Using slow videos as training tool

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Super Moderator
Mar 2012
Read 20 reviews
Hi guys,
here is a slow video of me adjusting on my technique. My coach are using the videos a part of the training so we can see ourselves and notice what we do right or wrong. What are your thoughts about using camaras for traning purposes?

Feel free to comment on my video if you like.

Regards

Last edited:

M51

says Poly balls still suck.

M51

says Poly balls still suck.
Sep 2012
What are your thoughts about using camaras for traning purposes?
Can't hurt, although I prefer a more direct approach when a sparing partner feeds you balls and the coach stands right next to you, spotting and correcting your faults in real time. Biggest plus with video, of course, is you being able to see for yourself what you did wrong from an observer's perspective.

Also, when it comes to monitoring and documenting progress (not to mention match analysis), there's really no substitute to video.

This being said, keep us posted. :)

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Awesome vid, this is top quality slow mo! You can really see the breakdown of your technique. I really like your technique, do you watch Ma Long a lot @Giangt? Similar forehands :D Looks like you guys are training very hard there. Good club!

I believe video analysis is a fantastic tool for coaches but more importantly for the player. The player can really see themselves from a different perspective looking at timing, technique and movement. I use this sometimes when I coach, it is amazing how quickly someone can learn and correct themselves once they see it.

There is a software called Quintic, I used it at University and it's incredible! You can compare your technique with pros and make all sorts of analysis.

He's a still image taking from a video from an analysis I did in one of my essays:

all six with dig and me.jpg

I coach @spinquark and he has a ipad at hand. So every now and then when he is struggling, he will play back his shot/movement on his ipad and then he can see himself what he is doing wrong and needs to correct.

Also, we all love a bit of video! :)

Happy pinging.

Reactions: Suga D and Giangt
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Super Moderator
Mar 2012
Read 20 reviews
Awesome vid, this is top quality slow mo! You can really see the breakdown of your technique. I really like your technique, do you watch Ma Long a lot @Giangt? Similar forehands :D Looks like you guys are training very hard there. Good club!

I believe video analysis is a fantastic tool for coaches but more importantly for the player. The player can really see themselves from a different perspective looking at timing, technique and movement. I use this sometimes when I coach, it is amazing how quickly someone can learn and correct themselves once they see it.

There is a software called Quintic, I used it at University and it's incredible! You can compare your technique with pros and make all sorts of analysis.

He's a still image taking from a video from an analysis I did in one of my essays:

View attachment 5056

I coach @spinquark and he has a ipad at hand. So every now and then when he is struggling, he will play back his shot/movement on his ipad and then he can see himself what he is doing wrong and needs to correct.

Also, we all love a bit of video! :)

Happy pinging.

Thank you @Dan for your compliments! :) Yeah the group I am in we train very intensive which gives a good synergy. I would lie if I said no to your question watching Ma Long and yeah I have the chinese style of playing TT.

This Quintic Software is awesome. How much is it and does it need a lot of cpu capacity? Is it possible to play 2 analysis at the same time?

This user has no status.
I think video can be effective, every athlete and coach is different, slow motion video can pick up what some coaches won't see.

As a freelance cameraman, I do a lot of sports analysis and always get fantastic reviews, I use a gopro to get close to the subject and slow the footage down and it creates a greatly detailed breakdown. It's a fantastic video, also make use of angles, high, low and Point of View, it will reveal more of the body and detail in the shots!

Reactions: Suga D

Dan

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Thank you @Dan for your compliments! :) Yeah the group I am in we train very intensive which gives a good synergy. I would lie if I said no to your question watching Ma Long and yeah I have the chinese style of playing TT.

This Quintic Software is awesome. How much is it and does it need a lot of cpu capacity? Is it possible to play 2 analysis at the same time?

No worries mate. Yeah you sure do, it's good I like it! :)

And yeah Quintic is really great. You can download a trial I believe. You should check it out. And in terms of cpu i'm not to sure, try the trial see if that runs smoothly. And yes you can have two up against one another but i'm not to sure how to do that. Will take some learning but it's fairly easy once you get the hang of it all.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Great tool to see if someone's really doing what he thinks he's doing.
May i ask how many fps you used and what kind of cam you used in the vid, Giangt?

That quintic tool sounds great as well. I guess i'll have to try out the trial version. :) Thanks Dan.

Have you also recorded vids of your matches?
That's a good way to find out, where your opponents score and where you make your most mistakes.

Nice one, Giangt

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2014
They have a 21-day free trial on their website. http://www.quintic.com/

They also have a page with reasons for (obviously not against ;) ) using video to analyse biometrics and technique. Sounds like solid advice and advantages to me and it kind of addresses your question whether or not vdeo is beneficial for training purposes. It's here: http://www.quintic.com/benefits_of_video.htm

Might be worth checking out :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Super Moderator
Mar 2012
Read 20 reviews
Great tool to see if someone's really doing what he thinks he's doing.
May i ask how many fps you used and what kind of cam you used in the vid, Giangt?

That quintic tool sounds great as well. I guess i'll have to try out the trial version. :) Thanks Dan.

Have you also recorded vids of your matches?
That's a good way to find out, where your opponents score and where you make your most mistakes.

Nice one, Giangt
Hey Suga D, I didn't notice you'd replied this thread.
i think the cam was 120fps and the brand was Sony. I haven't used vids in matches yet. I am getting a cam of my own to do this. The cam used in our training session was our coaches cam.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Hey Giangt,
thanks a lot for your reply. Nevermind the time, good things take a while... ;)

That really sounds interesting. I'll ask my clubmate who has recorded us a few times, if his cam can record at that framerate. Your vid looks much clearer than his, but maybe he just didn't know how to change the framerate or didn't have enough memory space, i can ask, if he still has the vid and try to post it here. But i'm not sure if he still has it. It's already been a while.

I totally understand, that you want your own cam.
I think sooner or later i should get my own cam, too.
:)