totally agree with Charlie, coz it will give you a bit more variety, such as a floater. Tacky surface like butterfly chop will give immense control and backspin and occasionally allow you to attack. With two very different type of rubbers, it will also allow you to 'twiddle', and this will keep your opponents guessing.

leeandrew
05-03-2011, 06:13 PM
i am a defender and i play with friendship lightning on both sides of my blade

Matt Hetherington
05-04-2011, 12:37 AM
I used to use an off- with friendship lightning on forehand and friendship short pips on backhand, i prefer short pips more consistent for me than long and on occasion I used to flick and use them for a forehand slap if the ball floated up high :P Never used that combination too seriously though I'm an offensive player at heart :)

poltery
05-04-2011, 03:51 AM
I used to use an off- with friendship lightning on forehand and friendship short pips on backhand, i prefer short pips more consistent for me than long and on occasion I used to flick and use them for a forehand slap if the ball floated up high :P Never used that combination too seriously though I'm an offensive player at heart :)

WOW! i didnt know that u used to be a pipster :)

Matt Hetherington
05-04-2011, 09:46 AM
haha gota try a few things out, I enjoy chopping there's something more satisfying to me about chopping someone off than looping just feels like there's more skill involved :D

YosuaYosan
07-14-2011, 09:08 AM
Any thought about chopping with medium pips, short pips or antispin guys ?

Anders
07-14-2011, 05:04 PM
Antispin if fun to chop with if you can manage it. One player in my club that used to play frictionless pips are now considering antispin since he thought it felt the same when perfoming the same strokes :)