PDA

View Full Version : Ask Kristian Karlsson a question!

TableTennisDaily
02-17-2014, 03:28 PM
Hi everyone,

Kristian Karlsson is our latest addition to the Verified Pro Account and has signed up to the TableTennisDaily website and is willing to answer your questions! Kristian is a professional player who represented Sweden at the London 2012 Olympics. His current world ranking stands at 92 on the ITTF World Ranking List (January 2014)!

https://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/forum/images/kristianproplayer.jpg
Kristian Karlsson - Photo by: An Sung Ho

Kristian Karlsson (@Kristian Karlsson) is registered to the site, any questions you would like to ask him, just fire away by posting below and he will do his best to get back to you as soon as possible.

Kristian Karlsson
02-17-2014, 03:30 PM
Hello all. Thanks for setting this up TTD. I have been following lots of news on here and other verified pro player responses for a while now. Thanks for all the support everyone. I will do my best to get back to your questions.

Thanks.

Giangt
02-17-2014, 03:42 PM
Hi Kristian.
Welcome on board! Looking forward to hear about your experience being a pro player. :)

TTHopeful
02-17-2014, 04:04 PM
Welcome Kristian!

I would like to know what was it like paring up with Fan Zhendong at the recent Kuwait Open? Did you guys have some tactics? Did you speak English together?

Sorry for all my questions :)

https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/t1/1688954_615871361816089_2137692579_n.jpg

MDanielCRO
02-17-2014, 04:16 PM
Are you excited to play in doubles with Yan An at Qatar open? :D

izra
02-17-2014, 04:19 PM
who did you play against that had a quality that really made them stand out and what was it?

anything about a certain opponent that amazed you or you found difficult to play against?

Kristian Karlsson
02-17-2014, 05:11 PM
Hi Kristian.
Welcome on board! Looking forward to hear about your experience being a pro player. :)

Hi Giangt! Thanks for the Welcome, I look forward to be a part of the community on this site!

Kristian Karlsson
02-17-2014, 05:17 PM
Welcome Kristian!

I would like to know what was it like paring up with Fan Zhendong at the recent Kuwait Open? Did you guys have some tactics? Did you speak English together?

Sorry for all my questions :)

https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/t1/1688954_615871361816089_2137692579_n.jpg

Thanks!

This was the second time I had the priviliege to be pairedwith Fan Zhendong and it was again a great experience. We always had a tactic before our match. Obviously the tactic was depending on which opponents we where matched against. We also had a fun agreement, he'd teach me Table Tennis and i'd taech him English. He is a really nice person and very humble. After we went out in the quarter final he said he was sarry for the terrible performance he did, which i replied i don't think you are the problem :)

Kristian Karlsson
02-17-2014, 05:20 PM
Are you excited to play in doubles with Yan An at Qatar open? :D

Hi MDanielCRO. Yes ofcourse im excited to play with Yan An. It's a really nice event for me when i can play with the chinese players, this will be my third time. It gives you a tiny bit of insight on how they work and prepare for a match. This is information you can use and adapt to since they are by far the best players in the world :)

Kristian Karlsson
02-17-2014, 05:23 PM
who did you play against that had a quality that really made them stand out and what was it?

anything about a certain opponent that amazed you or you found difficult to play against?

Hi Izra!
That was a tricky question and had me pondering quite a while. In my first World Championship match ever, I had the honor of playing agianst Ma Long in the 2012 World team championships in Dortmund. After the match (i think i got 2,3,5 or something like that) Irealised how exceptionally good the best chinese players really are. They do soooooo small mistakes every match that's it's really really difficult to find weak spots in their gameplay. That it outstanding to me!
Best regards, Kristian!

Dan
02-17-2014, 05:31 PM
Hi Tristian! Really appreciate you joining the TTD community!

This time in Qatar you are playing doubles with Yan An. How comes your not pairing with Fan Zhendong again?

Who picks your doubles partners?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy

Kristian Karlsson
02-17-2014, 05:36 PM
Hi Tristian! Really appreciate you joining the TTD community!

This time in Qatar you are playing doubles with Yan An. How comes your not pairing with Fan Zhendong again?

Who picks your doubles partners?

Hi Dan!
Yeah im happy that i had the chance of becoming a part of this site!
I have no idea who sets the paring for doubles. But i've figured that it is some sort of promotional thing from china so i guess they set the pair, and through that conclusion im really happy that i've been chosen 3 times so far :)

Dan
02-17-2014, 05:46 PM
Hi Dan!
Yeah im happy that i had the chance of becoming a part of this site!
I have no idea who sets the paring for doubles. But i've figured that it is some sort of promotional thing from china so i guess they set the pair, and through that conclusion im really happy that i've been chosen 3 times so far :)

Wow thats really cool! Well done getting selected!

How much are you training these days? Do you periodise your training for events. For example what has your training been like in the lead up to the Kuwait and Qatar open?

Kristian Karlsson
02-17-2014, 06:08 PM
Wow thats really cool! Well done getting selected!

How much are you training these days? Do you periodise your training for events. For example what has your training been like in the lead up to the Kuwait and Qatar open?

Yes i periodise my training ver ycarefully since i have matches quite often in Pro A (France Leauge). So when I have like 2-3 weeks with only 1 or 2 matches i try to practice extra hard then because when i travel much back and forth i loose some training time. It's a puzzle but it's manageable.

The training up to Kuwait and Qatar Have been quite normal with 2 sessions almost everyday the last 10 days before. Those 2 sessions can be table tennis, physical or mental practice.

tomtat92
02-17-2014, 07:08 PM
Hello, what is the best technical tips you have got from a trainer that has improved your game the most? :)

M51
02-17-2014, 07:28 PM
The training up to Kuwait and Qatar Have been quite normal with 2 sessions almost everyday the last 10 days before. Those 2 sessions can be table tennis, physical or mental practice.
What kind of mental practice?

Kristian Karlsson
02-17-2014, 07:52 PM
What kind of mental practice?
Last year I had a mental coach which I still have contact with, we discuss how I feel during practice and matches but lately my main mental practice have been about Visualisation

Icemanspirit
02-17-2014, 09:03 PM
Hi Kristian,
firstly great to see another player joining the site.
My question is what your impression is of FZD additionally to him being humble and a nice person.
How would you describe I attitude towards the game?
How fast is he actually in the court when you stand that close to him?

Thank you, for this opportunity to raise questions!

Kristian Karlsson
02-18-2014, 02:40 PM
Hi Kristian,
firstly great to see another player joining the site.
My question is what your impression is of FZD additionally to him being humble and a nice person.
How would you describe I attitude towards the game?
How fast is he actually in the court when you stand that close to him?

Thank you, for this opportunity to raise questions!

His attitude towards table tennis is pure dedication. He loves table tennis and it's almost all that he speaks of. He is really fast, but I think the reason of him seeming to be unhumanbly fast is his abillity to read where the opponent plays his next ball. He reads the game and moves before most others do creating the illusion that he is Usian Bolt :)

TTHopeful
02-18-2014, 07:23 PM
Thanks!

This was the second time I had the priviliege to be pairedwith Fan Zhendong and it was again a great experience. We always had a tactic before our match. Obviously the tactic was depending on which opponents we where matched against. We also had a fun agreement, he'd teach me Table Tennis and i'd taech him English. He is a really nice person and very humble. After we went out in the quarter final he said he was sarry for the terrible performance he did, which i replied i don't think you are the problem :)

Thanks for the reply! Lol Fan Zhendong sounds like a cool person! He seems very humble and nice to like you say.

What do you think is the most important part to practice in table tennis? What can average players do/practice to improve as quick as possible?

Do you do strength and conditioning? If so what areas do you think are important? Perhaps lunges? squats? etc...

Kristian Karlsson
02-19-2014, 05:06 AM
Thanks for the reply! Lol Fan Zhendong sounds like a cool person! He seems very humble and nice to like you say.

What do you think is the most important part to practice in table tennis? What can average players do/practice to improve as quick as possible?

Do you do strength and conditioning? If so what areas do you think are important? Perhaps lunges? squats? etc...

I think that it's the same for all players who have the basics, have an idea how you want to play and then look into our game and try to reduce the flaws. Sure it's important to practice alot but i think Quality>Quantity. Also have fun! Tons of fun!

Yes I do! The most important areas for table tennis players in my opinion are Legs, stomach and back. These 3 areas is needed for almost every single time you touch the ball in a match. Stamina is really important aswell!

Take care!

Anders
02-20-2014, 12:04 PM
Hello Kristian, greetings from Norway!

I just want to know out of pure curiousity what rubbers and blade do you play, and how would you describe their pros and cons?
Also, what are your future ambitions with table tennis? Do you think you can help europe back into the top of the table tennis world, not only by playing yourself but also as an inspiring player for youngsters? :)

Kristian Karlsson
02-20-2014, 06:00 PM
Hello Kristian, greetings from Norway!

I just want to know out of pure curiousity what rubbers and blade do you play, and how would you describe their pros and cons?
Also, what are your future ambitions with table tennis? Do you think you can help europe back into the top of the table tennis world, not only by playing yourself but also as an inspiring player for youngsters? :)

I play with Stiga Clipper as a blade
And Calibra LT 2.0 on both forehand and backhand.
My current ambition as a table tennis player is to establish myself as a top 50 player in the world. When (not if) i have succeded with that i'll set another goal then :) I hope I can inspire young players and I try my best to be a good sportsman both inside the court and outside. The 2 players which inspired me most during the years have been Timo Boll and Jörgen Persson. 2 exceptionally good sportsmen which i strive to be like.
Thanks for the support!
Br Kristian

TTHopeful
02-20-2014, 06:33 PM
I think that it's the same for all players who have the basics, have an idea how you want to play and then look into our game and try to reduce the flaws. Sure it's important to practice alot but i think Quality>Quantity. Also have fun! Tons of fun!

Yes I do! The most important areas for table tennis players in my opinion are Legs, stomach and back. These 3 areas is needed for almost every single time you touch the ball in a match. Stamina is really important aswell!

Take care!

Thanks!

Unlucky against Gionis today. How did you find his style? It was a shame it was not live on the live streaming I wanted to watch this match. What are your best tactics for playing against defensive players?

MDanielCRO
02-20-2014, 06:36 PM
Why do you use 2.0 thickness, what is the main reason for not using max?
Do you use any kind of boosting on rubbers?

Kristian Karlsson
02-20-2014, 06:37 PM
Thanks!

Unlucky against Gionis today. How did you find his style? It was a shame it was not live on the live streaming I wanted to watch this match. What are your best tactics for playing against defensive players?

Hehe i wouldnt say unlucky, he was the better player today :) I like to play against defenders and as i where going into this match i knew i had a good chance of taking the match. He wanted differently today and like i said, he was 1 number to big for me today. My main strategi is to make a defender move as much as possible, they're very fit players but eventually they will make mistakes if you can waer them out. Gionis played really well the last 3 sets and i was the one who was forced to mistakes. Next time i shall have my revenge! :D

Kristian Karlsson
02-20-2014, 06:56 PM
Why do you use 2.0 thickness, what is the main reason for not using max?
Do you use any kind of boosting on rubbers?

If I use maximum the rubbers tend to be thicker then they are allowed to be :)
We all do :)

fanTT
02-20-2014, 07:16 PM
Hello, Kristian,

I have kind of a serious question. Can table tennis player live from this sport? Does only top players can make profit from table tennis besides they are having fun :)
The reason why i am asking is that for example in our country there are good promising young players - europe juniors winners and similar, but later in age they don't put much effort in it because, everybody says you can't live from it, so it just became nice hobby. What you could tell us about this side of table tennis?
Thank you! :)

MDanielCRO
02-20-2014, 07:20 PM
If I use maximum the rubbers tend to be thicker then they are allowed to be :)
We all do :)

I knew it! Thanks a lot :))

Kristian Karlsson
02-20-2014, 08:04 PM
Hello, Kristian,

I have kind of a serious question. Can table tennis player live from this sport? Does only top players can make profit from table tennis besides they are having fun :)
The reason why i am asking is that for example in our country there are good promising young players - europe juniors winners and similar, but later in age they don't put much effort in it because, everybody says you can't live from it, so it just became nice hobby. What you could tell us about this side of table tennis?
Thank you! :)

A table tennis player can definetly live from his sport. It's difficult to put a "ranking mark" on the sweet spot where you can make profit from it but if I had to say a number i'd put it around 200 in the world. Then you can find a club which will provide enough money for you to live on it. Sure you cannot save that much money but if you love what you're doing then it's worth it. Once you improve your play you can earn quite well on table tennis im sure :)

Take care!

luqketti
02-20-2014, 09:21 PM
Kristian its so nice to have you here asnwering all our questions about the pros like yourself! thanks so much!

I wanted to ask if you know if some of the top pros do change the handle of their blades for marketing purposes, is it common? Like some chinese players use viscarias with other handles, or other europeans use timo bolls alc blades (or any other commonly used blade) with a diferent handle depending on who is sponsoring them?

Kristian Karlsson
02-21-2014, 09:21 AM
Kristian its so nice to have you here asnwering all our questions about the pros like yourself! thanks so much!

I wanted to ask if you know if some of the top pros do change the handle of their blades for marketing purposes, is it common? Like some chinese players use viscarias with other handles, or other europeans use timo bolls alc blades (or any other commonly used blade) with a diferent handle depending on who is sponsoring them?

Hi! Well from what I can tell it's not that common at all. I know a few players that does it but not many.
Thanks for the kind words :)
Take care!

Dan
02-21-2014, 10:56 AM
Have you tried out and tested the new ball yet Kristian? Just wondering your thoughts on it and its effects to table tennis in the future for pro players.

Kristian Karlsson
02-21-2014, 05:48 PM
Have you tried out and tested the new ball yet Kristian? Just wondering your thoughts on it and its effects to table tennis in the future for pro players.

I havn't got the chance to test it very much just played with it a few minutes. So I can't really give any opinions about the new ball yet. Sorry for the dissapointing reply :(
Take Care
Kristian

Butt Stallion
02-21-2014, 06:45 PM
Hey Kristian Karlsson, its sooooooooo nice to talk to real table tennis pros, it means soooo much to all of us you cant imagine :)

My question is:
All the chinese player are playing sticky rubbers on their forehand and not "normal" grippy rubbers like you or Tenergys. Do you see any eyplanation for that? Do you think the make more spin or did you recognize anything different from european players to chinese players?

Kristian Karlsson
02-21-2014, 07:18 PM
Hey Kristian Karlsson, its sooooooooo nice to talk to real table tennis pros, it means soooo much to all of us you cant imagine :)

My question is:
All the chinese player are playing sticky rubbers on their forehand and not "normal" grippy rubbers like you or Tenergys. Do you see any eyplanation for that? Do you think the make more spin or did you recognize anything different from european players to chinese players?

Haha the pleasure is mine!

Yeah basicly all the Chinese players use Hurricane on forehand. The main reason for this is that they grow up with that sort of rubber on forehand. It's in the chinese culture you could say. This rubber (i played with it when I was 14-15 to improve my forehand technique) is really hard to play with since it requires such a good technique to play with. If allthough you master it i think it can take your level just a little tiny tiny tiny bit higher. But that requires alot alot alot of practice with it and since european players arn't brought up with it I don't think it's worth it for us.

Best Regards
Kristian

Butt Stallion
02-22-2014, 02:04 AM
thank you very very much for your answer. So would you recommend to play this rubber maybe for 1 or 2 months to improve your forehand and then change to your normal rubber? Like having a special training month where you almost practise everyday multiball and stuff to improve yourself but playing seriously with your normal rubbers? My niveau is almost 3. league of germany. thanks a lot :)

Pongfinity
02-22-2014, 12:17 PM
thank you very very much for your answer. So would you recommend to play this rubber maybe for 1 or 2 months to improve your forehand and then change to your normal rubber? Like having a special training month where you almost practise everyday multiball and stuff to improve yourself but playing seriously with your normal rubbers? My niveau is almost 3. league of germany. thanks a lot :)

I also tried this Hurricane rubber (same quality as the Chinese national team is using). Just as Kristian said, it is very different than for example Tenergy and it's a lot different to play with it. It felt like I didn't get as fast strokes as usually and it kinda required a slightly different technique to get your strokes well played. I was very eager to try the rubber because I wanted to try the Chinese players material, but I didn't play long with it just because it was a lot different to what I was used to. If you however get used to the rubber you can basically do anything with it just like the Chinese players.. it's surely a lot better for flicks and half long top spins because it is quite sticky

Pongfinity
02-22-2014, 12:31 PM
Hey Kristian, awesome to have you answering people's questions here. Very nice that a pro player uses time to give proper answers here on TTD :)

I actually remember playing against your brother Mattias a few years ago in Safir International :P That match was bad playing from me but of course, Mattias was way better :D Do you still practise a lot with your brother and did you self at some point try pimple-rubbers on one side like Mattias has (at least had). Short pimple on forehand and "normal" rubber on backhand is quite unusual style to play with. Did you also think or try playing with this style at some point?

Kristian Karlsson
02-22-2014, 02:33 PM
I trained with it a couple of months just because my forehand technique was so bad, and as I said with bad technique you cannot play with this sticky rubbers
So if your technique is fine then i wouldn't recommend it, allthough it is up to you :)
Take care
Kristian :)

Kristian Karlsson
02-22-2014, 02:35 PM
Hey Kristian, awesome to have you answering people's questions here. Very nice that a pro player uses time to give proper answers here on TTD :)

I actually remember playing against your brother Mattias a few years ago in Safir International :P That match was bad playing from me but of course, Mattias was way better :D Do you still practise a lot with your brother and did you self at some point try pimple-rubbers on one side like Mattias has (at least had). Short pimple on forehand and "normal" rubber on backhand is quite unusual style to play with. Did you also think or try playing with this style at some point?

Haha ok first of all, he is actually NOT my brother, we are not even related :D Karlsson is a really common name in Sweden but people say we kinda look alike aswell. So you're not the first one nor the last one with that assumption ;). I practice alot with Mattias since we're in the same training group in Sweden (Halmstad)I've never tried playing with Pimples.

Take care thanks for the support!
Kristian

Pongfinity
02-22-2014, 04:14 PM
Haha ok first of all, he is actually NOT my brother, we are not even related :D Karlsson is a really common name in Sweden but people say we kinda look alike aswell. So you're not the first one nor the last one with that assumption ;). I practice alot with Mattias since we're in the same training group in Sweden (Halmstad)I've never tried playing with Pimples.

Take care thanks for the support!
Kristian

Ahh haha my bad for confusing you two :D Sorry lol :D But yeh it's true you guys look kinda alike and have the same surname (even though it's probably one of the most common surnames in Sweden) and don't you guys play quite much doubles together too (international tournaments too) :D All those things makes it easy to confuse you two :p

Sorry again, funny that I confused this lol

Kristian Karlsson
02-22-2014, 07:12 PM
Ahh haha my bad for confusing you two :D Sorry lol :D But yeh it's true you guys look kinda alike and have the same surname (even though it's probably one of the most common surnames in Sweden) and don't you guys play quite much doubles together too (international tournaments too) :D All those things makes it easy to confuse you two :p

Sorry again, funny that I confused this lol

Haha don't worry about it !

jeycop
02-22-2014, 07:53 PM
Your biggest table tenis victory ever?

Kristian Karlsson
02-23-2014, 01:06 AM
Your biggest table tenis victory ever?
In terms of a tournament victory it's probably when i Won u21 World Tour Korea 2012 or Top 12 in Sweden.
Take care!
Kristian

Dan
03-02-2014, 03:58 PM
Congratulations winning the Swedish National Championships today Kristian! Fantastic work!

Kristian Karlsson
03-02-2014, 10:18 PM
Congratulations winning the Swedish National Championships today Kristian! Fantastic work!

Thanks Alot Dan!!!

craniumburn
03-03-2014, 10:24 PM
Congratulations kristian!

Sent from my MyPhone A919i Duo using Tapatalk

luqketti
05-02-2014, 08:25 PM
kristian i just watched your match against gao ning in WTCC 2014, man you so had him and he got lucky!!!!, exceleeent match! BTW that backhand that you have, are you kidding me ? its soooo top class! The best of lucks im sure ill keep watching you doing better and better! :)

mahomedy13
05-02-2014, 10:19 PM
Are you going to change your setup anytime soon?If so,to what?

What would you recommend for players learning the basics?

Thanks

jeycop
05-03-2014, 06:12 AM
You have by far the best backhand in the swedish national team, so my question is, do you just have an extra talented backhand or have you been practising it more than for example Jens?

krro
05-05-2014, 11:40 PM
Hi Kristian!
Have you tried Stigas new rubber Airoc? If so what is your thoughts about it?

jeycop
06-15-2014, 06:12 PM
How was it to play against Xu Xin? :)

luqketti
08-29-2014, 06:34 PM
Just watched the game with samsonov in czech open 2014, and damn your backhand is even better now, vladi didnt know what to do man! Congratz!

Ownage Table Tennis
08-29-2014, 07:01 PM
Hi Kristian,
Do you reccomend Hurricane and Tenergy with Hurricane Long 3 blade for my setup?
I am a offensive type player
thanks
BEST OF LUCK IN YOUR TOURMENTS!:D

rajd1234
08-30-2014, 07:46 AM
Hi kristian,
You have showed excellent backhand blocking skills against samsonov...i wish to learn from you more thru the videos. Keep playing and insipre us.

anchorschmidt
08-30-2014, 09:58 AM
Ahh, as a player who also has problems with forehand (though I'm sure that your Forehand was 100000 times better than mine even when you say that it was bad earlier) ,my main problem is that I have developed a bad habit of changing the grip to a more "serve like" grip while going in for the short game because my wrist is more free but it causes serious problems when I have to quickly do a FH topspin as my grip won't be proper at all. Most of my points are lost because of this. I'm trying to change this but it seems so difficult. I'm using very forgiving rubbers (Mark V) so should I change to something stricter like Hurricane. Honestly, my forehand is less than half as skilled as the other aspects of my game and it is costing me dearly.

Or do you have any tips that can help me when I am practicing?

garbol
08-30-2014, 12:06 PM
hello Kristian
i was shocked when i saw your beckhand in a game vs samsonov
anyway for me, your playstyle looks quite similar as chineese (full straight arm fh stroke)

how your normal training looks like?

anchorschmidt
08-30-2014, 12:22 PM
Just saw the video of You vs Samsonov, just wow. Some of those counters were truly amazing. Hope to see you competing in the WTTC in the future!

dorian.mori
08-30-2014, 01:56 PM
Hi Kristian, I saw your match against Samsonov on youtube yesterday , and let me tell I was amazed by your level of playing.I had never seen you playing before and from now and on you are my favourite european player.I think if you mantain this level you could be on the top 10 very soon , what do you think?

Dan
08-30-2014, 10:42 PM
Amazing play Kristian! Your backhand is superb! Looking forward to watching you in the rest of fhe season!

KM1976
08-31-2014, 12:15 PM
Hello Kristian, being a left handed player I want to ask you what is your normal serve and open strategy against a right handed player and also against a left handed player. I mean where will serve and where should you open the third ball.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 925 using Tapatalk

TTHopeful
09-02-2014, 06:22 PM
Hi Kristian, well done against Samsonov! Congrats!

Did you go into the game believing you could win?

How did you find the plastic ball at the world tour? Are you happy with it? Did any players backstage complain about the new plastic ball?

Kristian Karlsson
09-02-2014, 06:54 PM
You have by far the best backhand in the swedish national team, so my question is, do you just have an extra talented backhand or have you been practising it more than for example Jens?

Tricky Question, i'd say i've put more emphasis on it then many other players yet, but that was because my backhand was a big flaw in my game when I was a youngster. So i decided to work on my flaw and evantually it became a weapon. Other players maybe tries to design their game to avoid their flaws. That's My guess :)

Kristian Karlsson
09-02-2014, 06:55 PM
Hi Kristian!
Have you tried Stigas new rubber Airoc? If so what is your thoughts about it?

Hi Yeah i've tried it and it didnt fit my playstyle :)

Kristian Karlsson
09-02-2014, 06:55 PM
Just watched the game with samsonov in czech open 2014, and damn your backhand is even better now, vladi didnt know what to do man! Congratz! Thanks alot man!

Kristian Karlsson
09-02-2014, 06:56 PM
Hi Kristian,
Do you reccomend Hurricane and Tenergy with Hurricane Long 3 blade for my setup?
I am a offensive type player
thanks
BEST OF LUCK IN YOUR TOURMENTS!:D

Sounds like a great setup for an offensive player!
Take care!

Kristian Karlsson
09-02-2014, 06:57 PM
Hi kristian,
You have showed excellent backhand blocking skills against samsonov...i wish to learn from you more thru the videos. Keep playing and insipre us.
Thanks alot for the support <3

Kristian Karlsson
09-02-2014, 06:58 PM
Ahh, as a player who also has problems with forehand (though I'm sure that your Forehand was 100000 times better than mine even when you say that it was bad earlier) ,my main problem is that I have developed a bad habit of changing the grip to a more "serve like" grip while going in for the short game because my wrist is more free but it causes serious problems when I have to quickly do a FH topspin as my grip won't be proper at all. Most of my points are lost because of this. I'm trying to change this but it seems so difficult. I'm using very forgiving rubbers (Mark V) so should I change to something stricter like Hurricane. Honestly, my forehand is less than half as skilled as the other aspects of my game and it is costing me dearly.

Or do you have any tips that can help me when I am practicing?

I change my grip slightly when i change from FH to BH and most players do. If you want to improve your Forehand i can only give you one advice im afraid, Prac
tice. If you trust your racket then it'll reward you for doing so :)

Kristian Karlsson
09-02-2014, 07:35 PM
Just saw the video of You vs Samsonov, just wow. Some of those counters were truly amazing. Hope to see you competing in the WTTC in the future!

Thanks alot!!

Kristian Karlsson
09-02-2014, 07:36 PM
Hi Kristian, I saw your match against Samsonov on youtube yesterday , and let me tell I was amazed by your level of playing.I had never seen you playing before and from now and on you are my favourite european player.I think if you mantain this level you could be on the top 10 very soon , what do you think?

Hmm top 10 very soon might be abit optimistic :D But that's my long term goal so i aim for that!
Thanks alot!!

Kristian Karlsson
09-02-2014, 07:36 PM
Amazing play Kristian! Your backhand is superb! Looking forward to watching you in the rest of fhe season!
Thanks Dan!

Kristian Karlsson
09-02-2014, 07:37 PM
Hello Kristian, being a left handed player I want to ask you what is your normal serve and open strategy against a right handed player and also against a left handed player. I mean where will serve and where should you open the third ball.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 925 using Tapatalk

Service and tactic depends on your strenghts and weaknesses, try to make your tactic work the way so you can utilize your weapons at the fullest!

Kristian Karlsson
09-02-2014, 07:39 PM
Hi Kristian, well done against Samsonov! Congrats!

Did you go into the game believing you could win?

How did you find the plastic ball at the world tour? Are you happy with it? Did any players backstage complain about the new plastic ball?

I've played close with him before so ofcourse i belived that i could win, i alse knew that it was going to be a difficult match because you know... it's samsonov on the other side of the table :) The plastic ball is actually quite similar to the old one, i didnt hear too much complains during the first world tour atleast :) Thanks for the support!

Butt Stallion
09-02-2014, 09:27 PM
hey Kristian, I saw two matches of you against Ma Long and Xu Xin. You are playing a lot against european players too and you perform very well. What do you think is the biggest difference between chinese players in the super league and european players like you? We have to think about that people who never appear in international tournaments beet Ovtcharov and Timo Boll, what do you think about this?

Thanks man youre very kind ;)

Ownage Table Tennis
09-03-2014, 04:47 AM
Hey Kristian, do you pros tune your rubbers?
If you do what tuner do you use.

Good Luck!

tabletennisuk
09-03-2014, 06:59 AM
Hi Kristian, I know every opponent is different... but as a fellow lefty, what would you say is your most effective serve to a left hander and a right hander at key times in games...?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iammaru
09-03-2014, 06:40 PM
Hello Kristian, it's so nice to have you here.
I really like your style. How did you develop it? I mean you decided and developed the style yourself or you had a coach who did that? Or you mimic the style from an idol? I'm curious since your game doesn't look like other Europeans' game...
Do you have any significant weaknesses in your game? Or some specific areas of your game that you are working on to improve?

Amayzde
09-03-2014, 07:33 PM
Hi Kristan!

Welcome to the Forum. I saw ur performance against Samsonov last week. It looked like he had no chance. Youve got a very nice Backhand!

I was just Curious about what rubbers you are using at the moment. I believe you are using A Clipper CR with Calibra LT on both sides. Is that right?

jeycop
09-05-2014, 03:38 PM
You are stiga sponsored, so do you choose to play with stiga rubbers or do you really have no choice, i mean that stiga doesn´t let you play with for example butterfly?

rajd1234
09-05-2014, 05:27 PM
You are stiga sponsored, so do you choose to play with stiga rubbers or do you really have no choice, i mean that stiga doesn´t let you play with for example butterfly?
I dont think there is any restriction...imo Ma Long is DHS sponsored...but he uses T05 on BH. Similarly ZJK having a butterfly sponsor uses DHS H3N on FH...neways Kristian can provide a better answer.

joberianus11
09-23-2014, 03:16 PM
Hello Kristian! What kind of racket can you recommend for newbie players like me whose style of play is all around (offensive/defensive). Can you sight some brand or specification of the rubber and blade? Thanks in advance.

Amayzde
09-23-2014, 07:54 PM
I dont think there is any restriction...imo Ma Long is DHS sponsored...but he uses T05 on BH. Similarly ZJK having a butterfly sponsor uses DHS H3N on FH...neways Kristian can provide a better answer.

Chinese players always get DHS Hurricane or Skyline for forehand and some Tenergy on the backhand. But they do use blades of their sponsor. Ma Long uses a custom made DHS blade. Zhang Jike uses a custom made Viscaria. And Xu Xin uses a Intensity NCT. However, Fan Zhendong is using a Viscaria with Infinity handle.

krro
12-30-2014, 10:04 AM
Kristian do you use a normal clipper wood blade, clipper cr or clipper cc?

Anyone else maybe know?

Giangt
03-02-2015, 09:08 PM
....Congratulation with your second Swedish championship :)
I saw on the video that your countryman Jens Lundquist is playing with the new Carbonado 145. Have you also change your equipment or are you firm with your current setup with the plastic ball?

TTHopeful
03-03-2015, 11:47 PM
Congratulations Kristian! We hope you come back on TTD soon.

Flash Gordon
03-04-2015, 09:15 AM
congratulations kristian to a great performance and to become swedish champion for 2nd time. i see you have stiga as equipment sponsor, have you never tried tenergy rubber? if you have tried it what was you opinion about it?

Kristian Karlsson
03-05-2015, 01:59 PM
hey Kristian, I saw two matches of you against Ma Long and Xu Xin. You are playing a lot against european players too and you perform very well. What do you think is the biggest difference between chinese players in the super league and european players like you? We have to think about that people who never appear in international tournaments beet Ovtcharov and Timo Boll, what do you think about this?

Thanks man youre very kind ;)

Well I think at the current state of table tennis it's really difficult to compare the rest of the world with China, just because that as you pointed out there are players who will never compete internationally and yet beats the rest of the worlds greatest players. So i tend not to think about that fact too much since that's just depressing :)

Kristian Karlsson
03-05-2015, 02:00 PM
Hey Kristian, do you pros tune your rubbers?
If you do what tuner do you use.

Good Luck!

Well tuning is illegal but since the machines the ITTF is currently using is unable to detect this makes every pro player use tuning since if you don't you go at a disadvantage towards the other players. I use STIGA's tuner. Take care!

Kristian Karlsson
03-05-2015, 02:03 PM
Hi Kristian, I know every opponent is different... but as a fellow lefty, what would you say is your most effective serve to a left hander and a right hander at key times in games...?

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

When it comes to left handers and a tight spot i'd suggest a no spin / downspin service straight short in their forehand As for the right handers a long service in their backhand and then step out one step from the table and just crush them with the next shot !

Kristian Karlsson
03-05-2015, 02:03 PM
Hello Kristian, it's so nice to have you here.
I really like your style. How did you develop it? I mean you decided and developed the style yourself or you had a coach who did that? Or you mimic the style from an idol? I'm curious since your game doesn't look like other Europeans' game...
Do you have any significant weaknesses in your game? Or some specific areas of your game that you are working on to improve?

Glad that you enjoy my style! I think it's mostly selfdeveloped, well ofcourse every coach i've had has taken his or her part in it but i've never sat down with a coach and trying to figure out what kind of playstyle i'd like to have. Im still working on my forehand recives which i think is my biggest weakness in the current state !

Kristian Karlsson
03-05-2015, 02:04 PM
Hi Kristan!

Welcome to the Forum. I saw ur performance against Samsonov last week. It looked like he had no chance. Youve got a very nice Backhand!

I was just Curious about what rubbers you are using at the moment. I believe you are using A Clipper CR with Calibra LT on both sides. Is that right?

You are completely correct about my setup dear friend! Thanks for the support!

Kristian Karlsson
03-05-2015, 02:05 PM

It's in my contract that i have to use STIGA's rubber and blade, And i'd have it no other way. I feel really comfortable with my current materials!

Kristian Karlsson
03-05-2015, 02:05 PM
Hello Kristian! What kind of racket can you recommend for newbie players like me whose style of play is all around (offensive/defensive). Can you sight some brand or specification of the rubber and blade? Thanks in advance.

Hmm difficult question, just give something a go and don't focus too much on the blades and rubbers, just enjoy the game and try too improve, the blades and rackets will become more importanly when you feel safe with your game

Kristian Karlsson
03-05-2015, 02:06 PM
Kristian do you use a normal clipper wood blade, clipper cr or clipper cc?

Anyone else maybe know?

I use Clipper CR for my blade! Regards!

Kristian Karlsson
03-05-2015, 02:06 PM
Congratulation with your second Swedish championship :)
I saw on the video that your countryman Jens Lundquist is playing with the new Carbonado 145. Have you also change your equipment or are you firm with your current setup with the plastic ball?

Thanks alot! Yes indeed he is, me on the otherhand is still running the CLipper CR and Calibra LT for my setup! Take care!

Kristian Karlsson
03-05-2015, 02:07 PM
congratulations kristian to a great performance and to become swedish champion for 2nd time. i see you have stiga as equipment sponsor, have you never tried tenergy rubber? if you have tried it what was you opinion about it?

Thanks alot! I've tried tenergy for a week about a,5 years ago. I felt that it was stronger in some balls (rally points and receives) but Calibra worked better on downspin and services. Thanks for the support!!

Kristian Karlsson
03-05-2015, 02:07 PM
Thanks for your continued support players, I will do my best to respond to your questions. Thank you!!

Argothman
03-05-2015, 09:20 PM
Kristian, I would just like to thank you for your work here! I have a lot of respect for someone who takes time out of their day to answer our questions.

Spitfire
03-05-2015, 10:33 PM
Are you still using Calibra 2.0MM with the new poly ball ?

Do you feel there is any difference between the Celluloid Ball and the poly one? If so what?

Was this years Swedish nationals final when you played Jens played with the Poly Ball?

Outerveneer
03-07-2015, 10:46 PM
Congratulation to the gold in the Swedish championship Kristian!

Which poly ball is the best you have tried?

And which blade do you prefer between the Carbonado 145 and the Carbonado 190? :)

Guybrush123
03-07-2015, 11:21 PM
Well tuning is illegal but since the machines the ITTF is currently using is unable to detect this makes every pro player use tuning since if you don't you go at a disadvantage towards the other players. I use STIGA's tuner. Take care!

Mycket bra svar Kristian! / Very good answer Kristian.

Argothman
03-08-2015, 05:41 PM
Kristian, do you have any pro technique tips for us amateurs?

raazzz
03-12-2015, 08:18 PM
Hi Kristian!
Do you remember any specific advice you have been given by some coach or trainer that really have made a big impact on your carrier?

Killerspintt
03-12-2015, 09:57 PM
Hello Kristian !!
I am lucky enough to have seen you playing for Cergy-Pontoise a lot of times !!! I Love your playstyle and I'm a Cergy-Pontoise fan when it comes to table tennis (have studied two years in that town).

I just wanna ask you what are your objectives for the next 2-3 years ?
And thank you for being honest about the tuners/boosters, every pro A players are using it in France and every pro are using it, even at not-pro level like National 1, National 2 or National 3 (French leagues under the two pro leagues called Pro A and Pro B), the usage of tuner/booster is MASSIVE and we all know it.

Looking forward to see you play again Kristian, as a left hander myself you are one of my inspiration sources !!!!

And an other question : have you learnt to speak french ? :D

StehTischtennis
02-08-2019, 09:13 PM
Any more questions for Kristian out there? I can ask him some questions tomorrow morning in Düsseldorf.

Shifu
02-08-2019, 09:17 PM
He started playing with Chinese rubbers as a kid as far as I know. What does he think about the main difference between pro equipment of the Chinese and the Europeans and in general the difference between the 2

StehTischtennis
02-09-2019, 11:52 AM
Well, I'd either misheard or they misspoke, but Kristian Karlson wasn't here, but Anton Karlberg :rolleyes:

I've got some I interesting answers about the new Diginic rubber he's playing on the forehand(!), harder and softer version and that he switched his blade from Viscaria to the Apollonia. I'll probably upload the video tomorrow.

I have 2 balls
02-09-2019, 01:31 PM
Hello Kristian. May I know what would be your tactics if you are against a very fast player like Ito who just smashes every ball back like a machine gun?

FruitLoop
02-09-2019, 05:35 PM
Well, I'd either misheard or they misspoke, but Kristian Karlson wasn't here, but Anton Karlberg :rolleyes:

I've got some I interesting answers about the new Diginic rubber he's playing on the forehand(!), harder and softer version and that he switched his blade from Viscaria to the Apollonia. I'll probably upload the video tomorrow.

So he still playing T05 on BH?