How to play against modified long pips rubber

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2013
Does anyone knows how to play against the modified LP??
Before this I've got no problem playing with normal LP but nowadays, the modified one really cause me a headache.
It's different than the normal pips. If you topspin the incoming LP ball, it'll give you not an underspin ball but it returns the topspin balls back with very low trajectory.

Can someone give me some tips on how to play with them..thanks in advance and sorry for my bad English:)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
Read 19 reviews
Hi there,

I know this feeling! I hate playing against this type of play. What you need to do is keep things simple. Don't top spin with to much spin, because then more spin will come back. Try to just rally the ball.

If you put top spin, and the opponent puts the pips in the way, then the ball comes back with backspin. If you put back spin, and the opponent pips in the way then the ball comes back with topspin.

Try to play your shots into the crossover of the opponent this usually helps against pips players.

Reactions: siddique92
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Sid, exactly what mod is done to the LP? Usually, the mod is to make it more slippery (then predictable). If the LP give you back topspin from your loops, then he must have some seriously good sponge and sprayed a ton of sticky to his pips for you to get back a topspin.

Maybe one thing to do is imagine your opponent is using short pips, since the ball is kinda acting like that. Even so, a good operator of SP on BH wing can give you fits changing spins, depths, timing, and tempo. You learn through experience and individual opponent, no ONE tactic will work everywhere everytime.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2013
Actually they apply a huge amount of what I can see a paraffin oil and they let it dry under the sun for a week.the LP are really weird cause the characteristics quite confusing(it's like returning back the ball that you give to them).For this moment on I can only rely on my semi-long to deal with that kind of situation.If I got that kind of ball into my FH, I'll surely loop and it ends up being smash by the opponent.

Should I just play cross-court shots or should I just loop-chop-smash the ball like that??(One more weird thing about the LP is they say there is an amount of shoe's polish being apply to the surface to make it more 'nice')

and thanks for tips!:)

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
The kind of thing, especially leaving the LP in the Sun will make it more slippery. Not sure what effect shoe wax would have, that is a new one to me.

Of course, a good operator of any rubber can change hand grip pressure and manipulate the spin, especially killing the spin to give you knuckle balls. maybe that is why you think you get back a topspin instead of underspin cut.

Reactions: siddique92
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2013
Yup..it certainly feels like that.When the LP balls return, I'm really confuse about what to do either than playing a crossover shots game like example said and not to focus on the pips.About the shoe's wax,I asked some of the guys around here and they said it's meant to hide the appearance of the rubber other than making the spin unpredictable.They apply it after a layer of paraffin oil to hide the oil-looking surface(Idk how they manage it but it really looks like the normal one)

Maybe I should utilize my medium pips or maybe I should copy someone's style for example like Fabian Akerstrom of Sweden??

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Sid, if you normally play with inverted "Normal" sponged rubber, then suddenly slapping on some pips might be fun and help you learn firsthand how to play different, that isn't exactly going to solve your problem which is READING SPIN.

You are going to have to learn to listen to the sound and watch the ball how it flies in the air, how it dips or floats, and how it bounces off the table. If you can get good at reading those clues, you will be on the road to learning how to read spin better, then it will later translate into less lost points.

Parrafin oil is usually used to help the performance of the sponge in an inverted rubber. Regardless of how the pips are treated, as long as the pips are consistently treated across and on sides of pips it should not matter, the ball will act a certain way given the same stroke and input. The operator of the LP can "Kill" spin if he has a soft hand and good touch. That can be tricky, you might think there is more spin on the ball. The same player can also continue the spin and make it heavier than it looks. He can also fake chop to give you a ball with less underspin making you open your blade and hit out. This is a good thing for YOU to do to a ball on your BH that you cannot strongly attack, it keeps you in the point, you get back into some kind of position, and you watch an opponent try to attack the ball and hit it out!

I used that technique vs a very eager and capable looper last tourney. I am a 2x Inverted player, but I saw this player play a match earlier. he could make a very strong and spinny topspin that won a lot of points. I saw that when he had to hit against a weak underspin he thought was heavy, he would hit out and wonder why. So, I gave him a lot of heavy underspin that he hit into the net over and over. I kept adding points to the score without much risk. Why not? He eventually adjusted and barely got it over, then I stepped in and fast blocked for a winner or pressure or error. Moar points for me without much risk. I then started giving him "Dead" balls that he eagerly attacked for spin or power, but knocked almost everyone long and out. He was scratching his head while I was laughing like a Hyena. When he started to adjust to that, I blocked his loops if ZI could, then started to go heavy underspin again. He suddenly was putting shots into the net and lifted more, so I gave him dead balls again and he was hitting it out of the court.

The reason why I say that story is that it doesn't really take a treated LP rubber to get an opponent wondering what you put on the ball. You take advantage of that in a match to reduce your risk, increase his errors and stress, and have some good ole LULZ. :)

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Sid, if you normally play with inverted "Normal" sponged rubber, then suddenly slapping on some pips might be fun and help you learn firsthand how to play different, that isn't exactly going to solve your problem which is READING SPIN.

You are going to have to learn to listen to the sound and watch the ball how it flies in the air, how it dips or floats, and how it bounces off the table. If you can get good at reading those clues, you will be on the road to learning how to read spin better, then it will later translate into less lost points.

Parrafin oil is usually used to help the performance of the sponge in an inverted rubber. Regardless of how the pips are treated, as long as the pips are consistently treated across and on sides of pips it should not matter, the ball will act a certain way given the same stroke and input. The operator of the LP can "Kill" spin if he has a soft hand and good touch. That can be tricky, you might think there is more spin on the ball. The same player can also continue the spin and make it heavier than it looks. He can also fake chop to give you a ball with less underspin making you open your blade and hit out. This is a good thing for YOU to do to a ball on your BH that you cannot strongly attack, it keeps you in the point, you get back into some kind of position, and you watch an opponent try to attack the ball and hit it out!

I used that technique vs a very eager and capable looper last tourney. I am a 2x Inverted player, but I saw this player play a match earlier. he could make a very strong and spinny topspin that won a lot of points. I saw that when he had to hit against a weak underspin he thought was heavy, he would hit out and wonder why. So, I gave him a lot of heavy underspin that he hit into the net over and over. I kept adding points to the score without much risk. Why not? He eventually adjusted and barely got it over, then I stepped in and fast blocked for a winner or pressure or error. Moar points for me without much risk. I then started giving him "Dead" balls that he eagerly attacked for spin or power, but knocked almost everyone long and out. He was scratching his head while I was laughing like a Hyena. When he started to adjust to that, I blocked his loops if ZI could, then started to go heavy underspin again. He suddenly was putting shots into the net and lifted more, so I gave him dead balls again and he was hitting it out of the court.

The reason why I say that story is that it doesn't really take a treated LP rubber to get an opponent wondering what you put on the ball. You take advantage of that in a match to reduce your risk, increase his errors and stress, and have some good ole LULZ. :)

Great post. This is the info. You have to learn to read the spin. It is hard against a long pips player. I am not so great at it. But, that is the issue is reading spin. Watching the racket, the stroke, the contact, listening to the sound, seeing the flight of the ball. It takes a lot of practice and you really have to watch closely but over time you start learning to read spin against a long pips player. A good one will change the spin at will on you. So you have to start learning to read the spin.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2014
Keep calm and remember every stroke that you play because the ball will back as inverse spinning that you stroked.

(If you top spin and the opponent receive it back with his long pips the ball will come back with backspin.
If you back spin, the ball comes back with topspin.)

Rally the ball, do not use too much spin.