China Players Confirmed For The 2014 WTTTC!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2013
According to Sohu news of March 6, 2014, the Chinese National Team (CNT) nominated the following players as men's and women's squad for 2014 Tokyo WTTTC.

Men
:
Wang Hao, Zhang Jike, Xu Xin, Ma Long, Fan Zhendong

chinateam2014.jpg

Women
:
Li Xiaoxia, Liu Shiwen, Ding Ning, Zhu Yuling, Chen Meng

However, Liu Guoliang and Kong Linghui stated that the named players are only CNT's initial registration, and depending on the result of the 35 days closed training in preparation for the event, the lists are subject to change.

Both LGL and KLH explained that the nominations have taken into consideration of the potential lineup for 2016 Rio Olympics, and they want to prepare the younger generation for big events.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
Read 3 reviews
We all knew who would be in the team, the only uncertainty was Wang Hao. I thought it would be either Wang hao or Yan An. He chose Wang hao due to the losses of Yan An against foreigners, he lost to Gao Ning in the Qatar open. If germany has to play against China, I wonder who will be left out of the team exept for for Wang Hao...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2013
We all knew who would be in the team, the only uncertainty was Wang Hao. I thought it would be either Wang hao or Yan An. He chose Wang hao due to the losses of Yan An against foreigners, he lost to Gao Ning in the Qatar open. If germany has to play against China, I wonder who will be left out of the team exept for for Wang Hao...

I'm not surprised by the men's choices. After all, other than Zhang Jike and Xu Xin who earned their rights by winning the first and second stage respectively, the other three made to the semi finals of the second stage, which attested to their ability.

But for women's side, it seems that Mu Zi who finished ahead of Chen Meng in both the first and the second stage deserves a place in the squad.

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Which men's team do you think will have a better chance against China? German, Japan, Korea?

Good question, I think all three have similar chances. Right now I would say Germany if Boll can find some form. I think they could put some pressure on China. Also Japan if Mizutani peaks he has a slight chance causing an upset which can put pressure on the China Team. Korea have some great performers and could well cause a threat.

But to be perfectly honest, China are just far to superior. You would need absolutely everything on ones side to defeat China.

Impossible is nothing :)

Reactions: Will Dexter

Dan

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews

I think also having Wang Hao from a coaching point of view brings older and perhaps wiser experience to the team. As @zjkfanforever has mentioned, this could change. So perhaps if Yan An is on top form during the closed training perhaps he will be selected? Time will tell.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
The men's team pretty much picked itself in terms of rankings and how the guys played during this season. The only question as many said before was would it be experience of Wang Hao or the youth of Yan An, who before the emergence of Fan Zhendong was considered by many as THE next big up and coming Chinese male. The selection was confirmed by the performance of these guys in the so called "trials". However you have to wonder what these "trials" are all about. Was it not to make team selection more transparent? I think the Female team selection turns the trials to a bit of a mockery. Mu Zi must wondering what she had to do to get selected. Don't get me wrong Chen Meng is amongst my favourite female players. She's got a great personality and performed well in the Pro Tour events. However whats the point of these trials if it seems the team is already picked? Money and publicity? Like the mens I'm sure many would have picked these 5 ladies to represent China if there werent trials.

On a side note, would have loved to see a couple of non chinese thrown into the trials to see how they would do? Looking at it from the outside it would seem that its more difficult to get to the final (or win) the trials than to get to the final of a worlds

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2012
Read 3 reviews
The men's team pretty much picked itself in terms of rankings and how the guys played during this season. The only question as many said before was would it be experience of Wang Hao or the youth of Yan An, who before the emergence of Fan Zhendong was considered by many as THE next big up and coming Chinese male. The selection was confirmed by the performance of these guys in the so called "trials". However you have to wonder what these "trials" are all about. Was it not to make team selection more transparent? I think the Female team selection turns the trials to a bit of a mockery. Mu Zi must wondering what she had to do to get selected. Don't get me wrong Chen Meng is amongst my favourite female players. She's got a great personality and performed well in the Pro Tour events. However whats the point of these trials if it seems the team is already picked? Money and publicity? Like the mens I'm sure many would have picked these 5 ladies to represent China if there werent trials.

On a side note, would have loved to see a couple of non chinese thrown into the trials to see how they would do? Looking at it from the outside it would seem that its more difficult to get to the final (or win) the trials than to get to the final of a worlds

Had this discussion with a table tennis friend/coach formerly on the Chinese national side, the selection process were stacked against Mu Zi who clearly deserves a spot. Overall she did much better than Chen Meng in both trials (and arguably even better than Zhu Yuling who had a very good first trial but missed a lot of match points in the second trial)...sure her ranking is not as high, no Tour titles but then what is the point of the trial if not select the best performers? Basically Mu Zi is already 25, LGL and KLH saying that they are preparing the younger generation for Rio 2016 can be interpreted as Mu Zi having no chance for Rio (when she would be either 27/28 years old). I really actually wish Liu Shiwen had lost the trial final even though she is one of my favourite female players. I have represented China in different sport before and I can say there is still a long way for transparency...

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Which men's team do you think will have a better chance against China? Germany, Japan, Korea?

To be honest... NONE of them really. The gulf is that large. Any of those teams might win a match or two but that would be the only consolation.

Maybe it will be a different deal in ten years when there is different regime and some time goes by along with other positive changes happening outside China.

says http://cinemagr.am/embed/148758536
Feb 2013
To be honest... NONE of them really. The gulf is that large. Any of those teams might win a match or two but that would be the only consolation.

Maybe it will be a different deal in ten years when there is different regime and some time goes by along with other positive changes happening outside China.

We can still hope that someone can make surprise, it's too boring when you know that china can't lose

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
We can still hope that someone can make surprise, it's too boring when you know that china can't lose

To beat China, they will need 3 points.
I don't see any player taking 2 points like Feng Tianwei did in the womens section.

If China does play bad, and the 2 main players loosing 1 match each, the 3rd Chinese player should have no problem winning against number 3 of the other countries.

Simply geting a 1-1 by match 3, and it will be a 2-1 to China or more likely 3-0 to China.
I don't think any team is stronger enough to come back from 1-2 down and beat China 3-2. The depth is not there.

Feb 2013
To beat China, they will need 3 points.
I don't see any player taking 2 points like Feng Tianwei did in the womens section.

If China does play bad, and the 2 main players loosing 1 match each, the 3rd Chinese player should have no problem winning against number 3 of the other countries.

Simply geting a 1-1 by match 3, and it will be a 2-1 to China or more likely 3-0 to China.
I don't think any team is stronger enough to come back from 1-2 down and beat China 3-2. The depth is not there.

Why did you have to write this? I didn't say that someone will have chance or anything like that, I just hope in something that's "imposible", so what.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Why did you have to write this? I didn't say that someone will have chance or anything like that, I just hope in something that's "imposible", so what.

Its all about planning and about what player takes out what player and preparing for that.
Its all about strategy before the match and then the match itself.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2012
While I don't support 100% with the way the trail is conducted, I do totally see LGL's reason behind all this.

LGL had made perfectly clear in the past (since whenever they started doing trials, cuz some time ago coaches were hand picking all players), that the trial gives opportunity to everyone to be selected rather than just coach's "stragetic" selections. However coaches also reserve the right to select a number of players. This is most likely from LGL's idea that everyone should aim for the win, as in you must be able to seize your opportunity when presented to you. Hu Limei has certainly done that.

In conclusion, the trials are for 2 spots in the team, anybody (including Mu Zi) who would have won will be granted a spot, but being second does not guarantee a reward. After all, Chen Meng and Zhu Yuling are the next big things in the years to come, regardless whether or not they deserved to be picked this time, I am sure the coaches had good reasons.

P.S. I think the point of having the trials is to give the chinese audience a show, backed by the fact that chinese team are so dominant that they can give 2 spots to any random person and still win the championship.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
While I don't support 100% with the way the trail is conducted, I do totally see LGL's reason behind all this.

LGL had made perfectly clear in the past (since whenever they started doing trials, cuz some time ago coaches were hand picking all players), that the trial gives opportunity to everyone to be selected rather than just coach's "stragetic" selections. However coaches also reserve the right to select a number of players. This is most likely from LGL's idea that everyone should aim for the win, as in you must be able to seize your opportunity when presented to you. Hu Limei has certainly done that.

In conclusion, the trials are for 2 spots in the team, anybody (including Mu Zi) who would have won will be granted a spot, but being second does not guarantee a reward. After all, Chen Meng and Zhu Yuling are the next big things in the years to come, regardless whether or not they deserved to be picked this time, I am sure the coaches had good reasons.

P.S. I think the point of having the trials is to give the chinese audience a show, backed by the fact that chinese team are so dominant that they can give 2 spots to any random person and still win the championship.

I think Hu Limei inclusion for Paris was a point made based on qualification criteria.
So many people thought Hu Limei may just end up "injured" and replaced with a A team player. But no, LGL is standing based on his principles, and you are right, the 7 that went to Paris are so strong.

With a team of 5, it is a bit more tricky. If one of the players - like LSW gets into bad form again (or for example), then there is really only 4 players Kong or Liu can use. Injury is another concern - since so many main members have some problems of late.
I don't think they can afford having a weaker 4th or 5th player. So this is a tough one.

But then again, it is only crucial from the QF or maybe only the SF onwards. So its really difficult for the coaches to pick the players and expect them to do well - again LSW loosing 2 was a clear example.

says http://www.cornilleau-competition.com/EN/index.html
says http://www.cornilleau-competition.com/EN/index.html
Mar 2011
Read 8 reviews

Rumor has it Yan An is injured.. Maybe that is the reason ;)