Ask Liam Pitchford a question!

says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
Administrator
Oct 2010
Hi everyone,

Liam Pitchford has signed up to the TableTennisDaily website and is willing to answer your questions! Liam Pitchford has been nominated to win sports person of the month in the region around Ochsenhausen where his table tennis club is based! Liam is amongst 5 other athletes. TableTennisDaily has been following Liam's success for some time now with his incredible achievements which have sparked some interesting topics such as the nature vs nurture debate.

The 20-year-old Englishman has been nominated due to his success in the Bundesliga and international tournaments. Liam jumped a staggering 73 places to world number 54 in the recent November ITTF rankings!

To vote for Liam Pitchford simply click the link and vote for Liam here: http://www.schwaebische.de/region/b...ht-den-Sportler-des-Monats-_arid,5548405.html

Liam Pitchford (@Liam Pitchford) is registered to the site, any questions you would like to ask him, just fire away by posting below and he will do his best to get back to you :)

Reactions: jedimasterplk
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2013
Just voted! Good luck!

Liam what do you think is the biggest change to your game? The last few months have seen you rocket up the ranks!

Well over the past few years I have worked really hard on developing my forehand into a main, consistent weapon and that has really worked well lately but I think the main thing is actually the confidence I have in my game now and the belief to win no matter who I am playing.

Reactions: jedimasterplk
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2013
What kind of technique/playing style did you learn and how do you wanna play in 10 years? (maybe more like Boll or do you prefer harder Chinese's style like Ma Long)

I had a Chinese coach for around 5 years with the national team so we were taught a lot about how important forehand and third ball was but I always liked to play backhand so I sort of developed my own style of doing both..I think it's important to be able to play both ways so we will see in the future as I get older! :)

Reactions: Choosikick

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀
Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Hi Guys, thanks for all the support on here! Dan is doing an amazing job with the site and I hope it keeps getting bigger and bigger :)

Thanks Liam I appreciate that! Thank you for all the support you have given us on here, just amazing!

One question I would like to ask is: when you play the likes of Timo Boll for example in the German Open. There was a big crowd etc. How do you remain calm and mentally prepare yourself to play to the best of your ability?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2013
Thanks Liam I appreciate that! Thank you for all the support you have given us on here, just amazing!

One question I would like to ask is: when you play the likes of Timo Boll for example in the German Open. There was a big crowd etc. How do you remain calm and mentally prepare yourself to play to the best of your ability?

Playing in the German Bundesliga has helped a lot to be able to deal with big crowds and nerves etc. I just try to block out all the surroundings and focus point by point.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2012
Congratulations with all your achievemnts I hope you can reach very high! I have noticed a resemblance in your FH looping to Xu Xin looping even though it's a different grip, the movement is sort of similar, have you been taking inspirations from so known "straight arm" looping from the chinese players like Ma Long, Xu Xin, Wang Liqin?

Do you do any other drills that does not involve table tennis table like leg workouts and such to increase the strength?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2013
Congratulations with all your achievemnts I hope you can reach very high! I have noticed a resemblance in your FH looping to Xu Xin looping even though it's a different grip, the movement is sort of similar, have you been taking inspirations from so known "straight arm" looping from the chinese players like Ma Long, Xu Xin, Wang Liqin?

Do you do any other drills that does not involve table tennis table like leg workouts and such to increase the strength?

Thanks! I have watched a lot of videos of the Chinese and obviously having a Chinese coach maybe there is something that resembles there shots, if I could play like them then I wouldn't mind :) yes of course, I have a personal trainer in Ochsenhausen and we also make physical as a team together. It might not look like it is helping yet but I have felt a big improvement strength wise since I started working with him.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2013
Hi Liam, Is there a differenceyou notced between the british play style and the german? And what do you like abou Germany? Gonne ask for an autograph whn your playng against Grenzau next time ;) . Wish you all the best!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2013
Hi Liam! I really like your technique! I wonder, how do you do to make your body stabelized before and in every shots? Seems like you are using your left hand/arm in a very similar way as many of the chinese do, is there something you are aware of? If so, how is you getting the left hand/arm involved, by tensing the fingers or forearm, or upperarm, or a combination, or something else? What is the best tips you have got from a trainer that has improved your game the most?

Many Thanks!

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2013
Hi Liam, Is there a differenceyou notced between the british play style and the german? And what do you like abou Germany? Gonne ask for an autograph whn your playng against Grenzau next time ;) . Wish you all the best!

Woah, bist du auch Rhinelaender?

Hello Liam, thank you for joining the site, its great to have people with your skill and knowledge join.

What do you think the weaknesses in your game are, and what elements of your game are you trying to improve?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2013
hi liam, like your biggest fan, im gonna grow up to play like you, not as skinny though. what is your daily routine, how much gym do you do.

Haha thanks! :) we generally practice table tennis two times per day, morning and afternoon/evening for about 2 and a half hours. I try to do weights 2-3 times a week depending on match schedule..