Best butterfly blade for my style out of these 4 choices?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
I'm a looper/mid distance driver that likes to spin the ball quite a lot when I loop it.I plan on putting a Tenergy 80/05 oh the FH and Tenergy 64/80 on BH. Which of these four blade would fit my style the best?

1. Timo Boll ALC
2. Timo Boll ZLC
3. Timo Boll ZLF
4. Innerforce ZLC

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2012
I am only an 1800 US rated player so take my advice with a grain of salt, but I have always loved my Timo Boll ZLF. I havnt used 05 or 64, but I loved t80 on both my backhand and my forehand. I would reccomend it as more of a backhand rubber, so maybe 05 forehand 80 backhand? Honestly you cant go wrong with any combination there. I have also used a freinds ALC and it has a slightly different feel which I did not like quite so much as my ZLF. I play similarly to you in that im comfortable two or three feet back from the table and I can loop very effectively off of both wings as well as hit punishing close to the table counters with the ZLF. I dont have experience with either of the other two blades but you absolutely cannot go wrong with the ZLF or the ALC. Everyone is going to have a different tenergy preference, I personally use xiom rubber now, but any combination you use will be very effective. If you are open to different rubber suggestions, Xiom Sigma 2 Euro is wonderful with the ZLF on forehand.

edit- I forgot to even discuss the playing style. I really enjoy throwing in some spinnier, angled loops to throw opponents off and ZLF has a LOT of gears as far as mixing up your shots between flat and spinny goes.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
I only have the ALC and ZLF so I can comment on these.
It depends on what feel and throw you want. The ALC is much more direct and has a low throw. The ZLF has a softer feel and a higher throw. The ALC can be a bit stiff for some people, but the power and stability is awesome. If you plan to use 1.9mm Tenergy, go for the ZLF since the ALC is too hard in my opinion.
Anyway, all are good blades with their own personality and style.
HTH

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I think go for TB ALC, one of BTY most famous and top sellers.

But never the less, you are going for an overkill setup. Are you good enough to tame it?
Maybe rather go for something one notch lower and where you can use your equipment to its capacity

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
What blade do you guys think would go with it then? o_O
My Current bat setup is

Blade: DHS H-WL
FH: Sriver 2.1mm
BH DHS Hurricane 2 1.9mm

Does anyone know what Tokuatsu, hot, and medium for the rubber means on the butterfly japan website.
Because I am planning on getting my bat there.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
What blade do you guys think would go with it then? o_O
My Current bat setup is

Blade: DHS H-WL
FH: Sriver 2.1mm
BH DHS Hurricane 2 1.9mm

Does anyone know what Tokuatsu, hot, and medium for the rubber means on the butterfly japan website.
Because I am planning on getting my bat there.

All those setups are WAY faster than what you are currently using. The two ZLC blades are crazy fast. I would cross them off. They are really very fast and I will put it to you this way: I do not know any high rated players using either of those ZLC blades even the the Innerforce ZLC may be more controllable.

I personally would say the ZLF, but the ALC and the ZLF are both darn good blades. The two ZLC blades are really good too but they are real beasts.

The ZLF has a little more ball feel, it is a little slower but still pretty fast--I have had plenty of people say they cannot handle the speed of my setup--has more dwell time and therefore you can spin the ball better with the ZLF. The ALC is harder, it is faster, it has great control and spin for a blade that fast, but not as much as the ZLF and it is a little harder to feel the ball with the ALC because of the Carbon. But, both are great blades and worth getting.

As far as rubber, I would think of 64 or 80 for backhand and 05 for forehand, but, I would actually recommend 05 for Forehand and 05FX for backhand.

No matter what you choose going from H2 to Tenergy on backhand is going to be strange and going from Sriver to Tenergy is going to be strange. It will probably take you a little while to get used to how much more grab and catapult Tenergy has than either of those rubbers, expecially if you are adding a faster blade even though those blades have a little more dwell time than the Hurricane Wang Liqin.

Reactions: Kenta Cipriano
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
I started thinking, what if you just got the Rubbers first and got used to them on your current blade before you went to the new blade. It may be easier to get used to Tenergy on your current blade so you are not changing everything all at once.

Yea, I might try that. Can you suggest any butterfly slower blades?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Yea, I might try that. Can you suggest any butterfly slower blades?

The TB ZLF and the Innnerforce ZLF are great blades. I am not suggesting you get something less fast. I am only suggesting that, if you are going from Sriver and H2 to Tenergy it will be a little like going from a VW bug to an indy car so you might as well keep the blade you have, which you are already used to, and just start with changing the rubbers. But, if you want to change everything all at once, get the TB ZLF or the Innerforce ZLF. Those are both great blades. TB ZLF feels a little crisper, Innerforce ZLF feels softer with more dwell time and control. Innerforce ZLF has more wood before the ZL fiber so you have more wood feel. Short game it is slower than TB ZLF because it is less crisp. Mid distance its power starts kicking in. Both are great blades.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Has anyone ordered from butterfly jp before?
If you have, can you please tell me what tokuatsu, medium, and hot means?
It comes out when you order a rubber. e.g red- tokuatsu, red-medium, red- hot and black-tokuatsu black-hot, and black medium.
Can anyone explain to me how this works?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
The TB ZLF and the Innnerforce ZLF are great blades. I am not suggesting you get something less fast. I am only suggesting that, if you are going from Sriver and H2 to Tenergy it will be a little like going from a VW bug to an indy car so you might as well keep the blade you have, which you are already used to, and just start with changing the rubbers. But, if you want to change everything all at once, get the TB ZLF or the Innerforce ZLF. Those are both great blades. TB ZLF feels a little crisper, Innerforce ZLF feels softer with more dwell time and control. Innerforce ZLF has more wood before the ZL fiber so you have more wood feel. Short game it is slower than TB ZLF because it is less crisp. Mid distance its power starts kicking in. Both are great blades.

Would either of the viscaria or any blade from the zhang jike series work with tenergy?

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Would either of the viscaria or any blade from the zhang jike series work with tenergy?

Those all work with Tenergy, but those are all like the TB ALC, faster and harder because they all have Carbon. Those two ZLF blades have something special and worth trying.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2013
I am also looking to buy a new blade, and I've been doing a lot of research on the TB ZLF, Innerforce ZLF and Liu Shiwen blades. If you search the forum Upsidedowncarl has agreat description of the TB ZLF and Innerforce ZLF composition and he talks also about how they play, so I am not going to write it here. What I can help with is some feedback from other players that have played with some or all of the blades mentioned above. Conclusion is: Liu Shiwen and Innerforce ZLF have exacly the same composition and they should play pretty much the same. However TB and Liu Shiwen are not that forgiving and especially in close/over the table play you will rocket over the table a few more balls that you would like to. On the other side if you hit it just right it will be a bullet that will get you the point. Innerforce is more forgiving but a little bit slower. In mid distance/distance play Innerforce might have the edge, you will not lose in speed, get a little bit more control, and some extra spin.
As a conclusion: all are great blades, and also very expensive, so you should make your choice based on your level, type of play, and in which areas you feel the new blade will help you get better. Hope this helps, and note once again that this is not my personal feedback, it's only info that I collected.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2013
Maybe upsidedowncarl can share some more info, as he once wrote that Innerforce ZLF whould be his blade of choice if money were not a problem and right now he is playing with the TB ZLF what cost the same. So what happened ? Change of heart or just opportunity to buy the TB ZLF for a great price ?