This user has no status.
Mar 2011
Read 1 reviews
Hey guys, i want to ask some questions.
As far as i know, there are three types of bat handle types :
-Straight (ST)
-Flair (FL)
-Anatomical (AN)

The time i bought my first custom blade (Tibhar Phantom X) and i saw the AN handle, i dont give a damn and take it right away. The first day of play and i found out that it is a bit unusual since im used to use the flaired handle, but now im used to it.

What is the actual difference between these grip types?
Do you like your current bat and how the handle affects your game?

ST
chris_straight4.jpg

FL
chris_flair4.jpg

AN
chris_anatomic4.jpg

Thx for your answers! :D

Last edited:

Tom

This user has no status.

Tom

This user has no status.
Oct 2010
Read 7 reviews
there are some differences but its more of a personal preference :)

Thats exactly right, there is no specific handle which is better or worse to be honest its all down to what each player feels comfortable with, so find the one that fits you best and stick with it. For me it AN just seems to fit my hand well and i have a comfortable grip :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
I love Flared. It's funny, when I hold a straight handle, I'm so used to FL, my brain thinks the ST handle is shaped so that it's sharper at the end, like an inverted FL.

Also, have you all ever seen those crooked handles? With like... a designated forehand side? Those.... were comfy. I dunno if they make 'em anymore.

says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
TeamJOOLA
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
I don't mind to be completely honest, I've constantly switched between straight and flared blades since I started playing and find it doesn't take me long to get used to them, haven't used AN blade before though. As long as they feel good. One bone I do have to pick with straight handles is sometimes if my hands are a bit sweaty I sometimes feel like I might let the bat slide and fly haha wit the flared there's something to stop that :p

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
I don't mind to be completely honest, I've constantly switched between straight and flared blades since I started playing and find it doesn't take me long to get used to them, haven't used AN blade before though. As long as they feel good. One bone I do have to pick with straight handles is sometimes if my hands are a bit sweaty I sometimes feel like I might let the bat slide and fly haha wit the flared there's something to stop that :p

same here :) but my haands an=rent that sweaty lol

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I like Anatomical and Flaired. I will be fine with a Straight handle but I don't really like them. I think, the flair gives you more room to use wrist in the serve but it is almost unnoticable and there are a few other wrist action things like a backhand banana where you really use the wrist and how you hold the handle to get extra motion that, with a flair you will get a tiny bit more movement of the face of the blade. My guess is that, if I played with a Straight for a while I would be fine with them. The last time I had a racket with a straight handle in my hand was in the 1970's or early 80's when I had no idea how to play.