how old when started,BUT WHAT INSPIRED YOU TO START

This user has no status.
I started at 13 but what inspired me to start were the worlds in Birmingham in 1977,
they were broadcast live every day
Every day,brilliant,not since then have tt broadcast live every day on a terestrial channel,
thats 35 years without major coverage of our sport.....35years...a disgrace.

Judging by how popular the vets are a massive influx of players must also have been inspired by this event.
It had everything,the amazing and mysterious chinese the incredible hungarians,stellan bengtson,good english players,full houses almost every day,but and how on earth we have nt had live tt from start to a finish of a major tournament for 35 years is nothing short of a national disgrace....

The BBC followed this up with invitational tourneys which are ok but lack the drama of a real tourny,mind you we hav nt been inundated with major championships in the last few years,top 12 1983,euro asia 1988,euros 1994,worlds 1997,come on lets get a proper tourny here,hopefully the olympics will provide a platform to showcase our sport,,,,not on the red button please ,get it on live on bbc 1 or 2..

:eek:

Zya

This user has no status.
i started at 11,
my parents allways say to my i have do any kind of sports so i tried serveral spots like football(soccer), basketball, swimming, martail atrs, .....
two weeks after i finished baketball my home club arrange a tournament for beginners under 12 years
since that day(29.02.1999) i play this fantastic sport :)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
i just started this January in school and I'm currently 13 turning 14. We have tables for the sport. And boy, i was very addicted to it. My male classmates helped me know the right techniquest in table tennis so right now, i can say that i'm way better than before.
and it's much space efficient to play than volleyball. i'm planning to do pingpong on summer classes(if we find some)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2011
My stepdad and I always had a hit whenever we went somewhere that had a table, and we got our own table for my 12th birthday. I wish I’d been smart enough to come and find a club back then. Just think what an awesome player I would be by now! What sparked my interest for proper table tennis was when I watched the 2008 Olympics. I thought “If I could play like that, I could kick my stepdad’s arse!” That was what made me get on the internet and I found a club. Now, he hasn’t taken a set off me for almost two years. I also got up at 1am to watch China beat Germany in the final of the men’s team event that year. My parents thought I was crazy. When I got to the club, I had absolutely no idea about spin, I didn’t know how the bat face could be angled downwards and the ball still gets over the net. And my first coaching session, the coach took a look at my Amart All-Sports bat and shook his head. It was an eye-opening first couple of weeks.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
I started playing when I was 8 years old. I started playing with my dad on the dining room table because they had trials at my primary school to get into the table tennis team. I got in to the team and have been playing ever since. When I was playing with my dad it was really fun and 12 years later I find it really fun still, even if I get frustrated it always ends up being enjoyable.

Don

This user has no status.

Don

This user has no status.
Mar 2011
About a year ago, I was just starting out in table tennis. The last time I can recall playing table tennis was with my parents when I was 5/6 years old when I use to have a table tennis table (A real cheap one I might add, Composite wood most likely) Anyways I was way too short to actually play seriously when I was younger barely able to reach the short balls. I just started playing the end of my freshmen year of college/university. At that time all i was doing was a backhand block penhold grip. I didn't think there was anything else to a penhold grip then it was to block.

Slowly I became a little better and better and actually incorporated a forehand smash/loop into my game, but only had a backhand block and a japanese/korean backhand smash. At that time it was the first semester of my sophomore year. I was progress a lot faster than I expected. Well, usually at the game room at my university there was a old asian professor that would come from time to time looking for a game of table tennis. At first I thought he was going to be really bad, but it turned out he was good really good compared to me and others that played in that game room. There was two other players that were lightyears ahead of in terms of skill level. There was a Dominican player that you could tell has been playing for a long time and no stranger to the game. He possessed a very powerful backhand smash. Also, there was an american player that was really good with his forehand smashes. Anyways I watched these three duke it out many a times. Just gawking at their godly table tennis skills.

One day I gathered all my courage to actually play one of these gods I mean guys lol. I knew they were taking it easy on me and of course I expected them to unless they wanted to utterly embarrass me. As I was playing I said outloud "how can i even compete with you guys, you are on a whole other level then me, I am outclasses." A few points after i said this I made a very great diving play for the ball and for the point, and the old asian professor said to me "you see, anyone can be good" After that I made it my duty to be the best table tennis player there.

As of today I could say with confidence that I am one of the best table tennis players at my university. Beating those three guys on a consistent basis. I even have a RPB loop into my game and deadly forehand smashes and loops, and even jump smashes as well.

So that is my story of what inspired me to play table tennis I hope you enjoyed it and that I didn't drone on too long.