Chartres disqualified from Champion's League

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Review Moderator
Jul 2011
Read 7 reviews
The draw for final rounds of Men`s European Champions League, held today, had absolutely unexpected turn. French champion Chartres AS TT, who showed an impressive 4-0 (12-0) score in group stage, was disqualified because it turned out that its best player GAO Ning played in the Chinese League A between 25thand 29th September. According to the regulations, French club is disqualified from all ETTU club cup competitions in the current season.
Third placed club from Chartres` group (D), Borussia Dusseldorf was included in the draw. So, MECL quarter final pairs are: Fakel Gazproma Orenburg (Russia) – Borussia Dusseldorf (Germany), UMMC (Russia) – Hennebont (France), Pontoise Cergy (France) – Werder Bremen (Germany), Angers (France) – Niederosterreich (Austria). The first matches will be held on January 17-19th, and second legs are on 24-26th January.

Source: http://www.ettu.org/2013/12/chartres-disqualified-from-mens-ecl/

That's crazy. Chartres won all its group matches 3-0, even against Boll and Baum. I wonder if all Chartres' players knew they were taking this risk.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2013
Read 2 reviews
Yup. From article J.4.2 in the ETTU Handbook (http://www.ettu.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/2013-MAY-22-J-ECL-MEN.pdf):

Together with the entry form, a club shall submit, separately for each one of
its nominated players, a player registration form provided by the ETTU.
This registration form must include the confirmation, that
a.) the club and the player have signed a contract ensuring that the player
will be at the disposal of the club during the whole period of the relevant
season,
b.) the club and the player have accepted the provision of article J.8.5 in the
ETTU Handbook regarding the eligibility for the ECL Men.
The registration form must be signed by the player and one or more duly
authorized representatives of the club. All signatures must be notarized or at
least certified by legalized copies of valid identity documents.

And article J.8.5 from the handbook says:

J.8.5 A player shall compete only for one club in the period starting the day before
the first round of the competition until the day after the club of the player has
played the last match in the competition of the event in international team
competitions under the control of the ETTU or any other Continental
Federation/Union. This regulation also applies to players taking part in any
other team competition on national level under the authority of an ITTF
Member Association, except commitments for their national team.

If Gao played for the Singapore National team, he'd be ok. But he played in the Chinese League ...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I think this is silly.

In other sports, you can "loan" the player to another club.

So this regulations basically locks any ECL player in Europe during the ECL season.
Maybe that is why so many top players didn't participate

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2013
Read 2 reviews
Probably to ensure that teams participating in ECL do not have problems finding players to play matches due to other commitments. It does seem restrictive, but then all players have to sign and have their signatures notarized, so it is very surprising that Gao Ning did play in another league. Perhaps, he thought no one will find out ...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Probably to ensure that teams participating in ECL do not have problems finding players to play matches due to other commitments. It does seem restrictive, but then all players have to sign and have their signatures notarized, so it is very surprising that Gao Ning did play in another league. Perhaps, he thought no one will find out ...

Yeah, but surely that should be club rules, not league rules.
I wonder if any other sport/leagues has this kind of rule too (even though with the PRO sports, you won't see it happening as there is enough $$$)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2013
Read 2 reviews
Yeah, but surely that should be club rules, not league rules.
I wonder if any other sport/leagues has this kind of rule too (even though with the PRO sports, you won't see it happening as there is enough $$$)

Read the league handbook - the section on "marketing regulation" - read "money" - comes first. That's why the league wants to enforce that matches happen when scheduled, and also does not want to police the issue itself, hence the above player participation rule - making it the club's responsibility and consequences. If there was no such rule, then some "star" players would start to pick and choose which matches in which leagues they want to play in, leading to scheduling conflicts, and potential lost revenue to the league. Also, if a player has to play regularly in the ETTU league, their home club will probably be their training base, and their skills will rub off on the other club players.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Read the league handbook - the section on "marketing regulation" - read "money" - comes first. That's why the league wants to enforce that matches happen when scheduled, and also does not want to police the issue itself, hence the above player participation rule - making it the club's responsibility and consequences. If there was no such rule, then some "star" players would start to pick and choose which matches in which leagues they want to play in, leading to scheduling conflicts, and potential lost revenue to the league. Also, if a player has to play regularly in the ETTU league, their home club will probably be their training base, and their skills will rub off on the other club players.

Thanks for sharing, and sorry, I don't really have time to read that.

I guess it does make sense from where ETTU is coming from, but really does looks desprete.

So say, Gao Ning wants to play in Jia A, which he did, and now his club gets disqualified totally, so whats next? or was it a purely boo boo?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2013
Read 2 reviews
No, Chartres should hire you, if you were there in the first place, I doubt this would of happened lol

I'd love a job that requires me to shadow Gao Ning, and remind him that he'd not allowed to sneak out for a quickie in the Chinese league :). I might even learn something from him :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2013
It's cool for Düsseldorf, but I can't understand why Gao Ning plays in the Chinese Superleague

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
It's cool for Düsseldorf, but I can't understand why Gao Ning plays in the Chinese Superleague

Gao Ning didn't even play in the superleague, he played in Jia A, where he was registered with Tianjian Fushida Team already (before the start of the Euro season).
Persson also plays for the same team.