Have you used a robot?

says Thanks Dan, Posting of threads understood. :)
Nov 2010
How many of you have used a robot?
Share your experience with us.

Which robot did you use? How long?
Did you find it helpful?
Did you find any limitations to its usefulness?
Do you still use it?

ttmatic-table-tennis-505b-551-171_zoom.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
Got one for the garden table last year 'Practice Partner' mainly for my grandson I am coaching. We went to Ping London and he had at least 5 goes on the one they had there and loved it thus the reason I got one. I had a go and while I was hitting the normal shot he changed it to spin without me knowing and from that point I wondered why I could not get the ball over until he told me - laughing of course. Well worth having one especially when the years are rolling on for me.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
I have bought a "Master Gen 5" robot 3 months ago. I think its a great method to get your strokes right. You can practice to whatever time scale and pace that you like without the hassle of finding someone who is patient enough to go along with your desire and passion for training. For me, the only disadvantage is I have to take it to the club upstairs by staircase and set it up every time that I use it. So it would be perfect if you can leave it at the same place all the time! In fact, I am thinking of selling it for around £200. If you or anyone who is interested please let me know.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2011
currently using a newgy robopong 2050. nice way to get a workout even without someone to play with. The drills are ok especially when practiciing footwork.

Nov 2010
I agree with you totally, ngpalace. Finding the right practice partner of a level suitable to your own is very difficult. And if you do, his schedule doesn't match with your own!

Too bad you have to carry it around, it would be great if you had your own table or at your friend's place.

I am in India, so no question of picking up any robot without proper local service support. A friend of mine bought a Newgy at his brother's home in Canada & brought it all the way to Bombay. It stopped working the very first day & its lying useless since then!!!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
I've got a table and robot (robopong 2040) setup in my garage. Its great for grooving shots and some drills etc. I find that if I use it too much however, when I play against people I get lazy and lose all the other things you need like anticipation and reading a players intentions through their weight placement etc.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
Nothing like playing & teaching one's children or grandchildren. Your grandson seems very smart and fun loving, how old is he?
What was the model no. & capabilities of this 'Practice Partner' you have used?
Do let us know.
My grandson might be smart but he is not committed enough. He has all the shots but only goes for coaching once a week and this is not a serious session. The night that he should be going for serious coaching he has footy training which takes priority much to my frustration although he is good at that as well. If he does not change his approach to the game during the summer I will have to re-think about continuing with him. He is 13 and has been playing just 2 years. I should also like to add its cost me quite a bit on money which would not be too bad if he was more keener. The robot I got was from Tees Sport last year at a special price of £329.00 which included a net and is great fun using it. I think the right price was £399.00 and on the box it says Practice Partner 20 which I presume is the model number.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
Yes, I use a robot and it improved my strokes a lot. Practice with a human means picking up the ball each time you miss the ball. And your partner misses too so it doubles the number of times you go chase and pick up the ball. Play with robot improves your game fast.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
If you get a robot, make sure you get a net to go at the end you are hitting the ball to. I do 100 balls at a time so I would not fancy picking all these up although some do go astray but this can not be helped but once you get used to it, not many do miss the net.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
I was at a Chinese table tennis training center/club, and the teachers actually said that it wasn't that good to train using the robot. At least the one that they had at the club shot balls too fast, and therefore for all but the top players, it made it so fast that it ruined your form and actually was a detriment to training.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
Hmm, many coaches will and players will say robots aren't good or that they've never trained on one, ever. I'd say yeah, robots probably aren't nearly as good practice partners as real good quality practice buddies or coaches, but hey, sometimes they're all you got. :p A robot is surely better than nothing, as long as you know how to use... and it's programmable... and not what the guy above said.