China Trials for WTTTC 2014

says bebakhshid.
says bebakhshid.
Jun 2012
China will start it's Men's trials for the 2014 World Team Table Tennis Championships on the 25th of January.

Five players will be selected to play in 2014 WTTTC by these trails. The squad trails that will be held in Zhenjiang, Jiangsu province will be divided into two stages. The first stage will take place on January 25 to 28 and the second will be on February 25 to 28.

wtttc2012.jpg

There will be 12 players in first stage. They will compete in Round Robin and the top finisher from each group achieves direct entry into the lineup. The second stage will have 8 players and this time, the competition will be Knock Out style. The winner will have the second slot available. The remaining 3 spots will be decided by couching team.

Confirmed players of first stage:

1- Ma Long
2- Xu Xin
3- Zhang Jike
4- Wang Hao
5- Fan Zhendong
6- Yan An
7- Hao Shuai
8- Zhou Yu
9- Lin Gaoyuan
10- Liang Jingkun
11- Cheng Jingqi
12- Kong lingxuan

Due to the World Tour Grand Finals, players participating including Ma Long, Xu Xin, Zhang Jike, Wang Hao, Fan Zhendong and Yan An have an automatic qualification into round 2. More details in the posts below.

Discuss below!

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2013
The China trails are the best. All the matches are so intense, every point matters, and you get to see the top players in the world get pushed to their limits.

Does Anyone know who the 12 players are, and is the format the same for men and women?

This is my all time favorite match, it was played in the 2013 China trials. Ma Long vs Fan Zhendong. What a nail bitter.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
The China trails are the best. All the matches are so intense, every point matters, and you get to see the top players in the world get pushed to their limits.

Does Anyone know who the 12 players are, and is the format the same for men and women?

Yeah, I agree the Chinese trials is the best, just like national games - from 1st round it is a tought battle.

I believe the 12 players will only be annouced closer towards the time.
Normally womens is different to men. Will see what KLH decides

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2013
Yeah, I agree the Chinese trials is the best, just like national games - from 1st round it is a tought battle.

I believe the 12 players will only be annouced closer towards the time.
Normally womens is different to men. Will see what KLH decides

According to Liu Guoliang in a recent interview, the six players that are confirmed to participate in 2013 World Tour Grand Finals, i.e. Zhang Jike, Ma Long, Xu Xin, Wang Hao, Fan Zhendong, Yan An, will automatically qualify for the first stage, and the remaining six players will be decided later. However, he only said that the other six players will be chosen from a group of 20 players, but did not elaborate on how the selection system works.

As for women's team, Kong Linghui said that the trial will also consist of two stages. In the first stage, some players from Team B will compete with players from Team A in Round Robin system for 8 spots in the second stage. However, the four players with top ten world ranking (Ding Ning, Liu Shiwen, Li Xiaoxia, Wu Yang) will not participate in the first stage but automatically qualify for the second stage.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2013
According to Liu Guoliang in a recent interview, the six players that are confirmed to participate in 2013 World Tour Grand Finals, i.e. Zhang Jike, Ma Long, Xu Xin, Wang Hao, Fan Zhendong, Yan An, will automatically qualify for the first stage, and the remaining six players will be decided later. However, he only said that the other six players will be chosen from a group of 20 players, but did not elaborate on how the selection system works.

As for women's team, Kong Linghui said that the trial will also consist of two stages. In the first stage, some players from Team B will compete with players from Team A in Round Robin system for 8 spots in the second stage. However, the four players with top ten world ranking (Ding Ning, Liu Shiwen, Li Xiaoxia, Wu Yang) will not participate in the first stage but automatically qualify for the second stage.

Wow, Zhang Jike, Ma Long, Xu Xin, Wang Hao, Fan Zhendong, Yan An is already a world class team, that in my opinion is unbeatable.
It sucks though for the 5th player that has to fight through the second round to get the last spot.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2013
The 12 players for the first stage of China Trials have been decided, and they are:

1. Ma Long
2. Xu Xin
3. Zhang Jike
4. Wang Hao
5. Fan Zhendong
6. Yan An
7. Hao Shuai
8. Zhou Yu
9. Lin Gaoyuan
10.Liang Jingkun
11.Cheng Jingqi
12.Kong Lingxuan

As mentioned earlier, players 1-6 who are scheduled to participate in World Tour Grand Finals are automatically qualified for the first stage. Players 7-12 are the winners of the preliminary round involving 20 players held between December 28-30. The 20 players participated in the preliminary round include:

Group A: Fang Bo, Yin Hang, Hao Shuai, Liang Jingkun, Ren Hao, Liu Yi, Cui Qinglei, Xu Chenhao, Cheng Jingqi, Zhang Yidong
Group B: Liu Jikang, Lin Gaoyuan, Kong Lingxuan, Shang Kun, Ma Te, Zheng Peifeng, Wu Hao, Fan Shengpeng, Zhou Yu, Zhu Lingfeng

Each group played Round Robin, and the top three finishers from each group advanced into the first stage.

The 12 players will play Round Robin and the top finisher will earn a spot in the five man team.

Photos of top six finishers from preliminary round:

Top from Left: Liang Jingkun, Hao Shuai, Cheng Qingqi
Bottom from Left: Zhou Yu, Kong Lingxuan, Lin Gaoyuan

145705z1i1sz1ee9ti9e50.jpg

Last edited:
says bebakhshid.
says bebakhshid.
Jun 2012
The 12 players for the first stage of China Trials have been decided, and they are:

1. Ma Long
2. Xu Xin
3. Zhang Jike
4. Wang Hao
5. Fan Zhendong
6. Yan An
7. Hao Shuai
8. Zhou Yu
9. Lin Gaoyuan
10.Liang Jingkun
11.Cheng Jingqi
12.Kong Lingxuan

As mentioned earlier, players 1-6 who are scheduled to participate in World Tour Grand Finals are automatically qualified for the first stage. Players 7-12 are the winners of the preliminary round involving 20 players held between December 28-30. The 20 players participated in the preliminary round include:

Group A: Fang Bo, Yin Hang, Hao Shuai, Liang Jingkun, Ren Hao, Liu Yi, Cui Qinglei, Xu Chenhao, Cheng Jingqi, Zhang Yidong
Group B: Liu Jikang, Lin Gaoyuan, Kong Lingxuan, Shang Kun, Ma Te, Zheng Peifeng, Wu Hao, Fan Shengpeng, Zhou Yu, Zhu Lingfeng

Each group played Round Robin, and the top three finishers from each group advanced into the first stage.

The 12 players will play Round Robin and the top finisher will earn a spot in the five man team.
If i get you right, you mean all of the 12 layers will play each other in first stage. But i think they will be divided into 4 groups and they will play robin in that groups. The winner of each group will be in the team. In the second stage the 8 player that hasn't been selected for the team will play in a knock-out system and the winner will get the last empty spot of the team.
So i'm right or wrong?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2013
If i get you right, you mean all of the 12 layers will play each other in first stage. But i think they will be divided into 4 groups and they will play robin in that groups. The winner of each group will be in the team. In the second stage the 8 player that hasn't been selected for the team will play in a knock-out system and the winner will get the last empty spot of the team.
So i'm right or wrong?

Yes, all of the 12 players will play each other in the first stage to compete for the first spot in the five men team.

Then the 8 players in the second stage will play knock out to compete for the second spot.

The remaining three spots will be decided by the coaching team.

says bebakhshid.
says bebakhshid.
Jun 2012
Yes, all of the 12 players will play each other in the first stage to compete for the first spot in the five men team.

Then the 8 players in the second stage will play knock out to compete for the second spot.

The remaining three spots will be decided by the coaching team.
So 1 player will be selected in the first stage and 11 will remain. But you said 8 players will compete in second stage for the second spot. How they select the 8 players out of 11 player to be in second stage?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2013
So 1 player will be selected in the first stage and 11 will remain. But you said 8 players will compete in second stage for the second spot. How they select the 8 players out of 11 player to be in second stage?

That's one thing we Chinese fans have been wondering too because Liu Guoliang did not specify how the 8 players will be selected for the second stage. Our guess is the top 8 of the remaining 11 players. I have been following this and will let you know as soon as I have updates on how the second stage works.

says bebakhshid.
says bebakhshid.
Jun 2012
That's one thing we Chinese fans have been wondering too because Liu Guoliang did not specify how the 8 players will be selected for the second stage. Our guess is the top 8 of the remaining 11 players. I have been following this and will let you know as soon as I have updates on how the second stage works.
Thank you for this :) I'm waiting for new info.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
This is more intense than the singles, where there are 7 spots. This year only 5 will go.... Nice to Hao Shuai and the two junior players who competed at the WJTTC. It will be on early that we will know who will go to Tokyo. Some intense stuff coming up!