A Special TV Program on Cai Zhenhua and Liu Guoliang (Eng. Subtitle)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2013
On December 5, 2013, <<Sports Online>> aired a 40 min. special program on Cai Zhenhua and Liu Guoliang as head coach of CNT, the similarities as well as differences in their coaching philosophies and methods. I think it is very informative and enlightening, and would like to share it with members of TTD.

As indicated, the program has English subtitle so that non Chinese speakers could enjoy it.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Yeah, I saw this when they aired it.

Really not easy being LGL, taking over from CZH and loosing 03 and 04.
And I think huge credit to CZH to allow LGL to learn from failures than oppose to fire him after the first 2 years.

In CZH's case, the "oldies" were failure, and they give the role to youngsters.
I think there is too many countries in the world that need to do the same. Let youngsters take over.

I love the rule in CNT - if 4 years, you can not turn the table around, then you much retire and leave as head coach.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2013
Yeah, I saw this when they aired it.

Really not easy being LGL, taking over from CZH and loosing 03 and 04.
And I think huge credit to CZH to allow LGL to learn from failures than oppose to fire him after the first 2 years.

In CZH's case, the "oldies" were failure, and they give the role to youngsters.
I think there is too many countries in the world that need to do the same. Let youngsters take over.

I love the rule in CNT - if 4 years, you can not turn the table around, then you much retire and leave as head coach.

I just found it so interesting that both Cai Zhenhua and Liu Guoling became the head coach the year before Olympic Year, and both suffered defeat in their first Olympic debut as head coach. Chinese lost Men's single's champion in 1992 Olympics after Cai became head coach in 1991, and lost Men's single's champion in 2004 after Liu became head coach in 2003.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I just found it so interesting that both Cai Zhenhua and Liu Guoling became the head coach the year before Olympic Year, and both suffered defeat in their first Olympic debut as head coach. Chinese lost Men's single's champion in 1992 Olympics after Cai became head coach in 1991, and lost Men's single's champion in 2004 after Liu became head coach in 2003.

Yeah, but I think LGL was more difficult role and more dangerous too.

CZH had a weaker CNT
LGL had a stronger one, but face 11 point, ball, service rules change.
I think if LGL didn't had CZH as head coach and mentor, then the CNT of today will be very different. All credits given to CZH and LGL