New ball v the old.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
It appears that many clubs are buying up a good supply of the old type balls before they go out of production.. However, is it definate that the old type can still be used as no one seems to know. I was thinking of stockpilling the old type but if they are banned it would be a waste if money.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Balls wont be banned anytime soon, it is just that ITTF plans to use the newer balls for pro matches.

Of course just about every Natl Assn blindly follows ITTF and copy/pastes the ITTF rules and spec into their natl rules and specs, so who knows???

If you don't want to worry about how the stuff affects amature play, go to Korea or China, those boys and girls roll with whatever they want to roll with and they are all down with it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I think too many people are freaking out.

What is said above is true - it will take time for the national bodies to impliment the change.
The change is top down. One day, it will all change.

You should ask yourself, 40mm ball change - how long did that take in your country?

Regarding - old type can still be used - no one say you can't use it.
Unless you intend on playing world tours, world championships etc, are you?

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀
Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Not really.
There are some "specials", but I believe those are Fake DHS 3 stars going on specials.

Some stores may be reducing inventory on balls, but all discounts are not "dum ping" stock price.

Thanks Tony that makes sense. Great posts here all. I think your right it will be a similar process to the 38mm ball to 40. I remember the transfer slightly and it took around 6 months in the UK.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy

says Aging is a killer
The celluloid balls will still be quite legal and available. It will be up to each tournament promoter/local league as to when and where they use the poly balls. Unlike the 38mm balls for which production ceased.
More than likely each national association will recommend usage of he poly ball only.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
In SA, our season will be "half way" through, so more likely any new implementations will only start for the next season (Apr - 2015).
That is the quickest.
If any delays happens, it could even be Apr - 2016.