March World Rankings 2014

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2013
World Rankings March 2014 Review made by TableTennisDaily moderator @Steven

The ITTF has updated the rankings again! The new rankings were published on March 6, 2014.

--- Xu Xin back to World no.1! ---

Xu Xin takes back the top position from Ma Long.
Furthermore Fan Zhendong completes the top 3 this time. After passing Wang Hao last month, this time it's Zhang Jike who drops down one spot.

xu_xin_13_02_11_Large.jpg

Xu Xin - Back at the top of the world - Photo by: ITTF

Past month showed three big events: The DHS Europe Cup, and two major World Tours: the Kuwait Open and the Qatar Open.

mauricioval.jpg
liu_jia_08_02_14_Large.jpg

Marcos Freitas and Liu Jia - 2014 DHS Cup Winners - Photos by: ITTF

The DHS Europe Cup gathered a lot of interest because of the comeback of Michael Maze.
Maze passed through the group stage but awaited a big challenge; on the same side of his draw were Timo Boll and Dimitrij Ovtcharov, as well as the defender Panagiotis Gionis. Ovtcharov won a long battle (4-3) against Boll but Maze showed that he really was 'back' as he defeated both Gionis and Ovtcharov to book a place in the final. At the other side of the draw Marcos Freitas defeated Alexander Shibaev and Adrien Mattenet. Freitas continued his consistent gameplay in the final with a 4-0 championship victory.

Meanwhile in the women's tournament the top seeds also had their problems caused by one player. Both Li Jiao and Viktoria Pavlovich ended first in their groups but it was Liu Jia of Austria causing the upsets. Liu Jia already won the Hungarian Open a month earlier. Her quarter final match against Wu Jiaduo was the hardest; Liu Jia came back from 0-3 behind. After that she defeated both top seeds, Li Jiao and Pavlovich respectively to take the crown.

fan_zhendong_16_02_14_Large.jpg
zhu_yuling_16_02_14_Large.jpg

Fan Zhendong and Zhu Yuling - 2014 Kuwait Open Champions - Photos by: ITTF

Every year the top of world travels to the Middle-East to compete in two well-known World Tour events. The Kuwait Open is the first one of them.

China sent out a lot of their younger players to see how they would perform. One of them is Fan Zhendong, who has become top seed for the first time. Luckily others helped cleaning his path to the final. Chuang Chih-Yuan already lost in the round of 32 against Robert Gardos. Later Zhou Yu got rid of Jun Mizutani in the quarter finals. Wong Chun Ting fought well by defeating both Seiya Kishikawa and Kenta Matsudaira. In the end, the two top seeds proved their ranking: Fan Zhendong won the title by defeating Yan An in the final.

The top seeded women had no problems reaching the quarter finals but that's where it got interesting. Kasumi Ishikawa sealed a 4-3 victory by 16-14 in the deciding set against Wu Yang, a player who seldom loses against non-Chinese players. Chen Meng easily got rid of top seed Liu Shiwen in a 4-0 win. But in the end, it was Zhu Yuling who won her first ever World Tour event.

xu_xin_27_10_13_Large.jpg
hu_limei_23_02_14_Large.jpg

Xu Xin and Hu Limei - 2014 Qatar Open Winners - Photos by: ITTF

The second event of the "Middle-East-Tour" is the Qatar Open. Even more top players, including Ma Long and Xu Xin, gathered here to fight for the prize money.

This time Fan Zhendong already had his problems in the round of 32 where he was 0-3 behind against his previous doubles partner, Par Gerell. This match he could turn around and win 4-3, but his next match was fatal; a 3-4 loss against Cho Eon Rae. Meanwhile Ma Long had to give up because of an injury. His match against Masato Shiono had been exhausting. This meant Xu Xin was the only Chinese player left in the tournament, but did not experience any difficulties. After winning the Grand Finals in Dubai, Xu Xin added the Qatar Open to his list of championships by defeating Chuang Chih-Yuan in the final.

Where Kasumi Ishikawa had a great run in Kuwait, it was the opposite in Qatar. The no.2 seed lost her opening match against Katerina Penkakova of the Czech Republic. One round later it was departure for the no.1 seed Feng Tianwei as well, losing to Ng Wing Nam of Hongkong. The result was a battle between the lower ranked players. Doo Hoi Kem joined Ng Wing Nam in the semi finals which meant the chance of a Hongkong-only final, but Liu Jia again played very well and reached the final where she met Hu Limei of China. Long rallies were played, but Hu Limei was the most consistent player this time.

This month's notable changes
1 (2) Xu Xin
3 (4) Fan Zhendong
12 (16) Marcos Freitas
13 (18) Zhou Yu
14 (19) Gao Ning
23 (44) Cho Eon Rae
31 (43) Robert Gardos
33 (47) Patrick Franziska
44 (112) Wong Chun Ting
46 (73) Par Gerell
62 (101) Joao Monteiro

4 (7) Chen Meng
8 (10) Kasumi Ishikawa
9 (12) Seo Hyowon
11 (25) Liu Jia
16 (30) Hu Limei
24 (43) Doo Hoi Kem
31 (52) Ng Wing Nam
49 (69) Miu Hirano
62 (105) Park Seonghye
63 (115) Yoo Eunchong
90 (133) Saki Tashiro

Men's World Rankings
1 (2) XU Xin
2 (1) MA Long
3 (4) FAN Zhendong
4 (3) ZHANG Jike
5 (5) WANG Hao
6 (6) OVTCHAROV Dimitrij
7 (7) YAN An
8 (9) CHUANG Chih-Yuan

9 (8) BOLL Timo
10 (10) SAMSONOV Vladimir
11 (13) MIZUTANI Jun
12 (16) FREITAS Marcos
13 (18) ZHOU Yu
14 (19) GAO Ning
15 (15) NIWA Koki
16 (14) HAO Shuai

17 (17) MATSUDAIRA Kenta
18 (20) JOO Saehyuk
19 (23) KIM Minseok
20 (26) CHEN Chien-An
21 (21) TANG Peng
-- (22) CHEN Qi (inactive)
22 (28) CRISAN Adrian
23 (44) CHO Eonrae
24 (25) BAUM Patrick
25 (29) MAZE Michael
26 (24) STEGER Bastian
27 (35) SHIONO Masato
28 (34) GIONIS Panagiotis
29 (37) APOLONIA Tiago
30 (30) KISHIKAWA Seiya
31 (43) GARDOS Robert
32 (33) GACINA Andrej

Women's World Rankings
1 (1) LIU Shiwen
2 (2) DING Ning
3 (3) LI Xiaoxia
4 (7) CHEN Meng
5 (6) ZHU Yuling
6 (5) WU Yang
7 (4) FENG Tianwei
8 (10) ISHIKAWA Kasumi

9 (12) SEO Hyowon
10 (9) FUKUHARA Ai
11 (25) LIU Jia
-- (11) GUO Yue (inactive)
12 (16) LI Jiao
13 (17) PAVLOVICH Viktoria
14 (14) JIANG Huajun
14 (15) SHEN Yanfei
16 (30) HU Limei

In March: the Asian Cup and the German Open!

Discuss!

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
For FZD to reach number 1, there is a few factors - some of it is out of his reach.
IE:
- FZD need to win more world tours (not giving chance to others to get the winners point)
- FZD need other players to do poorly in world tours
- Calculations of points fallen away must also get taken into account - this is what is more attractive, as he didnt' have much point from 2 years ago.

It is all about points, so that is why the number 1 spot has been rotating so often of late.
We don't have a clear number 1 player who dominates compared to Ma Long's run and Wang Liqin's run.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2013
Zhou Yu reached #13. Fan Zhendong get into top 3 but it's more because less activity of Zhang Jike and Wang Hao.

Not sure he's not already stronger than Wang Hao...

And very soon, he will be the best. Less than one year in my opinion. I think that physically, he's already the best. His only real fault is his serve. Apart from that, he's perfect nearly in every sector of the game.

says bebakhshid.
says bebakhshid.
Jun 2012
Not sure he's not already stronger than Wang Hao...

And very soon, he will be the best. Less than one year in my opinion. I think that physically, he's already the best. His only real fault is his serve. Apart from that, he's perfect nearly in every sector of the game.
He has long way to be the best. Zhang Jike, Ma Long and Xu Xin are far better than him now. His problem is his performance. Its not stable. One time he beat Ma Long and another time he loss to someone out of top 50.
I think he needs more than 2 years to be the best.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2013
Consistency tenacity and composure
= maturity as a player, we players dont only rely on physical strength as we step on the battle ground.. mental strength play more as we out wit our opponent with skills.. look at zang jike ma long xu xin.. they know how to force their opponent to play their game in crucial times and yet we see the composure as they pound, as of now fan zhendong is still a lot way to go and learn the secrets.. his physical strength is already there .. he still need to work on the mental aspect

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I notice ITTF took off a lot of players off the list for both mens and womens
Inactive players gone basically

Many players now have they career highs lol, espeically many from 150 are now 100 or so.
Imagine that - don't compete, and you improve on rankings haha

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2013
To be honest. He only lost to Cho Enrae and and Marcos Freitas on the international circuit till now. So if that is not consistend I don't know what should be consistent. Just bare in mind that Ma long lost to Lee Sangsu and Koki Niwa last year. So in that regard FZD is already closing in on the top-players. Not to speak of ZJ, he is just consistent in the major events other than that he is totally inconsistent.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2013
Major events are important thats why they are called major and there we expect to see consistency, lol

Following your definition of being the best, Ma Long and Xu xin suck.

We will see in the next individual major event, but I really think that, by that time, he'll be the best. By far. He's technically impressive, physically perfect, and still improving very fast. For me, he could become the number one in a very few months.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2013
Following your definition of being the best, Ma Long and Xu xin suck.

We will see in the next individual major event, but I really think that, by that time, he'll be the best. By far. He's technically impressive, physically perfect, and still improving very fast. For me, he could become the number one in a very few months.

Ohhh did I mention something about definition of being the best and that ma long and xu xin suck? Did I... Or its just you jumping into conclusion...? Hehehe

says bebakhshid.
says bebakhshid.
Jun 2012
To be honest. He only lost to Cho Enrae and and Marcos Freitas on the international circuit till now. So if that is not consistend I don't know what should be consistent. Just bare in mind that Ma long lost to Lee Sangsu and Koki Niwa last year. So in that regard FZD is already closing in on the top-players. Not to speak of ZJ, he is just consistent in the major events other than that he is totally inconsistent.
I mean Fan Zhendong played fantastic against Ma Long and then terrible against Xu Xin in China trails for WTTTC. He is always like this.
But look at Ma Long. He lost no matches against foreigner in last year (he lost to Koki Niwa in 2012).
Also Zhang Jike. He is unbelievable stable in major events. He were in 5 major events and he reached the final of all them and only lost 1 match! This means stable to me.

Reactions: Rajah*
says bebakhshid.
says bebakhshid.
Jun 2012
I noticed, they took off a lot of players from the World Rankings.
That means Ryu wont compete in international events anymore? I mean, 34 years isnt sooo old.
Sadly, we will miss him in international events :(
For Chinese and most of Asian players 34 years age means they are very old but for European players not. Because Europeans usually trains less than Asian players so their body doesn't get old as fast as Asians.