Short pimpels players

This user has no status.
S

This user has no status.
I used to play short pimples in bh.
it's effective against non-professional players but I feel points are more fun, longer and more spectacular when playing with inverted.
my rivals seemed to have problems with dhs 651 :)

says http://www.facebook.com/video/?id=100002098293963
says http://www.facebook.com/video/?id=100002098293963
Sep 2011
Short pips has good effect in keeping the ball low and good for counter attack and back hand roll which will help in blocking too . If your back hand pips has sponge it is an advantage . You have to be care full when receiving fast counter serves which has topspin or side spin you have to be quick in receiving or you will net it or the ball will keep high .
You can slice the ball form behind and return the ball by defense and block it when your close to table on back hand side with proper angle of bat.

Reactions: sanavasaraja
This user has no status.
Yes I play with short pimples on my BH. I use Friendship R.I.T.C. 799. I think i play better without pimples, but the game is so much more interesting. I noticed that the stroke has to be alterred a little bit. No more big down upwards movement, the stroke is more horizontally. I have a slow sponge 1.8, but i will take a faster sponge next time. Blocking the ball is excellent when you are used to it. If you block passive the ball will go in the net lots of times. It's easier to make a little forwards motion and captapult the ball back. That's my favorite shot. I also like to playa loopy spin ball from a push ball to open the rally up. This is really hard for the opponent to read how much spin is in the ball (don't play it like a normal bh spinball you will play it over the table, shorten your stroke and play more horizontally). Most of the times when the oppenent tries to overspin they make a mistake. When they play the ball back with a block or chop you can hammer it down with the pimples.

I really love short pimples, because it creates the counter tabletennis play. What Shree said about fast service-returns, i don't have a problem with fast return i have problems with fast services with a little top-spin. It's hard to controll the ball without playing it to lang or to high. My other problem with short pimples is a hard smash. A soft stroke is not so difficult, but a long powerfull smash is a problem for me. I mostly hammer it straight and it will not drop down. I have to change my stroke i think to get that shot right.

says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
I had RITC short pips on my backhand and still use them sometimes but not for competitions. I had a coach from Yantai in China who is a chopper who trained as a junior with Sun Bei Bei and Li Xiaoxia so I can chop a ball quite nicely and even now in matches I will still chop sometimes even with my nimbus sound haha I also have a bat which is short both sides Spectol with more sponge

This user has no status.
1.8 seems very thick for a Short pips player. The Short pips players that I know use 1.2-1.5 which gives them much more control and also the ability to really have an all around game. 1.8 for pips seems really long and I think that takes away from the effect of lowing the angle of the return.

It's true it's thick, but pips are not always for defending. Short pips when used close to the table are for offensive play. The pips themselve give me control enough in the rally and the sponge gives me more speed in counterblocks. It also gives more speed in "semi" spinballs. The whole games gets faster actually,
Only what i said before i have some problems with returning a service that comes to me very fast and has some topspin. I have to find out how to play it back without looping it to high. Short services are no problem, what ever the effect maybe the pips give the controll to play it anywhere i want (or just block it short and the oppenent can/will not attack, the third ball is easy for attacking).

says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
Mar 2011
Yeah Rhonis, I have to agree with you on this. The reason is because there is this junior at my club who plays short pips on his BH. He's an offensive player and some guys have problems playing against him. Like you said, semi spin but loads of speed (though he can also produce heavy top spin). Kinda tricky coz normally we can just ride the spin by closing the face of the bat and get the ball across. With his semi spin shots, if we do that, the ball will go into the net.
Personally, I don't have much problem with it coz I played through Liu Guoliang era where virtually everyone that I know played with short pips out rubbers.

Reactions: sanavasaraja
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2011
I tried short pips last two weeks, because i have no good backhand (playing viscaria light und two plasma430 max). i played the spectol speed sponge max on my other viscaria light with a tenergy 05fx .. its funny and simple to play, but i dont really like it. i love the spectaculare game. topspin from everywhere ;) so i train backhand now :D

This user has no status.
Yeah Rhonis, I have to agree with you on this. The reason is because there is this junior at my club who plays short pips on his BH. He's an offensive player and some guys have problems playing against him. Like you said, semi spin but loads of speed (though he can also produce heavy top spin). Kinda tricky coz normally we can just ride the spin by closing the face of the bat and get the ball across. With his semi spin shots, if we do that, the ball will go into the net.
Personally, I don't have much problem with it coz I played through Liu Guoliang era where virtually everyone that I know played with short pips out rubbers.
Azlan, do you know what typ of short pips he has? I know you can produce lots of top spin, but for me it is difficult. I have problems with the timing i think. With inverted rubber the timing is important for the amount of spin, but mostly if you are a little of (not with ultra speed rubbers) the ball will still go on the table. With pips if the timing is a little bit of it will go for an home run :p. Or am i doing something else wrong (blade angle?).

And what you said about closing the face of the bat to get the ball across is true, my experience is also that players are scared for the balls coming from the pips. They don't use their best technique and try to lift the ball back more then ride it back (bit difficult to say in english :)). This makes the ball go up and ready for a killer stroke.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
Read 1 reviews
Classic shortpips (usually much less spin compared to inverted, not some spinny short pips) is best used @ 1.8mm max thickness.
The reason is it allows the rubber to bottom out (hit the blade) while hitting (smashing) and driving, hence increasing the overall effectiveness of the short pips in its truest form (max speed with little to no spin).
However users playing with spinny short pips (TSP Spinpips, 729 802-40) could use up to max thickness so that the ball could have better dwell time thus maximizing the spin capability of the short pips. The spin is still less compared to inverted tho, the hitting capability is also slightly reduced due to increased sensitivity to spin.

This user has no status.
Classic shortpips (usually much less spin compared to inverted, not some spinny short pips) is best used @ 1.8mm max thickness.
The reason is it allows the rubber to bottom out (hit the blade) while hitting (smashing) and driving, hence increasing the overall effectiveness of the short pips in its truest form (max speed with little to no spin).
However users playing with spinny short pips (TSP Spinpips, 729 802-40) could use up to max thickness so that the ball could have better dwell time thus maximizing the spin capability of the short pips. The spin is still less compared to inverted tho, the hitting capability is also slightly reduced due to increased sensitivity to spin.

Ok thanks for your explenation. So i should not take thicker sponge, but maybe change to a bit more spinny pip.

Mar 2011
Hi Rhonis, he uses short pips RITC 802-40 by 729Friendship. You can find it at :
http://www.megaspin.net/store/default.asp?pid=r-802-40

Here are some write up about it:

Great hitting rubber
Good spin for a pip
Produces good spin
Suitable for attacking players
ITTF/USATT/CTTA approved

The true HAMMER of short pips. This product is suitable for close to the table hitters and power blockers. Very large conical shaped pips, tops are cross checked and rubber is hard and spinney.

This is a special production of 35 degree soft sponge, (note that this is NOT the poor playing German version). This sponge has solved the control problems of 802-40. The special 35degree adds to spin and also gives this hitting pip some much needed touch. 802-40 is probably one of the best all out attack pips on the planet.

Speed: 120
Spin: 80
Control:110
Deception: 0
Sponge: Soft

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Hi Rhonis, he uses short pips RITC 802-40 by 729Friendship. You can find it at :
http://www.megaspin.net/store/default.asp?pid=r-802-40

Here are some write up about it:

Great hitting rubber
Good spin for a pip
Produces good spin
Suitable for attacking players
ITTF/USATT/CTTA approved

The true HAMMER of short pips. This product is suitable for close to the table hitters and power blockers. Very large conical shaped pips, tops are cross checked and rubber is hard and spinney.

This is a special production of 35 degree soft sponge, (note that this is NOT the poor playing German version). This sponge has solved the control problems of 802-40. The special 35degree adds to spin and also gives this hitting pip some much needed touch. 802-40 is probably one of the best all out attack pips on the planet.

Speed: 120
Spin: 80
Control:110
Deception: 0
Sponge: Soft

Ok i just checked it out and for me it's to much offensive. The rubber is for really agressive play. I think for me the pips that are between 802-40 and 729-799 is the best. For 799 these are the stats:
Speed: 9+
Spin: 8
Control: 9
Hardness: °
Type: medium-short pips-out

- 729 Friendship RITC 799 Tackspeed Rubber
- Good elasticity, high speed, effective spin
- Great for service returns

from the site: http://www.presports.com/729-friend...5.html?zenid=10606fbd1e076dd1af5b2d305ba04485

The site says this about 802-40:
Speed: 12
Spin: 8
Control: 11
Hardness: 35°
Type: pips-out

- 729 Friendship 802-40 Rubber (Super Soft Pro Version)
- High speed
- Supports aggressive style
- Special 35 degrees Pro Sponge
- Powerful conical shaped pips
- 802-40 gives the ability to attack pushes and service that traditional rubbers cannot
- Maximise your attack off the bounce
- Crush your opponents best shots