Who do you think is the best table tennis player in the world right now?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
It is hard to say. I think Xu Xin and Ma Long always put their best effort in and try to win all the time. I think Zhang Jike is actually better than either of them because his short game is better. But I also think he does not want people to see him play to his full capacity until there is a bigger event that he really wants to win. Like in the first leg of the China Trials for this years WTTC, it was the first time Zhang Jike played for real since the WTTC in 2013 and he finished first only losing one match. But I don't know if that is all that respectable so, even though, in the big tournaments ZJK might win, Ma Long and Xu Xin show everything they have in every match, so in some ways they are better than him. As a result of all this, I would just say that those three are the best. And within 2 years, Fan Zhendong will be better than any of them.

Reactions: pong4lyfe
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2014
Read 6 reviews
I think that there are some players that always will beat others, and so it's hard to determine the best player. For example, if there are players A, B, and C, player A might be good against player B, and player B might be good against player C, but player C can beat A. Another similar scenario is that player A beats everyone and is the best, except player B can beat player A, and player B loses to most people. That is why this is hard to say.

Also, the best in the world is determined in different ways. Ma Long has great technical capabilities, but most of the harder opponents in big events beat him psychologically. Timo Boll has a great serve, but he is getting old and can't follow through.

Basically I'm saying that players can be determined and analyzed in many different ways, and that there is no "best player."

says bebakhshid.
says bebakhshid.
Jun 2012
I think that there are some players that always will beat others, and so it's hard to determine the best player. For example, if there are players A, B, and C, player A might be good against player B, and player B might be good against player C, but player C can beat A. Another similar scenario is that player A beats everyone and is the best, except player B can beat player A, and player B loses to most people. That is why this is hard to say.Also, the best in the world is determined in different ways. Ma Long has great technical capabilities, but most of the harder opponents in big events beat him psychologically. Timo Boll has a great serve, but he is getting old and can't follow through.Basically I'm saying that players can be determined and analyzed in many different ways, and that there is no "best player."
Yes, players can be analyzed in many different way but it doesn't mean that there is not a best players.The player that get ranked #1 in most of subjects is the best. And for me he is Zhang Jike.He is the best in every thing except of forehand.

says bebakhshid.
says bebakhshid.
Jun 2012
I just looked on the ittf page for him and do it was international, which is probably big. Sorry if I'm mistaken
OK, His loses to them was in world tours. This are not major events. Major events are WTTC, World Cup and Olympic Games.
Zhang Jike was in 5 major events. He reached the final all of them and won 4 of them! It means that he lost only one match at major events and that was in the Final.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2014
Read 6 reviews
Yes, and then he pulls his shirt off and really offends his opponent.

Ma Long could beat ZJK on any day if there is no pressure. It's all opinion.

Now, of course, every sport has a time where one player diminates. Even now in table tennis China dominates. But if there is no clear domination, it is very difficult to determine a best in the world.

says http://cinemagr.am/embed/148758536
says http://cinemagr.am/embed/148758536
Feb 2013
OK, His loses to them was in world tours. This are not major events. Major events are WTTC, World Cup and Olympic Games.
Zhang Jike was in 5 major events. He reached the final all of them and won 4 of them! It means that he lost only one match at major events and that was in the Final.

I would say Chinese National Games is also major event. He lost but yes some people say he was injured.
It's surely that he is strongest mentally, his backhand kick is wonderful, he has strongest legs, maybe even the best footwork. But I don't know why, Ma Long has something that makes people love him, his style looks beautiful, and he really tries to win everything he can, that's the reason why his head burns down in important matches. He is just too satiate of too much wins in less important matches.
Just my opinion.

Reactions: agold
says bebakhshid.
says bebakhshid.
Jun 2012
Yes, and then he pulls his shirt off and really offends his opponent.Ma Long could beat ZJK on any day if there is no pressure. It's all opinion.Now, of course, every sport has a time where one player diminates. Even now in table tennis China dominates. But if there is no clear domination, it is very difficult to determine a best in the world.
I see no once in pulling the shirt off. Also you can not say "Ma Long can beat Zhang Jike if there is no pressure" because there is no time without pressure unless they are playing for fun. And if they then the result is not important to any one.

says bebakhshid.
says bebakhshid.
Jun 2012
I would say Chinese National Games is also major event. He lost but yes some people say he was injured.It's surely that he is strongest mentally, his backhand kick is wonderful, he has strongest legs, maybe even the best footwork. But I don't know why, Ma Long has something that makes people love him, his style looks beautiful, and he really tries to win everything he can, that's the reason why his head burns down in important matches. He is just too satiate of too much wins in less important matches. Just my opinion.
Ma Long was great when he was 19-20. That time Zhang Jike was not as good as now. So people used to be the fan of Ma Long. After Zhang Jike rises almost no one change to be the fan of Zhang Jike. So Ma Long has more fans than Zhang Jike.The first time i saw Zhang Jike was at the final of 2010 WTTTC. Even Ma Long's form was great but i felt Zhang Jike is going to be something. I didn't felt wrong.

Reactions: pong4lyfe