Gluing technique or method?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2013
I own a Timo Boll ALC and has been playing with Tenergy64 on both FH and BH.
After the rubbers wear out in a year, I changed the rubber to new sheet of Tenergy64 again.

It seems that now the sound of bat is different and there are more vibration.

My previous Tenergy64
1. Less vibration
2. It sounds "DUK" when the ball hit. More solid sound.

My new Tenergy64
1. More vibration
2. It sounds "TOK" when the ball hit. More like cheap wood.

This experience has been with my other friends bat too. Now I am wondering if there is any different method during the gluing that causes such effect.

Can someone help?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2013
Yes both side feel and sound the same.

In my opinion, I think that during the gluing process, little thing such as:
1. compressing the rubber with a roller
2. the equality area of the glue
3. heat (some ppl like to use the hair blower to blow it)
4. ... etc...

could affect the overall result

What do you guys think?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
Hi,
seems like you have gluing issue.

1. What kind of glue did you use? WBG or VOC?
2. If WBG: how many layers of glue esp. on the rubber sponge? (at least 2 layers for tenergy)
3. Also WBG: must wait until each layer to be completely dry before applying next layer.
4. Avoid using roller esp. for tenergy series rubber.
5. After gluing done, put the blade under heavy books (rd. 1kg) overnight before playing.

PS: It's not recomended to use VOC glue with tenergy series rubber.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2013
Hi,
seems like you have gluing issue.

1. What kind of glue did you use? WBG or VOC?
2. If WBG: how many layers of glue esp. on the rubber sponge? (at least 2 layers for tenergy)
3. Also WBG: must wait until each layer to be completely dry before applying next layer.
4. Avoid using roller esp. for tenergy series rubber.
5. After gluing done, put the blade under heavy books (rd. 1kg) overnight before playing.

PS: It's not recomended to use VOC glue with tenergy series rubber.

Thanks for the advise. I tried, and it worked. I reglue both the bat and the rubber 2-3 times and it reduce the vibration. The sound of it is more solid too. Really a step up. Now I am thinking if I reglue them even more... like 5-6 times, I wonder if the result would be even better?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2013
Now, after playing for about a week, my rubber comes off. So, I re-glue it. This time, I put 3 layers.
And guess what... the vibration problem is back again.

Now I am really confuse. What is it that I did wrong?

1. Did uneven gluing causes the vibration?
2. Did I applied my glue too thick this time?
3. Is it because I didn't clean my rubber enough before I reglue? (I tried to use my finger to brush off the previous glue, but it seems there are almost nothing to rub off on the rubber.)
4. Did I didn't wait overnight after the regluing process?

Can someone enlighten me? The vibration has really affected my play and every stroke is really uncomfortable.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
Read 4 reviews
Water based glues that are non Chinese name brand are less elastic than the more pasty glues. Similar to JOOLA Xglue which is also watery I would imagine the Xiom glue needs at least 3 layers on the rubber and 1-2 on the blade. Normally if I have to use this rubber with Euro/Jap rubbers I always put 3-5 on the rubber and 1-2 on the blade.

For new blades one of my resident pros recommends putting glue on first and then letting it dry and then rubbing it off. Because during the drying process or packaging process the blades can pick up micro dust particles which sort of sit in the grain of the wood and then from environment changes humid to dry or vice versa the dust can stick to the blade. So the glue helps to remove most if not all of that dust.

Another important thing to mention is that you need to be sure you are spreading the glue evenly. Especially in water form many glues can spread out unevenly and cause some issues when hitting. In the case of Tenergy the spring sponge is also more porous so I definitely recommend more layers of glue to prevent issues with the ball slipping or sounding different.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
Now, after playing for about a week, my rubber comes off. So, I re-glue it. This time, I put 3 layers.
And guess what... the vibration problem is back again.

Now I am really confuse. What is it that I did wrong?

1. Did uneven gluing causes the vibration?
2. Did I applied my glue too thick this time?
3. Is it because I didn't clean my rubber enough before I reglue? (I tried to use my finger to brush off the previous glue, but it seems there are almost nothing to rub off on the rubber.)
4. Did I didn't wait overnight after the regluing process?

Can someone enlighten me? The vibration has really affected my play and every stroke is really uncomfortable.

Hi,
1. have you taken off the old residue completely from the rubber?
2. actually, for regluing, you don't need to take off the glue residue from the rubber.
just put 1 thick glue on the blade, but be sure to clean the blade properly.
3. Look at the glue is it still good; if you put one drop on your finger, does it still adhere properly?
Every WBG has its expiry day, max. 1 year after production date.
4. I have very good gluing result with these WBG: finezip, Rev. No III, Haifu WBG(need more layers, watery!).
And don't forget let evey glue layer dry completely before applying new layer, and avoid using roller.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2013
Hi,
1. have you taken off the old residue completely from the rubber?
2. actually, for regluing, you don't need to take off the glue residue from the rubber.
just put 1 thick glue on the blade, but be sure to clean the blade properly.
3. Look at the glue is it still good; if you put one drop on your finger, does it still adhere properly?
Every WBG has its expiry day, max. 1 year after production date.
4. I have very good gluing result with these WBG: finezip, Rev. No III, Haifu WBG(need more layers, watery!).
And don't forget let evey glue layer dry completely before applying new layer, and avoid using roller.

I DID TRIED to remove the old residue from the rubber, but because my previous glue application is too little (I suppose), there is almost "nothing" for me to remove. I rub it with my finger, there's almost nothing coming out.

You mentioned not to use roller. But should I compress it with heavy books after I attach the rubber and blade?

By the way, it took me about 1 hour just to rub off every little residue from the blade (both side) with my finger. Is there an easier way?

says http://www.cornilleau-competition.com/EN/index.html
Mar 2011
Read 8 reviews
What is this "put many layers on the rubbers and blade" talk? I just put on some glue, make sure it's spread out evenly on both rubber and blade and then put the rubbers carefully onto the blade, then I put pressure (sitting on it, or some books) on the racket. Then it's good to go and no problems have ever appeared :)

OFC some rubbers require more glue, and also I found that I have to use more glue on a new rubber than just a regluing.. But only one layer and boom it's fine :)

Layers of glue and all that is for speed gluing lol :p

Sorry for my arrogance, it's not that, it's just that I wanted to tell whats working for me :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
What is this "put many layers on the rubbers and blade" talk? I just put on some glue, make sure it's spread out evenly on both rubber and blade and then put the rubbers carefully onto the blade, then I put pressure (sitting on it, or some books) on the racket. Then it's good to go and no problems have ever appeared :)

OFC some rubbers require more glue, and also I found that I have to use more glue on a new rubber than just a regluing.. But only one layer and boom it's fine :)

Layers of glue and all that is for speed gluing lol :p

Sorry for my arrogance, it's not that, it's just that I wanted to tell whats working for me :)

Sorry,

but the OP asking for BUTTERFLY Tenergy, not that andro sh***!:p

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
I DID TRIED to remove the old residue from the rubber, but because my previous glue application is too little (I suppose), there is almost "nothing" for me to remove. I rub it with my finger, there's almost nothing coming out.

You mentioned not to use roller. But should I compress it with heavy books after I attach the rubber and blade?

By the way, it took me about 1 hour just to rub off every little residue from the blade (both side) with my finger. Is there an easier way?

Well, there are 2 diffrent ways of regluing.
1. Let the old residue, if the glue layers applied still too thin, you need only put the WBG on the blade as I've said before.
2. If you've taken off the glue residue on both(blade and rubber), then you should begin the gluing process like the 1st time gluing
(at least 2 layers of the rubber and 2 layers on the blade)

The reason why it's better not to use the roller is: the rubber will be streched every time you use the roller.
And since the rubber already factory tensioned, you have to be carefull. (otherwise the rubber shrinkage is too big!)
Putting heavier books overnight does not effect the rubber performance, since the pressure is comming from above.

If you having difficlties taking off the residue, than it's better to use this:
http://issuu.com/butterfly.tt/docs/blaetter-katalog-e_ov/41?e=4784838/6704414

Page 40.

Mar 2011
Read 8 reviews
Sorry,

but the OP asking for BUTTERFLY Tenergy, not that andro sh***!:p

Please, I have just started to use the so called shit.. Before I was a Tenergy lover, so you can eat your words ;)

But then again, my Andro rubbers are just as good as Tenergy, and in some areas even better in my opinion, just read my review on them if you wanna know more :)