What's your set piece?

says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
TeamJOOLA
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
When you get in a tight spot (i.e serving 9-9 in the 5th or 9-10 down), what's the set play that always gets you through? :)

timo_boll_3_by_epicax-d3128l8.jpg

Photo: Epicax @ Deviant Art

Last edited:
TeamJOOLA
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
Being left handed one of my favourites is a fast sidespin serve bouncing outside the tableside which is 90% assured to be returned to your backhand, a quick pivot and an early topspin down the line, or if it's a sitting duck a big filthy slap down the line :D

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
What I have been told to do, shouldnt be giving this away hehe, is to try and serve into your opponents cross over point short :) So they are not to sure whether to play a backhand or forehand receive... Then keep tight and look to open the play as soon as possible and keep a level head :D

says Hello I was only going to post hello but apparently I...
says Hello I was only going to post hello but apparently I...
Mar 2011
Take extra long to return to the table and, standing on the left side of the table, serve down the line with right/top spin

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
What I have been told to do, shouldnt be giving this away hehe, is to try and serve into your opponents cross over point short :) So they are not to sure whether to play a backhand or forehand receive... Then keep tight and look to open the play as soon as possible and keep a level head :D

Hey Dan,

A couple of Q's:

1) How'd you judge the crossover point?
2) When you say serve to the cross over point, is that so the ball lands there? or travels across it after the bounce?

Cheers,

Shaun

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
Most of the game I will serve either to opponent backhand or jam down the middle. When I need a point, I have two go to serves. One is a fast back + right spin serve to the opponent forehand corner. It is low, fast, and curves outward. Because the opponent is expecting a backhand/center serve, this very oftenly catches them off guard. If they return it, the sidespin usually allows me to finish with a forehand topspin drive.

Go to serve number two is a very short serve to opponent forehand. Because the opponent usually doesn't expect this, the typical return is a backspin to short center or short backhand. I have a good backhand over the table flip, so I move in quick and flip the ball fast to the opponent far backhand corner. This usually results in a jam because the opponent reached in and didn't have time to reset.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Very interesting thread ... for me depends on the opponent . If left handed .. try to jam him in to far right handed corner so that you can open up the back hand.
If right handed ........ pen hold .. go hard for his back hand with no spin ....... and so on and so forth . I would rather decide my set piece based on the opponent and whether I have already used it up against him.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2011
Normally look to serve short over the table, wide to the backhand. This for me normally gets a return back to my backhand, which means I can step round and loop line. I start off, bounce the ball on the table through times, have a look at my opponent. Maybe try and psyche them out a little. Throw the ball up and.............shank it clean into the net or not hit it at all!

TeamJOOLA
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
Very interesting thread ... for me depends on the opponent . If left handed .. try to jam him in to far right handed corner so that you can open up the back hand.
If right handed ........ pen hold .. go hard for his back hand with no spin ....... and so on and so forth . I would rather decide my set piece based on the opponent and whether I have already used it up against him.

Good answer I think in part there are definitely more effective sets for each different style of player and it always pays to have a few extra tricks up your sleeve when it comes to crunch time! :)

Dan

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Hey Dan,

A couple of Q's:

1) How'd you judge the crossover point?
2) When you say serve to the cross over point, is that so the ball lands there? or travels across it after the bounce?

Cheers,

Shaun

Well, this rule, allows you to put your opponent under pressure from the first ball..

The crossover point, is the point near the elbow of the playing arm..

ermm so the ball lands around that area of the table, the middle area, but if its a right hander you would go bit more to the right of the table... If you keep your serve tight, you are likely to be able to dominate the next ball, Thus your on the attack,, keep up the pressure and dont miss...

---Tip on serve--- If you serve the ball float (no spin) short to there cross over point, your opponent is are likely to flick it, so then you can topspin that next ball and you on the attack :)

Therefore your opponent would have to do a more higher 'risk' shot then you to win the point... I.e counter, or topspin back your topspins... but then your ready anyway's because you topspinned the first ball so recover fast, he is likely to block it in those situations anyways.

p.s... sometimes they push that float ball, so the ball pops up high... Game over :)

TeamJOOLA
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
Ideal crossover point serves bounce at the opponents elbow and kick in to the body after the bounce, forces an awkward movement and loss of balance if you can do it with pace which results in a substandard return on most accounts and gives you the opportunity to dominate the table.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2011
Not sure I have one - I would like to think I look at the opponent and think how the game has gone so far.

I often do what I call a "soppy serve" which will be long and floaty to the cross over if I am unsure. I am hoping the opponent rushes what they think should be an easy winner and makes a mistake. It is surprising how often the opponent expects something tight and spinny and so messes up.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
I don't have specific serves for this. It depends on the opponent. If he looks confident, I think I wouldn't go for a tricky/risky serve, but rather for short backspin and try to beat him in the rally. If he looks unsure and I got a small gap I'm more likely to try for a quick point, risking a quick loss of the point.

TeamJOOLA
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
Usually I will use my set piece earlier in the match so that I can figure out whether or not it will work when I really need. I have my usual short side top to the forehand expecting a flick to my backhand, pivot and slay it down the line. If that's not effective I will do the same service action but serve long, flat and fast down the white line, it more often than not comes back in a manner which gives me a good opportunity to attack.

Previously I had just served a long fast serve wide to the forehand with the aim of receiving back a return that I could slap down the line but it wasn't always reliable against some players for me so I moved to new more reliable set pieces :p

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
Read 4 reviews
I don't believe in relyiing on any one tactic. Each opponent is different and depending on whether they have momentum there's several tactics to help a player close the game. My personal favorite however to gain a lead when tied in a game not necessarily at 9-9, is to serve heavy backspin with the second bounce going into their backhand corner. A lot of players will try and let it fall so they can step around and loop it, but the end of up having to push at the last moment and that's an easy loop dtl or smash to where ever they are not.