looking for a softer rubber than xiom vega pro

This user has no status.
Hey guys, im looking for a new backhand. Right now Im playing a Xiom Vega Pro 2.0 on my backhand. I love the rubber, fast with a lot of control, a lot of spin and no real catapult (so good for blocking too). The only thing i dont like is the hardness of this rubber. Its really a medium+ rubber and until it gets softer the rubber is already dead of playing. I was wondering if theres a medium rubber with close characteristics like Xiom Vega Pro. I truely hate a huge catapult effect, because it makes the rubber sooo unpredictable. My technique is alright and im playing on my forehand still with my Neo Hurricane 3, the speed comes out of my technique and not of my racket. Thats why i hate catapult effect. For some years ago I played Butterfly Bryce FX on the backhand and that rubbers was great, but they are not producing them anymore. Furthermore i dont like the really low throw rubber anymore because it gets more difficult when your opponent is using a lot of spin.

Is there some alternative for my Xiom Vega Pro? No trampolin effect please, just a little bit softer and an medium throw rubber?

Thanks

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2013
the hardness lvl = vega pro> vega asia > vega europe.. Have u try vega asia rubber before? It is softer than Vega Pro

Another rubbers that I can suggest = Donic Acuda S2, Tenergy 64, Donic Bluefire M2 ( has catapult effect if im not mistaken)

This user has no status.
yes, Ive already tried a lot of Xiom rubbers… Vega Asia has a tremendous catapult effect, vega europe too and its too soft. Ive never been a fan of T64, cause it doesnt feel right and its actually too fast on my backhand. Ive never tried Donic rubbers but arent they ESN rubbers with a lot of catapult effect?

What about Tenergy 05fx? How is the throw angle of T05fx?
What about a normal Sriver L or FX? Is this too slow or still playable even if you have an advanced offensive game?

This user has no status.
yes, Ive already tried a lot of Xiom rubbers… Vega Asia has a tremendous catapult effect, vega europe too and its too soft. Ive never been a fan of T64, cause it doesnt feel right and its actually too fast on my backhand. Ive never tried Donic rubbers but arent they ESN rubbers with a lot of catapult effect?

What about Tenergy 05fx? How is the throw angle of T05fx?
What about a normal Sriver L or FX? Is this too slow or still playable even if you have an advanced offensive game?

Hey I would like to know how fast is vega pro compared to vega asia and europe? :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Softer generally leads to more catapult effect.
So you want soft, with out catapult effect :confused:

Then I think you must go with a non-speedglue effect rubber

IMO, Vega series is very slow and very easy to control. And I tested with Max.....
I know 1.8mm also exist, but needs to be ordered in bulk from Xiom, so not every store will offer 1.8mm option. Maybe you can see if a 1.8mm Vega Asia could suite your needs too....

Reactions: Butt Stallion
This user has no status.
Hey I would like to know how fast is vega pro compared to vega asia and europe? :)

Vega Asia is the fastest of the Vega Series… Its a little bit softer than Vega Pro but with much more catapult effect.

at Tonys Table Tennis:

yes, I was thinking this too, i need something more classic or a japanese rubber! thats why I wanted to give the T05fx a try and maybe a normal Sriver. But I asked this before. Isnt a Sriver in the modern game to slow for an offensive game, even on the backhand? What about T05fx compared to Vega Pro?

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
You should try Tibhar evolution FX-P

haha, that is one seriously good (and expensive) rubber.

Why not, if you like your current rubber, use some baby oil to soften it up to your liking?

Aurus Soft is another one for your consideration if you can try it out.

This user has no status.
yes, i was thinking about tuning too until its soft. But doesnt get the rubber even faster then? Because i dont really need a faster rubber, just a softer one.

I know this is kind of a luxury problem… Actualle I like the Vega Pro very much, its just the hardness is difficult to deal with on your backhand… buy maybe i should give tuning on my vega pro a try… just one layer should be enough to get it a little bit softer.

says http://cinemagr.am/embed/148758536
says http://cinemagr.am/embed/148758536
Feb 2013
yes, i was thinking about tuning too until its soft. But doesnt get the rubber even faster then? Because i dont really need a faster rubber, just a softer one.

I know this is kind of a luxury problem… Actualle I like the Vega Pro very much, its just the hardness is difficult to deal with on your backhand… buy maybe i should give tuning on my vega pro a try… just one layer should be enough to get it a little bit softer.

Any softer rubber is faster but it's difficult to explain, many people use on backhand softer rubbers than forehand, and those who use same rubbers sometimes put much more tuning on backhand rubber for extra speed

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I think Asia is harder than Pro. Europe is softer. Elite is softest. You could try Vega Elite. It is definitely slower than Pro.

Calibra LT Sound is pretty soft and pretty decent for backhand.

If you don't want something faster T05FX is definitely faster than Vega Pro. But T05FX is an amazing rubber for the backhand.

Also, softer is not always faster. Softer with a short stroke is potentially faster than a harder rubber with the same stroke. But, as your stroke gets bigger, the harder rubbers get faster. The bigger stroke allows you to utilize the harder sponge more than the smaller stroke would. But there is a certain point where harder stops doing that. And a sponge like Tenergy's is always going to be faster on a smash than a sponge like H3.

All of what I said above is part of why so many players use a harder rubber on the forehand and a softer rubber on the backhand. Bigger stroke utilizes the benefits of the harder rubber better. Smaller stroke utilizes the benefits of the softer rubber better.

Reactions: craniumburn
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
Hey guys, im looking for a new backhand. Right now Im playing a Xiom Vega Pro 2.0 on my backhand. I love the rubber, fast with a lot of control, a lot of spin and no real catapult (so good for blocking too). The only thing i dont like is the hardness of this rubber. Its really a medium+ rubber and until it gets softer the rubber is already dead of playing. I was wondering if theres a medium rubber with close characteristics like Xiom Vega Pro. I truely hate a huge catapult effect, because it makes the rubber sooo unpredictable. My technique is alright and im playing on my forehand still with my Neo Hurricane 3, the speed comes out of my technique and not of my racket. Thats why i hate catapult effect. For some years ago I played Butterfly Bryce FX on the backhand and that rubbers was great, but they are not producing them anymore. Furthermore i dont like the really low throw rubber anymore because it gets more difficult when your opponent is using a lot of spin.

Is there some alternative for my Xiom Vega Pro? No trampolin effect please, just a little bit softer and an medium throw rubber?

Thanks

Hi,

it's always a question of playing style and setup.

If you're using stiff blade, I wouldn't recommend any of ESN rubbers. It' very hard to get them under control.(own experience)

May be you should have a look on the BTY Tenergy series (T64, T64FX or T05FX) on a moderate thickness (1,9 mm).

In Germany, there are Butterfly stores which you can test the rubbers with your own setup.

I'm sure it is worth to take a try and it's better to take your teammate there to have a practice partner.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
G3 is a great rubber for those with "classic" strokes who like to go forward and hit through without a ton of spin. Very controllable for this. Those with a steady, but, not very spinny BH tend to love this series.

Another rubber you could consider is regular Aurus. Although it is hard sponge, the topsheet is VERY supple, overall the combination does not feel rock hard. There is not a lot of catapult and the control is super. You can get good spin on your faster strokes, but you will not get Tenergy spin on slower strokes. Short control is great and it is not as spin reactive as some modern rubbers. Aurus also lasts a lot longer than Tenergy does.

I would still recommend the Evolution series, maybe EL-P or FX-P, but it seems Aurus can do what you want for a lot less money per sheet.