Tools used to cut rubbers

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2013
Read 6 reviews
What is the best tool to use when cutting rubbers so that the edge of the rubber are perfectly smooth or almost smooth? When i cut my rubber for the first time, my forehand rubber chipped a bit for some reason and i was wondering how i can avoid by using tool much better (I used a cutter knife).

says I'm wondering if Joola maxxx 500 fh and calibra tour m...
says I'm wondering if Joola maxxx 500 fh and calibra tour m...
Jan 2014
What about scissors, i always use them and i take my time to get a clean cut. They just have to be very sharp and sturdy. If you see the pros cutting rubbers, they always use small scissors... kinda like school scissors! Well try it out

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2013
I've found this blade best so far, but be careful when using it because it's very sharp.[h=1]Medline #11 carbon steel surgical blades[/h]. You can get at local medical stores or online.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
This is what most of the Korean coaches use... It is very inexpensive, comes with 3-4 rows of the blades with 8-10 perforations. For USD $2-$3, they can cut up 50+ rubbers perfect.

Box-cutter.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2013
Read 6 reviews
This is what most of the Korean coaches use... It is very inexpensive, comes with 3-4 rows of the blades with 8-10 perforations. For USD $2-$3, they can cut up 50+ rubbers perfect.

View attachment 5490[/QUOTE
This is the actual knife that i use but when i first used it i noticed it chipped a bit my rubber and was wondering will any type of store bought scissor work to cut the rubber more cleanly? Like when i use the cutter knife (the pink knife you posted) i have to go over the rubber like 3 times to actually cut it out. So if i were to use scissors, will it cut through the rubber just once or would i have to cut it like 3 times like the cutter knife?

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
If you use that box cutter and have to cut the rubber three times, you are being WAY too gentle with it or it is SERIOUSLY time to snap off a cm blade piece and use a new cm...

To be fair, to get the cut started, you have to be really firm starting and maintaining the cut to do it one shot one kill fashion. You nee to have a magazine or something soft under the rubber. We use the paper board the rubber came in... It is jus the right size. Anything bigger just gets in the way. Some pro shops use that knife and a thick plastic custom sized chop board to keep the rubber from sliding and to brace it all.

It takes a few times doing it with that box knife to get a consistent clean cut every time. You have to have the right heavy pressure on both the rubber/blade, heavy even pressure on the cutting blade, same cut angle, and patience as you turn and cut the thing.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
As I said earlier, I use scissors and am completely satisfied. Many Korean club players change their rubbers once every 6 months or later, so they do not change often, plus they have coach do it for them. Coach will do it quick as they do thousands every year. The club members almost seem to demand a fresh, clean factory look.

Several have me cut it for them with scissors if I apply edge tape. I can cut it decent good with scissors pretty quick, but it is never going to be 100% perfect. however, with edge tape applied, it looks almost 100% great. Never had a Korean gripe about one of my scissors cutting jobs. I only let coach cut my rubber if I had them water glue it on my blade. I carry Elmers around with me and certain sponges need water glue.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2012
As I said earlier, I use scissors and am completely satisfied. Many Korean club players change their rubbers once every 6 months or later, so they do not change often, plus they have coach do it for them. Coach will do it quick as they do thousands every year. The club members almost seem to demand a fresh, clean factory look.

Several have me cut it for them with scissors if I apply edge tape. I can cut it decent good with scissors pretty quick, but it is never going to be 100% perfect. however, with edge tape applied, it looks almost 100% great. Never had a Korean gripe about one of my scissors cutting jobs. I only let coach cut my rubber if I had them water glue it on my blade. I carry Elmers around with me and certain sponges need water glue.

do you mean this kind of glue? can this be used for gluing the rubbers?what do you use it for?
IMG_20140204_122700.jpg

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Good advice about the edge tape. I sometimes use a thick tape on the blade before cutting. After cutting, remove the tape and the rubber will have a very small and neat overhang

That is awesome advice, Tnykin. :) That is the way to go.

@ Shiro: my guess is that edge tape would be enough to help protect if you messed up a little cutting. Another thing to think about, if there is a chip at the edge, that is not where you hit. A lot of the time, by the time you change rubbers, there are chips at the edge of a rubber. Most rubbers do that as you play, but especially with Xiom rubbers, many of them will chip and tear near the edge. It does not really matter.

Another thing to think about, as you cut more and more rubbers you get better at it. There are a few people who have me cut their rubbers for them so I have had a little practice. I am much better at it now then I was 4 years ago when I did my first. I used to use an Xacto Knife to cut my rubbers. Now I just use sharp scissors. I like the scissors better. I can cut the rubber in half the time and I feel like I get just as good a cut. But whatever you use to cut the rubbers, as you practice you get better.

And the edge of the blade is not as important as the center. After you use those rubbers for a few months, no matter how perfectly they were cut at the beginning, they will have some dings and tears in them, regardless of what kind of rubber you are using. As long as you play a lot and hard, what I just said is simply the case and nothing to worry about. Nothing wrong with having a racket with battle scars.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2013
Read 6 reviews
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2012

View attachment 5490

I use the same cutter but with the thinner blade. NT brand made in Japan, the only brand I use as other brands are not as sharp. I remove the blade from the cutter handle. I cut very carefully in long slow sawing motion, much like drawing the bow of a violin from end to end. The edge of the blade guides the cut so care most be taken to ensure you do not chip the blade. This usually produce perfectly cut rubbers.