Best smash rubber

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2014
Hey guys just wanted to know what you all thought about the best smash rubber for the FH. I was thinking of tenergy 64 because then I could get some more spin vs how bryce speed doesn't have much spin but let me know what you think

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Hmmm. You want a smash with a lot of spin. That is more of a loop kill shot than a smash. That is more a function of Blade + Rubber.

Usually, the linear low throw rubbers (like Bryce) are great. For modern era, Calibra LT plus is your sex bomb.

For a good loop kill, your favorite rubber is best... because landing that shot (with a high percentage) is more important.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2014
I was think of putting it on a DHS power G7 would that make a difference

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2014
Dang the Calibra LT plus looks like a nice rubber has anyone used it before

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
In the past, hitters (who used inverted rubbers) liked to use fast OFF low throw rubbers like Hammond, Bryce, Ekrips (off the bounce counters), and similar low throw rubbers on a fast, stiff OFF to OFF+ blade. They would like to serve a mix of cut and no-spin, get opponent to slightly mis-read it, look for 2 cm difference of return, and pounce upon it with a smash. If they couldn't smash, they would hit a medium speed safe drive to an uncomfortable location and make a fast drive to drive rally to win the point, keeping up the pressure by staying at the table and taking everything off the bounce with a solid, forward swing that robbed opponents of time. You try to make a very spinny, fast loop... you were shooting yourself in the foot vs that kind of player. They were (and still are) so good at striking that fast loop right off the bounce with their low throw rubber than made it easier to do that shot... You were playing right into their hands. They could make that shot 9 out of 10 times and not every one can make a quality fast loop from an awkward position 9 of 10 times... so you see who has an advantage in that kind of rally.

So it would be obvious that a really solid OFF or OFF+ blade with such a low throw rubber and enough practice makes such a playing style a tough one to defeat (if you are brain dead and keep giving the hitter those kind of balls or get into those kind of rallies you will likely not win)

That playing style can get a player to a decent level, but it isn't a fun playing style for me. I like to spin the ball and be a little more dynamic than that. Still, it is a good example of how simplifying your tactics and playing smart can win you points and matches.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
We see this all the time in our sport of TT. We believe deep down that a true TT warrior wins his or her points from offensive topspinning overwhelming firepower or from good use of varied topspin.

When we see a player who doesn't even TRY to loop the ball we instantly have a negative opinion of the player or playing style.

When we play vs that player, we expect to win hands down (assuming similar playing level). When we try to impose our will, which is really playing right into their strengths, and see this kind of player wins points WITHOUT macho topspins and simply quickly hits through everything off the bounce without a lot of spin... it can downright piss you off. Well, that is how it can go if you fail to realize how opponents want you to play and fail to have the flexibility in your game to adjust.

I cannot tell you how many times an OFF topspin player faces such an equal or even lower level opponent such as this and gets defeated by failing to see what is going on and using different tactics, different shots, and construct the points differently. The anger and frustration builds and builds, then explodes, and player thinks there is no hope to win. That shouldn't be the realization as there are always more ways to set up points instead of keep using what isn't working.

Yet, a not so spinny low throw rubber is great for this style of player on a fast blade like Gergely or Schager Carbon, etc. The rubbers we mentioned are great for this style.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2016
I have this question, I use backhand smashes alot it comes naturally, and I also change my rubbers alot, but only with certain rubbers i can do backhand smash, for example, i had good smashes with , Sriver EL and Tibhar Sinus , but for example with rubbers like Tibhar Aurus or DHS hurricane 3 I cant do it as good, its not fast and a killer any more.
so the question is, is it because of softness of rubbers ? weight ? cause aurus and hurricane are stiffer ...
and can you name some replacements ?

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Read 1 reviews
We see this all the time in our sport of TT. We believe deep down that a true TT warrior wins his or her points from offensive topspinning overwhelming firepower or from good use of varied topspin.

When we see a player who doesn't even TRY to loop the ball we instantly have a negative opinion of the player or playing style.

When we play vs that player, we expect to win hands down (assuming similar playing level). When we try to impose our will, which is really playing right into their strengths, and see this kind of player wins points WITHOUT macho topspins and simply quickly hits through everything off the bounce without a lot of spin... it can downright piss you off. Well, that is how it can go if you fail to realize how opponents want you to play and fail to have the flexibility in your game to adjust.

I cannot tell you how many times an OFF topspin player faces such an equal or even lower level opponent such as this and gets defeated by failing to see what is going on and using different tactics, different shots, and construct the points differently. The anger and frustration builds and builds, then explodes, and player thinks there is no hope to win. That shouldn't be the realization as there are always more ways to set up points instead of keep using what isn't working.

Yet, a not so spinny low throw rubber is great for this style of player on a fast blade like Gergely or Schager Carbon, etc. The rubbers we mentioned are great for this style.

I really like this post. Meet this kind of players all the time.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
I hate flat hitters, they are usually tough opponents. You have to be active, for example try to always give topspin to make the ball lower and more difficult to control. Counter-hitting is difficult. Simple blocks are often not effective against this style.

I used to be a flat hitter in my early TT years, and quite good at it. i played with Tibhar 4L and Mark V. Short pimples on FH (!!) is a good choice as well. Penholders hitters with short pimples are really annoying.

With my current equipment, i should not flat hit as much as i do now, because its easy to make a mistake, but i have some good remnants of my former style. Against a chopper, for example, if the ball is high but with backspin, normally the best approach 80% of times is to topspin it back calmly, but more often than not i will try to kill the ball.

What is important when i flat hit the ball, is that I open my wrist (thats the main little secret), take a good backswing, and if I'm not very well placed, i'll always smash straight, the error rate is less than trying to go for one side

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Read 1 reviews
With my current equipment, i should not flat hit as much as i do now, because its easy to make a mistake, but i have some good remnants of my former style.

Sometimes when I face these guys I start to play the game of close to the table counter driver, but now less and less. I actually kind of enjoy it.

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Picking equipment on the basis of how well it suits smashing seems really weird to me. It is not a shot that comes up all that often, at least relative to serve, return of serve, pushes, flicks, various FH and BH loops, and blocks and other defensive shots. If everything goes right I may finish off a point with a smash or a few of them, and of course you have to be able to do it, (and nothing pisses me off more than when I miss one). Mose often that is not how points end.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
Haven't read above posts. I like to put that out there incase I look ignorant to what was already said.

Best smash rubber is subjectional. Some rubbers make smashing easier, like high control rubbers, but they'll lack power and finishing the point may be harder to complete. For example, watch Ma Long play in 2014-2015. When they're off the table and he's hitting high balls, he'll turn his raquet around to use the tenergy side for his smash. He can't get that power with the high control chinese rubber and thus turns it around.

TLDR: Better quality with high speed rubbers (Tenergy, ESN Rubbers). More consistent and easy to smash with high control rubbers.

This user has no status.
Hard to answer. Best is subjective as always.

If You want no non sense loop kill only game, OK, You can try these, but,

I am sure more controllable and familiar combi are better than these.

Put one of these, max,

Gewo Flexxon
Donic Coppa X1 Turbo Platin
Nittaku Renanos Hold
Xiom Omega IV Pro
Haifu Shark II Soft

On one of these

Andro Treiber Z
JOOLA MC1
Xiom Ignito
Butterfly Zhang Jike Super ZLC
Galaxy Mercury Y-15

I wont ever try Them. My breath too short to sustain them.

Sent from my i5E using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2016
could some body answer ? i don't mean the high balls which are very easy to smash , i mean for example, to counter a loop with a backhand smash. tibhar sinus felt very good for this but its life is very short.

I have this question, I use backhand smashes alot it comes naturally, and I also change my rubbers alot, but only with certain rubbers i can do backhand smash, for example, i had good smashes with , Sriver EL and Tibhar Sinus , but for example with rubbers like Tibhar Aurus or DHS hurricane 3 I cant do it as good, its not fast and a killer any more.
so the question is, is it because of softness of rubbers ? weight ? cause aurus and hurricane are stiffer ...
and can you name some replacements ?