Overuse of spin reversing rubbers (pimples and antispins)

Do you think it is good to use spin reversing rubber to play all balls

• yes

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • no

Votes: 3 50.0%

• Total voters
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2013
Recently I've been losing to anti or pimple players in qualifier group finals in Youth(under 21).
All these players overuse their spin reversing rubber by using it to play balls hit to all sides of the table and have a poor forehand attack.
They sometimes also switch their rubbers.
Usually I am not bad with pimple and anti players, but this king of players frustrate me and make me lose, they prevented me from getting rated in under 21.
Do you think this style of play is crazy, or should I work on it.

This user has no status.
If it complies to ITTF rules, it's legitimate. Don't get frustrated and blame your losses on them: it will create a fatal weak point in your mental state. Play against them as often as possible and your brain will adjust to them. If you avoid them in practice, you'll be skinned alive in actual tournament. Theory on how to handle them won't help you as much because during play, you must let your body/brain take control. It's like when you started playing TT. At that time, you didn't know how to read spin but you persisted and your brain learned and adapted.

Reactions: geotjakra
This user has no status.
Playing against these rubbers should not be a problem, I mean you decide the match and you know what kind of spin you will get back. Just be patient in longer rallies and if the ball is too short then just push the ball back.

I have trouble too against long pimples but thats simply because I am not patient enough in longer rallies. I make alot of simple errors. My friend plays with it too and I always lose games in 11-6 or less. he wanted to try out playing with a normal rubber on his backhand and Im not even kidding... the first set was 11-0 for me haha...

Last edited:
This user has no status.
In practice, you can maintain long rallies against those weird rubbers just to get the hang of it. But in actual matches, I don't advise such strategies, especially against long pips, because after a few strokes, you would lose track of the spins returned from those LPs and once you misread the spin, you will get punished. Try to finish the point in 3-4 strokes.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
When you loose, don't find excuses. It is never other people's fault but your own fault!!
Seems like you are playing with the mind that if the opponent don't give you a win, there is no ways you can win?

It is your lack of preparation, and base on your opening post, your mental strength is weak.
You need to learn patient, and at the end of the day a loose is a loose, or win is a win.

Since you said, you are not bad with these type of style, then let the action do the talking.
Go back and train harder!