buying blade, good choice?

This user has no status.
Thinking of ordering a beginners blade with cheap cheap rubbers
(friendship 729 super FX 2.0mm forehand and Friendship 729 Super Soft 2.0mm) they had decent reviews on TTDB and were 1/3 of the price of Mk5 or Striver
blade i was thikning of was
Timo boll ALL+ or ALL
or
Grubba ALL+

is there an obvious choice or are all going to be an ok choice?

This user has no status.
Forgot to add, i play a very middle of the row game, i will smash and play heavy spin potentially several times in the same point, however i rely more on shot placement the sheer power so control is very much required if possible, also i would like the blade to be allround but slight attacking emphasis as i can produce a lot of spin very easily but i prefer to win a point with a strong loop/counterhit/smash and its more my playstyke to go and win rather then try to get them to make a mistake first.
also i play a better strong counterhit with my forehand and better spin with my backhand

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2013
If you do a lot of counterhits/smashes/finishers you should buy medium-hard rubbers so i don't recommend supersoft friendship buy 2 729 super fx rather than that.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2013
This might be a bit different from what most other people will tell you.
But the Yasaka new Era rubbers are great.
They are 10 usd, last a good amount of time, and feel very similar to my Donic bluefire.

They are medium firmness, not as firm as a dhs skyline but firmer than a butterfly sriver.

you can find them at ttnpp

This user has no status.
Forgot to add, i play a very middle of the row game, i will smash and play heavy spin potentially several times in the same point, however i rely more on shot placement the sheer power so control is very much required if possible, also i would like the blade to be allround but slight attacking emphasis as i can produce a lot of spin very easily but i prefer to win a point with a strong loop/counterhit/smash and its more my playstyke to go and win rather then try to get them to make a mistake first.
also i play a better strong counterhit with my forehand and better spin with my backhand

I haven't played the Boll blade, but I have played a Grubba ALL+ for nearly 2 years now and it sounds to me like it would be exactly the right blade for you.
I have played it with Sriver/Sriver FX and Hexer/Rakza7 Soft and both setups works great. It sounds like you play an allround game with an offensive edge, so I wouldn't go with rubbers slower than Sriver. The blade isn't super fast and there's plenty of control for a medium fast rubber at least.

Reactions: passifid
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
This might be a bit different from what most other people will tell you.
But the Yasaka new Era rubbers are great.
They are 10 usd, last a good amount of time, and feel very similar to my Donic bluefire.

They are medium firmness, not as firm as a dhs skyline but firmer than a butterfly sriver.

you can find them at ttnpp

I tried out New Era when I ordered a lot of those 896 blades from eacheng.net and I can say that rubber is tacky, slow, controllable. Shares a lot of traits with 729 FX and New Era isn't a very hard sponged rubber. OK for the price.

When making a cheap bat, some things to consider are how much it costs total incl shipping, so it usually makes sense to get everything from the same place and make a large enough order to get free shipping if possible.

Sometimes, I have recycled used rec center bats. Yes, the rubber is glued on with industrial strength bullcrap that you almost need a machine sander to get off (sometimes using a cutoff rubber helps, but not always) yet those rec center blades are usually smack of the middle ALL class speed. You cannot beat the price of free and if you happen to have a few used control rubbers laying around, then you made a bat for the cost of your glue and your time/fingers. I was also an opportunity to practice your cursing while removing the old rubber that was welded on at the factory.

Reactions: passifid