robopong 2050 robot

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2013
firstly are robots good for training? I'm a beginner only been playing for about 10 weeks and am still developing good stroke technique
Has anyone tried the robopong 2050 and is it a good robot for the price?
Does anyone recommend another robot?
Thanks for any help :D

Reactions: Enfoftede
This user has no status.
No Im sorry but robats are awfull (just my opinion). my club has a robot but you cant choose the ammount of spin you get and thats really annoying. for example if you put the speed higher you will get more spin but you cant get a fast no-spin ball. I only know one rubot that can do that, dont know the name but just click on the ad of this website in the left top corner with the title 'Michael Maze faces his toughest training partner'
or click this link; http://www.butterfly.tt/info/products/technology/robots/amicus/information

But this is a very expensive robot so I dont know you want to spend more than €1500

Last edited:
This user has no status.
I own one but rarely used it. I'm (I think) at intermediate level and the robot is ok for practicing strokes, service, service return, and footwork. If you have not reliable practice partner that is equally determined to work out with you, a robot is nearly the only choice left aprt from shadow practicing.

The robot is easy to setup, has 60 or so patterns that mimic the drills used by most TT coaches. It can do service-like shots, ie. first bounce on the opposite side of the net. But it cannot vary spin between shots automatically: you have to manually adjust the head for that.

Spins can be unnatural:in order to get more spin, you have to increase the speed. You cannot have slow, heavy backspin, for example. It's one of the limitation of robots with only two wheels.

If I have to buy a new robot, I'll consider AMDT V989H. From the info on it, it can vary spin between shots, the control is graphical, has 4 wheels. The only limitation I read is the inability to do service.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2013
I think the robots are not good for beginners. The idea is simple. When you need to learn how to play table tennis it is not only the strokes you need to learn, but also the anticipation of the opponents stroke. This is possible by training with an opponent while you are watching his hand and body moving when makes the strokes.

It is obvious you can't do that with a robot.

This is why I think the robots should be used by players who already have developed their anticipation skills and use the machine to train their footwork and multiball strokes.

Of course, if you don't have a partner it is better to play with a robot instead of not playing at all, but with a partner is better :)