Video: "The Story of By-gone Days", A Tribute to Wang Liqin, Ma Lin, and Wang Hao

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2013
Video: "The Story of By-gone Days", A Tribute to Wang Liqin, Ma Lin, and Wang Hao

Wang Liqin, Ma Lin, and Wang Hao, the so-called "Two Wangs and One Ma", have dominated the table tennis world in the last decade (2000-2010). Now, all in their 30s, it is inevitable that they will be retiring soon and we are going to see less and less of them in the arena. To pay tribute to their glorious days, someone has made an MV titled "The Story of By-gone Days", the name of the title song.

Video Link: http://p.you.video.sina.com.cn/swf/...gActive=1&as=1&vid=118820932&uid=0&tHostName=

Wang Liqin: "I hope that many years later, long after I have stopped playing table tennis, I will be remembered not for how many champions I have won but for the sporting spirit I have borne."

wang liqin.JPG

Wang Hao:"Each game I'm playing now is one game less for me in the future, and each training I'm have now is one training less for me in the future. I'll cherish every game and every point I am playing from now on. When you are not in your best forms, that's when your state of mind is more important than your techniques."

wang hao.JPG

Ma Lin:"I'll be gradually withdrawing from the center of the action in the National Team. Anyway, I have reached an age when it's time for me to plan for a new life. It's normal. No matter how good a player you are, you are bound to retire someday."

ma lin.JPG

We are going to miss them!

Last edited:
Reactions: Dan

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Wow what epic quotes from all three players! It's cool how generations in China come in 3's:

- Wang Hao, Ma Lin, Wang Liqin
- Ma Long, Zhang Jike, Xu Xin
- Yan An, Fan Zhendong, Zhou Yu

I will miss the Wang, Wang, Ma generation! Lets hope they stay in the CNT as a coach/training partner.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy

Reactions: zjkfanforever
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2013
Wow what epic quotes from all three players! It's cool how generations in China come in 3's:

- Wang Hao, Ma Lin, Wang Liqin
- Ma Long, Zhang Jike, Xu Xin
- Yan An, Fan Zhendong, Zhou Yu

I will miss the Wang, Wang, Ma generation! Lets hope they stay in the CNT as a coach/training partner.

Yes, because you need three players in the team competition. Only one or two good players won't make you the team world champion. Think of Swedish Team in the 90s with Waldner,Persson,Appelgren. Think of German Team with only Boll and Dimi or Belarus with only Samsonov。

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2013
Age wise, the middle generation should be consisted of Yan An, Zhou Yu, and Fang Bo. Fan Zhendong should be in the same generation with Liang Jingkun and Xu Chenhao. It's just that he has successfully broken into the tier of Yan An, Zhou Yu, and Fang Bo. It's very much like Ma Long when he broke into the generation of the so-called "Six Little Tigers", which consisted of Wang Hao, Hao Shui, Chen Qi, Qiu Yike, Zhang Chao, and Shan Mingjie.

I think beating Zhang Jike in the quarterfinal of the Chinese National Games greatly boosted Fan Zhendong's confidence, and he basically exploded afterwards. Before that match, his performances in the World Championships or World Tour were just so-so. He lost to Zhang Jike by 0:4 in the World Championships in the round of 16 in May, lost to Freitas by 0:4 in the round of 32 in Qatar Open in February, lost to Yan An by 0:4 in China Open in the quarterfinal in June, and lost to Matsudaira by 2:4 in Asian Championships in July. In the National Games in September, he lost to Zhang Jike again by 0:3 in the team's preliminary round, but beat Zhang Jike by 4:2 in the men's single's quarterfinal. In East Asian Games in October, he beat Yan An by 4:3 in men's single's final.

Last edited:

Dan

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Age wise, the middle generation should be consisted of Yan An, Zhou Yu, and Fang Bo. Fan Zhendong should be in the same generation with Liang Jingkun and Xu Chenhao. It's just that he has successfully broken into the tier of Yan An, Zhou Yu, and Fang Bo. It's very much like Ma Long when he broke into the generation of the so-called "Six Little Tigers", which consisted of Wang Hao, Hao Shui, Chen Qi, Qiu Yike, Zhang Chao, and Shan Mingjie.

I think beating Zhang Jike in the quarterfinal of the Chinese National Games greatly boosted Fan Zhendong's confidence, and he basically exploded afterwards. Before that match, his performances in the World Championships or World Tour China Open (Changchun) were just so-so. He lost to Zhang Jike by 0:4 in the World Championships in the round of 16, and lost to Yan An by 0:4 in China Open in the quarterfinal. In the National Games, he lost to Zhang Jike again by 0:3 in the team's preliminary round, but beat Zhang Jike by 4:2 in the men's single's quarterfinal.

Great post! I agree, the CNT come in incredible trios :)

Amazing team!