Offensive rubber and blade advice Begginer

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2013
hi, I'm a beginner/intermediate player and have developed a good attack and need help on what rubbers and blade to get next, my favorite/best shots are forehand and backhand drive/loop. I want an aggressive blade/rubbers with good amount of topspin and speed but not so fast that i cant develop my strokes further. I was looking at yasaka mark v and sriver but many people have said there too slow, although i haven't played with either myself. Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated , thanks in advance

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2013
I bought a palio bat off a member of my club for £16 the rubbers on both side are palio hk1997 , ive been looking at sriver g3 and am wondering if they are any good?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2013
Read 2 reviews
Sriver g3 is a good rubber for a developing player. One way to minimize unexpected results when getting a new rubber is asking your fellow club members to let you have a knock with their bats, and then deciding which you like best. I'd also recommend changing only rubbers first and keeping your existing blade. You can always get a faster blade later - once you fully develop your strokes.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2013
Read 2 reviews
Recommending blades is even harder than rubbers because they feel so differently. Plus some people select their blades based on handle appearance, or depending on what equipment is used by the current world champ :)

Butterfly Primorac OFF- seems to be a very popular choice among developing players who get regular coaching. Does not cost an arm and a leg, and can do everything.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Primorac Off- is a great blade for people who are learning, and you can use it all the way up to a level a little under the level of the second tier pros.

Two more blades that are pretty good and about the same speed range and also not that expensive are:

Stiga Allround Evolution

and

Stiga Tube Allround

They are inexpensive and great blades.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2013
I have decided to go with the primorac off- blade but cannot decide between the sriver/Mark v/ or yaska mark v hps for my first rubber now . i am an offensive played mainly looping and driving

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2013
i would like to know the pros and cons for each of them and how good they are for developing a good stroke , thanks for any help in advance its much appreciated:D

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2013
Are there any double happiness or friendship rubbers which go well for a driving/looping game that are abit cheaper? but still go well with primorac or another blade

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Review Moderator
Mar 2011
Read 3 reviews
sriver isn't that good for an attacking style player. and mark V i have tried myself too and wasn't the biggest fan i would recommend a sonic rubber or joola as they are good rubbers that aren't over priced. the sonic bluefire M3 is a lovely rubber if you like soft rubbers or even joola energy Xtra. if you like slightly harder rubbers try sonic bluefire M2 or joola express one. as for the blade the primorac is a great choice.

you mentioned DHS and friendship rubbers. these rubbers are very tacky and grippy but generally are slow. if you were to use these they would need to be boosted!

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
The Primorac Off- blade is a great for someone starting out. The real truth with rubbers is this, it really depends on your level. Sriver might seem fast if what you had been using before was recreational bats. It might seem slow if you were using faster tensor rubbers like the ones Leeandrew mentioned. Your best bet would be to hit with a pro who could see your level and recommend the best equipment for where you are now that would help you develop your game.

A lot of players make the mistake of starting out with equipment that is too fast and to spinny to start out. But it is hard to say what is right for someone without seeing them hit and seeing what their strokes and timing look like.

Sriver and Mark V are good rubbers for starting out. But at a certain point they might not be good rubbers for a player any more. Bluefire is a good rubber for someone who has been playing for a while but might not be so good for someone who has only used recreational bats before. However, a good player could use a Primorac Off- blade and Sriver or Mark V rubber and get themselves all the way to being fairly advanced (semiprofessional levels of play) without needing a different setup. Whereas, someone wanting a "beginner" setup, for offensive play may be in trouble with Bluefire.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Sriver and Mark V are very slow and unresponsive rubbers unless speed glued, then, they are the best rubbers on the planet.

You might want to consider some modern Speed Glue Effect (SGE) rubbers. There are a gazillion ones. You already got the concept of needing a rubber with a balance of speed/spin/control.

If Tibhar rubbers are available to you, then Genius, Aurus, or Evolution FX might work well for you.

Since you mentioned DHS, tryout H3 Neo. You might want to soften it up with a light coat of two of baby oil on the sponge a couple days before you glue it on your blade. That rubber is a very good control rubber for either wing. Good spin and control without being ridiculous fast. Price in USA is around $25 USD. Not bad for a sheet of rubber.

Myself, I use a $7 USD Chinese rubber on my BH on many of my setups, and on everyone I test. That rubber, XP 2008 Super Power from Dawei, is a lot like Sriver in what is does, but is ridiculous cheep in price. I don't need a rocket rubber on BH, my BH is strong enough already, I desire control and feel. Ironically, a $7 rubber gives me this on BH wing.

H3 will seem too stiff at first and not mesh well with your OFF- blade at first, but if you play a lot of training or matches with it, that rubber will settle down. Another good thing about H3 is that the topsheet is thick, it lasts a LONG time, and it does not have the slick grip issues in high humidity that many other rubbers experience.

The Primorac is a good choice and so are a gazillion others. Try to get the blade you like in the absolute HEAVIEST weight that is available. You will thank yourself for it later. With these all-wood blades, heavier weights within the same model almost always play better, I mean WAY better. Many pros tryout numerous blades form their sponsors and before they weigh them, they know from the first rally which one is "heavy".

Hello Daniel... The Yasaka Mark V and Butterfly Sriver are very good rubbers, but they are a old tech rubbers... Today exist so many options and so many brands of rubbers that can generate unlimited combinations. Take these points to select your best gear...

1.- First you need to define the type of your average strokes on a game, speed-Contact-Control (based on great force when you hit the ball) or Spin-tactics-Technique (based on your good technique, spin and felling when you hit the ball), if you are the first type you need a hard or medium-hard sponge (Stiga Magna TX or Stiga Calibra Tour H for example), if you are the second type you need a soft or very soft sponge, this last have de advantage of catapult effect on the ball and help you to achieve more speed with great pin (Stiga Calibra LT Sound for example).
2.- Second you need to define the sponge tickness... 2.0~2.1mm if you want more power on hit with less control, recomended to attack game type (you need to have a very good control); or 1.8mm for more control (allround game type).
3.- I recomend al very fast (but rigid) blade to combine with rubbers, carbon type OFF-; not OFF or OFF+, its hard to get good strokes if you are not familiar with these... a Stiga Offensive Classic Carbon or Donic Schildkröt Protec Carbon Attack for example.