PDA

View Full Version : Boosting with baby oil

shyam123
03-17-2014, 11:29 AM
I heard a lot about boosting with baby oil so I took an old sheet of tenergy and applied 3 layers of baby oil on it with interval of 2 hours and here is what I got 5609

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Anders
03-17-2014, 12:19 PM
Haha, yes, It is much possible to boost with baby oil, have tried it myself.. But you have to let it dry completely and let the rubber rest far longer than with regular boosters! It's kinda boring haha

shyam123
03-17-2014, 12:22 PM
How much time do you think it will take to undome

Anders
03-17-2014, 12:25 PM
How time do you think it will take to undome

to completely undome? 2-3 days, depends on how much oil applied.. But no, you should be able to glue after 36 hours or so.. As I said, it takes a lot of time haha :p

shyam123
03-17-2014, 12:32 PM
Ok thanks

xuanviet
03-17-2014, 12:42 PM
What will we get when boosting our rubber? I am new to TT so I am very curious about this new trick. Beside, is it true that boosting is illegal?

shyam123
03-17-2014, 12:46 PM
Yes boosting is illegal but still most of the pros do it.
What it does is that it penetrates the sponge of the rubber and makes it softer thus increasing the speed and speed of the rubber

Rajah*
03-17-2014, 03:24 PM
We usually use olive oil on the top sheet.. after 2applications let it dry then apply the 3rd and let it stand overnight on room temp, the next day apply once again and let it stand for 24hrs. 3rd day rubber is healthy and ready for battle. Lol

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk

Rajah*
03-17-2014, 03:27 PM
Dont apply too much oil to the point your rubber is dripping wet.. coz when it dry up it will bcome crispy as fried chicken as when expose to hot environment

phillypong
03-18-2014, 12:34 AM
i have tried baby oil but it didn't have any result, only the rubber got a little slippery, so a lot less spinny.
use WD40 to boost the sponge (2 layers on the sponge) and 1 thin layer on the rubber surface.
you can also boost with parrafin oil (lamp oil or kerosene)

Der_Echte
03-18-2014, 01:55 AM
A tuner works great on softening those uber-hard Chinese sponges. Until you get to be well above average club level, you are only having fun trying to tune.

shyam123
03-18-2014, 03:12 AM
Yes I did it for fun, I don't tune my rubbers but saw the baby oil stuff on the net so tried it on my old rubber.

Der_Echte
03-18-2014, 05:24 AM
You did well to...

- simply try it for fun

- try it out on a rubber you were not actively using (cost of failure is low and it would be good experience)

altherenz00
03-27-2014, 01:50 PM
If i try this on my rubber,Tibhar Rapid Soft,will this be crispy when i apply baby oil?Will kerosene affect the rubber's sponge? Which is better kerosene or baby oil

akhil1234567
03-27-2014, 02:42 PM
i boosted my stiga calibra tour H with the same baby oil technique.... and glued it with some traditional booster speed glues.... and guess what.. i am banned for 6 months from participating in any tournament !!

#drawback !!!!!
#try at ur own risk !!!!!:p

Rajah*
03-28-2014, 01:28 PM
Donot use baby oil.. use olive oil on your topsheet..

altherenz00
03-29-2014, 06:13 AM
Heyy Guys,I have tried the baby oil. I used johnson's baby oil aloe vera the color green one.I put some on my rubber's sponge and let it dry and put 3 layers on it.I was surprised,because it got sticky,I have no glue and my racket was disassembled .I now tried it on bot rubbers and I stick it on my bat,the rubber got bigger and my game was good.If you don't want to buy expensive rubber boosters try this...

jeycop
03-29-2014, 10:50 AM
i boosted my stiga calibra tour H with the same baby oil technique.... and glued it with some traditional booster speed glues.... and guess what.. i am banned for 6 months from participating in any tournament !!

#drawback !!!!!
#try at ur own risk !!!!!:p

It was probably the speedglue they caught you at. Because if you boost your rubber no one can see if it's boosted or not. But speed glue smells as hell and ITTF have machines that shows by gas or something that you have been speed glueing. You can't be caught by just boosting ;)

PETERTT
06-17-2015, 06:14 PM
Does the olive oil trick really work?

raazzz
06-18-2015, 01:57 AM
Looks like my rubbers when I used to much speed glue back in the days! :D

Striker_
12-08-2015, 02:14 AM
Ok now we know baby oil works, but is it good? How long does it last and how do they compare to the boosters for table tennis?

achalwins94
12-08-2015, 02:57 AM
Donot use baby oil.. use olive oil on your topsheet..

I have done this, and yes , the effect has been good. I felt that I made the topsheet and sponge,both of them soft.
Though now I feel that I have them mushy soft. I don't like it now that much.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

krro
12-08-2015, 02:20 PM
Ok now we know baby oil works, but is it good? How long does it last and how do they compare to the boosters for table tennis?

No its not that good, it will make your rubber dome but i feel it gets too mushy. I use falco long boost 1 thin layer on my tenergy 05 and that works good.

fais
12-08-2015, 02:34 PM
ilike the effect of baby oil on harder chinese style rubbers. However, do not overboost, as oil doesnt dry as well as actual boosters.

Boosting hard rubbers will stretch the top sheet, improving the spin and touch in the short game, and add a little more kick away from the table (an extra gear) when youneed it. The sponge does get softer, but starting with a harder songe overcomes that.

It wont turn a chinese style rubber into an euro/jap one, but it works great for that active/fully engaged play style.

Liten
12-08-2015, 02:39 PM
Anyone tried alcoholic gel? (hand cleening gel?) :D

Hamasaki_Fanz
12-08-2015, 02:43 PM
ilike the effect of baby oil on harder chinese style rubbers. However, do not overboost, as oil doesnt dry as well as actual boosters.

Boosting hard rubbers will stretch the top sheet, improving the spin and touch in the short game, and add a little more kick away from the table (an extra gear) when youneed it. The sponge does get softer, but starting with a harder songe overcomes that.

It wont turn a chinese style rubber into an euro/jap one, but it works great for that active/fully engaged play style.

I overboosted, now my rubber doesnt stick well lool xD

UpSideDownCarl
12-08-2015, 05:05 PM
I know a lot of people on this forum like and use Falco. I have a friend who is pretty high level and boosts and he says Dianchi is much better than Falco and that Haifu SeaMoon booster is better than Dianchi but both Dianchi and SeaMoon are good.

Not sure why but he said Falco was way worse than the other two.

Sent from the Oracle of Delphi by the Pythia

varik
04-01-2016, 02:17 PM
i had to unglue my two rubber, a Xiom Vega europe and a Xiom Vega pro, both of them shrunk, im thinking on using baby oil to restore them. the choice for baby oil is because of price and availability, i dont have neither €€€ or time to wait for a decent Table Tennis Booster.

How many layers do tou thing i shoud apply and how long should i wait for each layer.
Thenk you for your help i have to do it the weekend.

Hamasaki_Fanz
04-03-2016, 04:58 PM
i had to unglue my two rubber, a Xiom Vega europe and a Xiom Vega pro, both of them shrunk, im thinking on using baby oil to restore them. the choice for baby oil is because of price and availability, i dont have neither €€€ or time to wait for a decent Table Tennis Booster.

How many layers do tou thing i shoud apply and how long should i wait for each layer.

After serveral times boosting with baby oil, the best way to boost is by giving the rubber one layer of WBG (not too thick but not too thin),
then apply thin baby oil (but enough to coat the whole surface), after few hours (usually I reapply after 24 hours), apply another thin layer of baby oil. Repeat this process until when you touch your rubber, it feels sticky because of the oil mixed with the glue. If the surface is not that sticky, it means the rubber still can absorb the baby oil.

After the last layer of baby oil. I usually leave it for 2 or more days, then I use paper to absorb the excess oil (that is mixed with the glue).

Apply 2 more layers of WBG on the rubber, and 1 layer WBG on the blade.

ajtatosmano2
04-03-2016, 06:27 PM

I boosted Xiom Vega Pro with baby oil and be careful! Apply maximum two layers because it become too bouncy! I mean REALLY bouncy (I've never seen anything like that)!

kinta
04-03-2016, 08:07 PM
I did the baby oil on my old sheet of H3, but it just take too long and the effect is not so great compare to existing boosters... not worth it when time is critical :)

anyways this is how I did it:
1. Remove existing glue on the rubber
2. Apply a light layer of WBG and wait till dried
3. Apply light layer of baby oil and wait till dried
4. Repeat step 3, 4 more times :)
5. Wait till its undome...
6. Apply a light layer of WBG on the blade and on the rubber

Cheers,

varik
04-04-2016, 09:37 AM
Thank you for your replys, by WBG you mean Water Based Glue right?!

Baby oil will make the rubber expand a little right ?

kinta
04-05-2016, 12:02 AM
Yeah.

Thank you for your replys, by WBG you mean Water Based Glue right?!

Baby oil will make the rubber expand a little right ?

Cobalt765
09-23-2017, 06:34 AM
I needed to boost my Xiom Vega Europe DF as it has shrunk. Now I've taken it off again and it has extreme dome.
What would I apply to the top sheet to bring the dome down a bit. Baby oil, olive oil, WD40, Kerosene? Not I'm not trying to add extra grip, just expand top sheet slightly.

Sent from my SM-T210 using Tapatalk

darucla
09-23-2017, 12:44 PM
I needed to boost my Xiom Vega Europe DF as it has shrunk. Now I've taken it off again and it has extreme dome.
What would I apply to the top sheet to bring the dome down a bit. Baby oil, olive oil, WD40, Kerosene? Not I'm not trying to add extra grip, just expand top sheet slightly.

Falco Life Expander, maybe. Are you saying that the rubber is still domed in the same way it would have been after boosting the sponge? In which case just wait a while.

Cobalt765
09-23-2017, 02:19 PM
Yes, I've taken the rubber of the blade and it's still a tube a week later. Won't be buying Falco, too expensive for my needs. Might as well get a new rubber.

darucla
09-23-2017, 03:35 PM
Olive oil will flatten it quicker, but the jury is still out on other efffects of that. I tried it on a sheet of Corbor Reactor (because it was cheap) and it became the tackiest rubber I have ever seen. But still played like Corbor Reactor in other ways.

FYI. https://bribartt.co.uk/product/falco-life-expander/ £18, and will last forever.. However, does seem very WD40 like.

tropical
09-23-2017, 05:52 PM
I know a lot of people on this forum like and use Falco. I have a friend who is pretty high level and boosts and he says Dianchi is much better than Falco and that Haifu SeaMoon booster is better than Dianchi but both Dianchi and SeaMoon are good.

Not sure why but he said Falco was way worse than the other two.

Sent from the Oracle of Delphi by the Pythia

Dianchi and Falco are ridiculously expensive. They do not have shelf life as these are made by non-engineer business folks. After one year they become mushy, muddy, ugly substance that I am not sure how safe they are. The manufacturers do not disclose how they are made, ingredients, etc. so cancerous substances are possible. This is a warning to TT players as I think we are probably playing with fire unknowingly. I only trust boosters/glues made by well-known and reliable manufacturers as they are liable for what they sell, not these Dianchi and Falco Chinese manufacturers. Geezzz .. look at this!

kuko61
09-23-2017, 11:42 PM
I only trust boosters/glues made by well-known and reliable manufacturers as they are liable for what they sell, not these Dianchi and Falco Chinese manufacturers.
Falco its Belgian - French company...

tropical
09-24-2017, 03:28 AM
Do we know what Falcon is made of? Any secret substances harmful to living things? Why doesn't ITTF start looking into these boosters and make some warnings? We are players thus do not have resources to analyze them.

Thanks to this post I start looking into olive oil and baby oil instead of buying unknown and suspicious stuffs. The Dianchi I got it for one year only and always store it in my living room. I was shocked to see the residues inside the almost full bottle.

Der_Echte
09-24-2017, 04:38 AM
I am awaiting tropical's report on tropical oil or suntan oil hehe. :D

overdrive98
09-24-2017, 06:40 AM
Interesting perspective. It would be nice if somebody could analyze what's really in a proper booster oil.

Shyam, btw which club do you play in? (if you don't mind me asking!)

ajtatosmano2
09-24-2017, 10:58 AM
Interesting perspective. It would be nice if somebody could analyze what's really in a proper booster oil.

Shyam, btw which club do you play in? (if you don't mind me asking!)

I will ask my friends if they can analyse Falco in the university's lab :)
Though probably they can only use the bio lab :(

tropical
09-24-2017, 05:33 PM
Today I found out the brush plastic part where it holds the brush fell apart. Is it from the chemical interaction between the Dianchi oil and the plastic? Or it is just bad design? It is brittle like a rice cracker. So scary! It is going to the trash can today. What a waste of ~$50 ...:mad:14275

ajtatosmano2
09-24-2017, 05:38 PM
Today I found out the brush plastic part where it holds the brush fell apart. Is it from the chemical interaction between the Dianchi oil and the plastic? Or it is just bad design? It is brittle like a rice cracker. So scary! It is going to the trash can today. What a waste of ~$50 ...:mad:14275

Probably 'bad design' aka. cheap material made thin.