BH Rubber Suggestions (Penhold +)

Don

This user has no status.

Don

This user has no status.
Mar 2011
Hey guys i've been wanting to get new forehand and backhand rubbers for my penhold paddle (DHS Hurricane Hao). Currently I'm using Hurricane II on my forehand and Hurricane III on my backhand. After developing a consistent forehand and backhand, I've come to realize that my backhand flick is extremely hard to execute I think due to the tacky properties of hurricane rubbers. I've wanted to change my backhand rubber to something that will be easier to backhand flick spinny backspin serves.

In addition, I've also wanted to switch my forehand rubber to DHS Skyline TG NEO, I feel that this rubber will be better for smashing the balls as I feel that Hurricane rubbers are much better at looping the ball. I wanted a balance between speed and spin, so that is why I am opting for the skyline for my forehand.

Also other parameters for suggesting my new backhand rubber is that I want something that is not tacky and more european like. I've done some research and I've seen a good cheap alternative for european rubbers in the FOCUS SNIPE III. That is something that I am looking towards to buying and trying. I also watch a backhand rubber that is not going to be extremely expensive, as I am a poor college student, but my price range is about anything up to maybe $30 (maybe more if the rubber will be beneficial towards my game). I feel that getting the most expensive rubbers and blades in most cases does not give you a better game, but maybe a more spinny serve lol.

So yeah I'd appreciate any type of feedback/suggestions you may have for me as I am very eager to purchase a rubber that will allow me to backhand flick my opponents backspin serves.

Thank Again,

Don

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2014
Hi Don,

Having 2 hurricane or Chinese rubbers on your blade will make your setup very heavy (guess around 190+ grams). This may hamper your ability to do backhand flicks that you wanted.

My suggestion to you is to pair it with a lighter backhand rubber; since you are already used to H3 on your forehand. You can try mid range rubbers such as Xiom Vega Europe or Donic Desto F2. These are Tensor rubbers, non tacky and should be within your budget range.

Try to keep your setup between 170-180g if you do Reverse Penhold Backhand (RPB) play.

BTW: H3 and TG will need frequent speed gluing to make it soft enough to play. NEO will lose its properties after a week or so (it is vacuum packed for a reason). You still need to speed glue after that.

Hope this helps.

Don

This user has no status.

Don

This user has no status.
Mar 2011
i dont want to rely on speed glue for my forehand rubber, I was thinking of maybe getting the Hurricane 3 No.19 it's a softer hurricane rubber, I've played with hard rubbers all my life soft european rubbers aren't really my type of rubbers.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2013
Read 7 reviews
If you want to stay with Chinese rubbers then there are some European style DHS rubbers designed for BH, such as Tin Arc 3, Dipper 3 and TNT. One particular BH rubber I like is Sword Backhand 2. It is real cheap with red sponge but may be hard to find outside China.

Seeing Xu Xin just switched to H3 backhand, I am actually thinking of trying something tacky for RPB and see how it feels.

Reactions: Rajah*
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2013
If you want to stay with Chinese rubbers then there are some European style DHS rubbers designed for BH, such as Tin Arc 3, Dipper 3 and TNT. One particular BH rubber I like is Sword Backhand 2. It is real cheap with red sponge but may be hard to find outside China.

Seeing Xu Xin just switched to H3 backhand, I am actually thinking of trying something tacky for RPB and see how it feels.

You can actually feel the ball better, the gripping is dramatic but less bouncy so you better give it a good kick.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk