STIGA Infinity VPS V Blade + Clippa & Calibra Tour M Review

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2013
Firstly, I want to thank STIGA for giving me another chance to work with them again. Thank Stiga for believing me that I can do a even better review than the previous review. For you info, I review the STIGA Rosewood XO blade and also the STIGA Calibra Spin LT on the backhand. This time, I have a completely new set of products from STIGA to review on. There are the new STIGA Infinity VPS V Blade and also the STIGA Calibra Tour M Rubber (Max) to review on. Not forgetting that the Classic, the STIGA Clippa Short Pimple rubber (1.8mm) also to be part of my review as well. I will be putting the STIGA Clippa on the forehand while the STIGA Calibra Tour M as the backhand.

From the first look, all 3 products look extremely cool and nice. The Infinity VPS top surface is really smooth. While the Calibra Tour M look abit like the Bluefire Series M2, that kind of non-tacky rubber. Lastly the Clippa is the one that I think is the best out of all Short pimple rubber as it is really really nice.

From the other reviewers on the web, I have studied a bit on all 3 products. As 2 of them are quite new, no really a lot of comments are on the web. The Clippa SP has also little comment on it, as it is not everyone who dare to try this rubber as it’s rumored to be fast, very fast, Despite fast, it’s also quite spinny for a SP. From STIGA : “ It’s best suited for close table attack”. While as time progress, more and more people are developing the mid-table looping technique, lesser people are using speed to win points, but using spinny, aggressive looping to win points.

But from my point of view, as it’s 2014, the time for ITTF to changing the ball is getting near, looping style techniques may become a disadvantage, as the ball speed decrease with the new ball, and the flat-hitting technique, using fast speed to win points may come up to be the trend again. So, I recommend everyone to have a close look onto Short Pimples as they may become the hottest trend in table tennis again.

Now, I will tell everyone what I will be testing on the blade and rubber, their combination and their pros and cons,etc.
The most focus point on the Calibra Tour M will be the trajectory, the speed, the spin, the weight and as well for the throw angle. The most focus point on the Clippa will be the Speed, the weight, throw angle and as well as the spin, since it’s known for being Spinny although it is a SP. For the blade, it’ll the blade weight, hardness and as well the Combination suitability for what kind of rubbers.
Okay, let me introduce my playing style: I am a right-hand Penholder, with more of fast attacking near table and looping style. I rarely use the reverse backhand, but I am increasing the using of it. My serves are usually side spin with combination of backspin, abit like Wang Hao’s serve, and it usually goes to the middle/far table. As for service return, as a penholder, it is normally a push or flick. Forehand wise, I attack the wings of the table. I will use fast attack when near table while looping more when I get further away from the table.
From STIGA, it says that the Infinity VPS V with Diamond Touch and also with the brand new VPS technology (Veneer Precision System) is built with two hand-selected middle veneers that are treated with a unique and exact heating and cooling process with precisely measured time and temperature.
It’s quite light for me as I am used to heavier blades. The craftsmanship is excellent and the texture feels great. The blade is quite stiff, not really very stiff like the Rosewood VII or the Ebenholz VII, but somewhere between them. It is somewhere near the Rosewood XO. For me, this blade feels great when close to table, which suit my style of playing, so it’s fine. The opponent cannot really return the ball well. As I get further away from the table, I feel like I need to exert more force to have the same amount of speed and spin gradually. As I play fast attack, with fast hits, and seldom looping, this blade will not be better than the Clipper Wood, which is built for flat hitting. But nevertheless, this blade still provide a great overall play for all kind of style. This blade suit all kind of rubbers, but I think that mid-hard sponge rubber suit the blade the best.

For the forehand rubber, which I put the STIGA Clippa Short Pimple rubber, I feel that the combination between this SP and blade is excellent. The weight of this SP is also light, easy for Fast-attack near the table. The throw angle is low, but is not very low. Near table attacks easily pass the net, while getting further, you will have to adjust the angle abit, but once you get used to it, this SP is easy to use and also deadly to the opponent. For the spin wise, service is almost as spinny as most of the Reverse pimple rubber. Although being much more spinny that most SP, spin from the opponent also affect more than regular SP. For those who have been using reversed pimple rubber, for the start, you will need some time to adjust your angle to excute the same loop and topspin you used to use. But the switching process is fast; one session and you will get used to this SP.

For the backhand rubber, which I put the STIGA Calibra Tour M, I can say that this rubber will be much better if you think that DONIC Bluefire M2 is good. STIGA Calibra Tour M is somewhat an upgrade of the DONIC Bluefire M2 I can say. This rubber not only have the control but also the trajectory. Why do I say this rubber suit my backhand? Cause I use the traditional Backhand to push when near table, but as I step back, I’ll start to use the reverse backhand. This rubber ensure that the ball will land onto the opponent table with great speed and spin. But I say first, this rubber cannot give u very short balls that is near the net. But if you are a looper or like me a Near table fast-attack player, this rubber will be the best for you. No matter if it is you put it on the forehand or the backhand, this rubber is a great combination of all 3 qualities of speed, spin and most importantly control. I would not say it has the fastest speed nor the spinniest spin, but I would say that the amount of control is definitely excellent, plus the addition of good speed and spin, it is more than sufficient to kill of your opponent with either fast shot or topspin. Plus the weight is somewhere in the middle, comfortable for both Forehand and Backhand. The throw angle wise is also somewhere in the middle, you will find that you will play comfortably with this rubber. I recommend this rubber to all players who want to have excellent control with also excellent spin and speed. This rubber will give a “whole new world” feeling.

I play a friendly match with my friends, with 7 sets each( 5 friends in total) and won 3 matches, and lost 2 of them. For the match I won, the score is as such:
Vs Player 1: 4-2
( 11:7 , 9:11 , 12:10 , 11: 5, 7:11, 12:10)
Vs Player 2: 4-1
(11:5 , 11:7 , 11:5 , 9:11 , 11:9)
Vs Player 3: 4-2
(11:6 , 8:11, 9:11 , 11:7, 11:9, 11:5)

While the 2 games that I lost:
Vs Player 4: 2-4
( 7:11 , 11:9, 6:11, 8:11, 11:5, 7:11)
Vs Player 5: 1-4
(5:11, 7:11, 9:11, 11:7, 10:12)

These are some comments from the players:
Player 1: “ Your(my) receive is good and cause problem for my(his) 3rd ball attack.”
Player 2: “ Difficult to receive my service and speed is fast(forehand).”
Player 4: “ You(I) start to lose points when looping, but when you(I) fast attack near the table, i(him) could only defend by returning high ball and wait for chance to counter-attack.”
Player 5: “ Service(mine) is hard to receive, but once you(I) get further away from the table for Mid-table looping, your(my) error percentage become higher.”
(*FYI- Player 3 did not say any but “good game, you’re good.”)
My comments:
Most of my points come from my service, 3rd ball attack and fast-ball attack(Jamming the opponent). 30% come from my service, 50% come from Fast ball attack and the last 20% come from 3rd ball attack. Comparing it with the previous bat( STIGA Rosewood XO – DHS Skyline TG3 – STIGA Calibra Spin LT), it is definitely lighter, more suit for near table, and also faster.
-STIGA Infinity VPS V: 9.3
Speed 9.5
Control 8.7
Stiffness 4.5
Hardness 6.5
Consistency 9.0

Stiga Calibra Tour M: 9.0
Speed 9.0
Spin 9.0
Control 9.0
Tackiness 1.0
Throw Angle 4.5
Weight 3.0
Sponge Hardness 4.5
Gears 9.5
Durability 8.0
Consistency 9.5

STIGA Clippa: 9.1
Speed 9.5
Spin 7.5
Control 9.0
Deception 4.5
Weight 2.5
Sponge Hardness 7.0
Consistency 8.5

Last edited:
Reactions: CaptainBit
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2013
Erm, to Cobrado, I'm not really like the pro compared to Dan and Tom, but from an amateur player point of view, this is my review on the Infinity VPS and the 2 rubbers. I hope that i can do a video review, but i'm not really confident of it. Maybe it will be nice to stick with what i'm comfortable with first and slowly progress into video? Thanks for your understanding.
To Xoxopingpong, I have been into STIGA for almost a year, i would say. From the first review of Rosewood XO to now the Infinity VPS. From my point of view, it's not what the top players are using that matters but what kind of equipments suit you better is the most important. It does not mean that this equipment suits top players mean it would suit you. For me, as a Amateur player, i give out my own comment on the equipments and write it out to share with others table tennis players. As in the world market, there are more amateur player than professional i guess. From this point, i think that a review from a player who is somewhat same standard as you will give you a better advice on the equipment than the professional.

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀
Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Great review, I can see you put a lot of time and thought into these. Good point there, short pimples could become a lot more popular again. I have a feeling the new ball will make players have to spin more, as the slower ball will make it harder to go through players with power. I think rallies will likely become longer again due to this change.

We have similar review points on the VPS blade. I like how it is light, well balanced and good close to the table.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2012
I've tested Stiga Infinity VPS and I can say with this blade you can have a very easy time when flat-flicking the ball and if you're very good at flicking you can practically flick even the heavy backspin ones because the stiffness of this blade is just right. I played with a different blade that was much stiffer than Infinity so I had to exert more energy when flicking backspin but with Infinity it all landed on the table with ease. Though I wouldn't say Infinity is quite stiff, of course it's not as flexy ax Primorac OFF- either but the balance of stiffness is just about right.

With Infinity you have to win the points quickly as it's a blade designed to be swift at opening up a game and finish the point by outmanoeuvring the opponent. If you however during the rally take too much time and engage in away-from-the-table looping you might lose due to the lack of power to those that use carbon blades.

Last edited:
Reactions: shahbazkhan94
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2012
It depends on what's your style, how do you usually during the match like to win points. Do you win points by fast reaction close to the table by flicking and quick top spinning and such than Infinity or if you prefer to step away from the table and give the opponents those long trajectory loops then Rosewood.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
would infinity be suitable for mid distance looping if used with hard spong rubber with long trajactory like calibra lt or tour H..??
moreover how u see it while comparing to sense 7.6 or carbo 7.6 that uses 6 plies carbon and much stiffee than this i think..?

Sent from my QMobile Noir A10 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2012
Those are the good rubbers for Infinity, anything hard like tour H or Tibhar Evolution Mx-P. Sense 7.6 is more powerful so on FH I would choose like Adidas P7 as it's less springy.

This user has no status.
Those are the good rubbers for Infinity, anything hard like tour H or Tibhar Evolution Mx-P. Sense 7.6 is more powerful so on FH I would choose like Adidas P7 as it's less springy.

i have used sense 7.6 with stiga magna tx ii max on FH. this setup is beyond my control so i am going switch this to infinity with stiga magna ts ii max on FH. nw searching for good ruber in low budget for bh and easily available at my local markets :D like razka 7 or joola express one. i m not sure if this is accurate selection for infinity. Kindly guide me.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2012
Imho Bluefire M3 is very good for BH on this blade. Since Infinity throw is already quite high and Bluefire M3 throw is not as high as tenergy so it'll be a perfect balance. I haven't tried Rakza 7 but I suppose also good for BH.

Reactions: shahbazkhan94
This user has no status.
Imho Bluefire M3 is very good for BH on this blade. Since Infinity throw is already quite high and Bluefire M3 throw is not as high as tenergy so it'll be a perfect balance. I haven't tried Rakza 7 but I suppose also good for BH.

thanx alot for suggestion. :)